Hardwood/Softwood

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I'm giving consideration to doing some smoking of food in the not too distant future and am thinking about the type of wood I will use. Ideally it would be something I grow onsite and which is easilly sustainable.

I was thinking that pigeon pea might be worth a go. I have noticed that the branches which I cut off after the black frost, which have now dried completely, have a bit of an interesting smell to them. This may turn out to be good or bad for smoking.

In smoking you are meant to use hardwood - now would you class pigeon pea as a hardwood or a softwood?

Citrus is another option - but it grows much slower and I don't have any trees now :oops: - so not really viable for me.

2. bushy

bushy Junior Member

Hey VB, technically speaking, any wood that is NOT of the pine family is considered hard wood. even tho it may be softer in the grain than pine !!
    As for pigeon pea, it burns like propane, dont know how you would ever get it to smoke it is so volatile. Hickory is what the americans use a lot ofr.

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thanks Bushy - might just experiment with it then. It doesn't seem to be sappy - so would probably be suitable if I can get it to smoke. Of course it may be a foul tasting smoke - but I can only try.