Have found our patch of paradise...woo hoo

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by HoneydaleFarm, Oct 18, 2005.

1. HoneydaleFarm

HoneydaleFarm Junior Member

Well we have struck a deal on a house and land package down here in Tassie. Went through the house again on Saturday, and the owner had a couple of the Forester Kangaroos joeys he is rehabilitating at the moment with him which was lovely for Gracie (our 3 year old)! We have a deal on the house and land, the land property is 12 Hectares of bush and a half acre of cleared land , so we will have all the bush behind us up to the top of the ridge as well as the 1/2 acre of cleared land next to the house for the orchard...and as its on a separate title we can build a cottage on it whenever we decide. The house property comes with about 3/4 acre of gardens and fruit trees....best of all is that my hubby is happy as he only has to drive 10 minutes from work.

for those of you interested

Here is the link...house looks crappy for outside, but is very us inside...quirky is one work for it!

https://www.propertypoint.com.au/view_pr ... tyID=27578

2. christopher

christopher Junior Member

Your house looks great! I love the floors and the indoor foyer.!

It looks lovely.

Congratulations,

C

3. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

That's nice.... I wsih I was moving to Tassie :)

4. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

It sounds absolutely perfect!

Only in the wonderful Tasmania could you have all that and be only 8km from the capital city :D

I have my fingers and toes crossed for you and your family :lol:

When do you expect to hear back about your offer?

Cheers,
    Fran.

5. HoneydaleFarm

offer has been accepted, and they have allowed a condition of sale on our house in Canberra which allows us to move in and pay rent until the house is sold....woohoooooooo

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Ahhh - even more perfect :wink: Sorry I didn't read that into the original post :lol: I will now uncross those fingers and toes and cheer for you instead :hello1:

7. HoneydaleFarm

now we just have to move again (yuck)...but at least it will be the last one I hope...well except for the one into teh ground about 50 years from now :lol:

8. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Somehow our last move seemed so easy - perhaps because, like you, it was our last planned move (after moving 22 times in 16 years).

I hope your move goes just as super smooth!

9. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

SELL EVERYTHING

And buy fresh new stuff that fits in your house....

I wish I listened to my own advice sometimes.. my last move from Sydney was a nightmare............

10. HoneydaleFarm

:lol: I just know that because we have to move less than 10 km this time it will all be a bigger hassle than any of the 27 moves I have done, and some of those were international :?

Wish I had the cash to buy it all new, cos the stuff I have got won't raise enough for the hire of a removal van...

This time I have a fther-in-law with a big ole dodge truck, so we will look like the beverly hill billys

11. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

What a lovely place! Yes, I love the floor boards and the funny little atrium thingy too. What a lovely location nestled in amongst the hills like that.

Best of luck and look forward to lots of photos,
    Tam

12. sab

sab Junior Member

hey, that's great. We might be "neighbours" next year. Some people in Glenorchy are pressing us to come and live there.

13. HoneydaleFarm

14. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

I wondered what that glow was coming from down south - it's the shine off your teeth because you are grinning so much. We will have to send you some lemons to suck to dim the light. :lol: I think the house looks great from the outside! And those views are something you will have forever. Looks like the neighbours have fruit trees, so if you make friends with them you should have a ready supply of fruit until your own orchard begins to bear. ;-)

15. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Honeydale - that little wallaby is just gorgeous!

Does the adjoining block border any further bush lands?

16. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Congratulations on the move.

Many of us dream of Tassie, but family ties etc, preclude us from making the move, at least in our case anyway. My favorite place of all is Boat Harbour, to the west of Wynyard, and east of Sisters Creek (where Lisa and Bill Mollison live). Rolling basaltic hills, lots of rain, north aspect onto Bass Strait, bloody beautiful!!

Just wanted to suggest that you look closely in your design at the fire planning. You are in now in one of the most pyrophitic environments on the planet and this is a factor you need to design for as much as anything else. Simple things like gravity tank for roof sprinklers and irrigation (dont just rely on a pump or power), removal of pyrophitic vegetation near buildings (eg Cypress, Eucalypts, Tea Trees etc.), building strategic earth mounds, and planting lots of bands of lush broadleaves and evergreens. Designing for orchards etc. can dovetail very nicely with fire planning. The house though will need serious attention, unless specifically designed for fire in the first place, but this is very rare.

Grab a copy of the Australian Bushfire Book (can't recall author and I gave my copy to a mate outside of Launceston who was at the end of a bunsen burner!) and from Holmgren Design Services, https://www.holmgren.com.au "The Flywire House" by David Holmgren. There are a few other references in my library, but its at home and I'm over here in Viet Nam with just the Permaculture Designers Manual and Tim Flannery's new book on hand!

One just for an interesting read is "Burning Bush: A Fire History of Australia" by Steven Payne. Quite a read intertwinning the history of fire in Australia and its effects on the development of our unique range of environments.

Anyway good luck and I hope it all goes well for you.

Ciao Darren Doherty

17. HoneydaleFarm

I feel like we have just had a brand new baby :D. You are all welcome to come and have a taste of tassie..but beware there will be fence building and vege plots being put in!!

Francyene: The block adjoins the Mt wellington State reserve mostly, it is part of continuous bush running from the top of Mt wellington and is zoned conservation with some protected flora species on it.

Darren : Thanks for the tips on the fire stuff. We have already looked into the fire trails that surround the property and we will have to think about it carefully as there is a lot of trailbike activity up the top!

We already have a list of things to put in immediately like gravity fed tanks for the roof area and most of the plants near the house look to be pretty fire retardant.

Will look up those books though. Luckily for us there is good access for escape at last minute so will be able stay for a reasonable amount of time with hoses etc if a fire came through, and after living through the Canberra fires (almost lost our house) we know what it is like to be in the midst of it all and tend to be on the paranoid side when it come to planning!

18. Rob6014

Rob6014 Junior Member

Definition of a visitor on a farm;

Free labour!

19. HoneydaleFarm

SOLD THE CANBERRA HOUSE

Finally got a sale on the Canberra house, so we bring forward our settlement on the Patch of Paradise to before Christmas...

Never thought it would happen BUT IT HAS

20. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

yay for you.. awfully jealous