half wine barrel full of misquitoes...

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by mischief, Feb 1, 2012.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I have my waterchestnuts planted out in a half wine barrel.
    They are starting to grow quite well.
    Unfortunately, so are the misquitoes.
    I was thinking of going to a local lake and catching tadpoles or putting some goldfish in the barrel, but am not sure if they will be okay because the water is still really murky and muddy.
    Suggestions?

2. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Surely you have some local small fish that you can stock?

For example, we have Pacific Blue Eye that we can stock here.

3. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    NZ doesnt actually have many native fish, the only ones I know of are eel and whitebait, neither would be suitable.
    I thought of goldfish cos they are readily available at petshops, but dont think they would like muddy water.
    The other 'local' fish is trout which I know would not thank me for their new home.

4. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

Mozzies are really bad this year.
    Tadpoles might help out, but this research doesn't sound very promising: https://rsnz.natlib.govt.nz/volume/rsnz_76/rsnz_76_03_005200.html.
    Don't try goldfish and tadpoles together: you'll have fat fish and no frogs...
    Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is apparently very effective on mozzies. I've only seen bt Kurstaki (for caterpillars) but I haven't used it Plain old organic growers love it, but as for its implications re permaculture, I dunno.

5. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep,

go down the aquarium shop buy some little native fishes or guppies problem solved.

len

6. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Or you could buy a small solar powered water pump. I'm told that mosses won't breed in water that has surface movement so even a little gentle fountain might sort it out.

7. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Will it choke out the waterchestnuts too? Might be too cold for Azolla where you are though.

8. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Goldfish love muddy water, they are a species of carp, they sift the mud through their mouths looking for food. One reason why the Murray Darling is so muddy. Guppies eat them better than goldies though, goldfish need lots of room, don't beleive that rubbish that they grow to the size of their container, their organs continue to grow and eventually rupture, very cruel death.

9. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I dont know all that much about azolla but from the pics I've seen of it, I got the ideas that it needed space to spread out and I only have a little half barrel.lol

10. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Azolla ia a small plant a few cm across and it propagates rapidly, you just remove the excess plants out whenever you get to much.

11. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

There are safe, nonpoisonous mosquito rings you can float in the water:

https://www.gardeners.com/Mosquito-Control-Rings/05-390RS,default,pd.html

Also, make good places for bats to live, and encourage mosquito eating birds. iI have a spring-fed pond with no outlet, and the tiny tree frogs that hang out on the sides live in reeds. But...the raccoons come at night and reach in and eat them. No cats and dogs near that pond to scare away the birds. If there are tall trees around that the birds hang out in, they will find the mosquitoes. Sometimes the termites hatch on a sunny day after a rain and I can always tell because the birds are swooping and criss-crossing back and forth. They are super smart and watchful, and aware way before I am. :)