'Hacking genes' for a brave new food world

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by mouseinthehouse, Jul 26, 2013.

1. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

2. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

If this is / was truly the last attempt I am grateful; Now the world can get on doing permaculture with heirloom / non-gmo plants. :D

3. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I do find that attitude strange some times(and I do share it, so not a poke). The more I learn, the more I see that it's just so simple to do. But then I realize that I used to be one of those people who loved to buy junk all the time. I think it's time I took this show on the road, but I just haven't figured out how I should personally go about it(I kind of suck at teaching, and I'm not much of a talker in front of a group of people). I'd love to just quit my job and live the life, but I can taste retirement...and that constant source of income will only help me down the road. As they say, "ignorance is bliss" I guess!

4. Earth's Internet

Earth's Internet Junior Member

The Chinese as well have been working on this idea for a while in what they are attempting a transgenic Rice strain they wish to call, "Super Green Rice". All of this bastardization of Nature is the result of a philosophical religious concept of Nature is a bad designer. [it's a longer off topic story and I'm not going there] None the less, it's this philosophy that Nature is less than perfect, therefore modern industrial science knows better how to improve upon it.

BTW, some of you may be surprised to know that there is a website out there called, https://thegsr.org/ which is otherwise known as, The Official Website of Super Green Rice". Here an interesting but not surprising quote from the site's opening paragraph.

You know, any time you read a quote from these people that reads: “Green Super Rice for the Resources-Poor of Africa and Asia” , please remember, this has zero to do with humanitarian caring and more to do with a business decision. The spin on caring for fellow humans is a P.R. promotional spin for pimping their product under the guise of "Because we care". From what I have always understood, caring and sharing never had anything to do with profit motivation. Bill 'Eugenics' Gates never ventures far away from a good business deal.

Yesterday, discussion around this forum revolved around microbes and agriculture. Why are the industrial elements not promoting ways of competent research regarding intense farming of [unaltered] micro-biological mechanisms for innoculation of all heirloom seeds ? You know, they way nature has been doing things for countless thousands of years ?

5. Peter

Peter Junior Member

Bill Gates is into this also.

6. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

While I had to dig to find that super green rice is even a GMO, it doesn't seem to be transgenic. Most of my issues with GMOs stem from transgenic manipulation and to the corporate bent manipulation(ie: roundup ready, etc.). I'll hold off on my judgement on super green rice.

However, I do agree that lands should be made arable through increasing the succession rate, compost, mulching, earthworks, etc. They can also reduce their pest problems by planting rice in a polyculture. I believe the saying is "starting from the ground up". I'm not sure why people don't take that more literally.

Nobody's figured out how to make a big business model from improving soil. If they had, we'd probably be looking at GMO bacteria and fungi inoculants...

7. Earth's Internet

Why ? Just go to their own blog - https://greensuperrice.blogspot.se/

Insect-Resistant Genetically Modified Rice in China: From Research to Commercialization

They work with the developers of the Chinese Rice with the insect resistant GMO rice and speak of breeding several of these strains together(250) and also of the development of it being drought resistant. Now the funny thing about that is that microbiological microbes and other endo mycorrhizal strains already perform this task if used. In fact, that's what Nature does. To make it easier for farmers, Mycorrhizal companies may have to develop a way of treating seeds with innoculum before planting. Although I believe MycoApply is water soluble and is somehow incorporated into the planter itself. Still, for 3rd world farmers who don't have expensive equipment, some type of pre-treated seed may be far better.

Agreed

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when the Moderator (9anda1f ) posted his piece on 'Linkfest' where the India Farmers were successful in doubling or tripling their rice production without GMOs or fertilizers, just simple Barnyard manure. *smile* What will they GMO next ?

8. Earth's Internet

9. Peter

Peter Junior Member

To make it easier for farmers, Mycorrhizal companies may have to develop a way of treating seeds with innoculum before planting. Although I believe MycoApply is water soluble and is somehow incorporated into the planter itself. Still, for 3rd world farmers who don't have expensive equipment, some type of pre-treated seed may be far better.[/I]

I have been promoting Seed Treatment for some time. When purchasing my microbes you are given directions (both written and graphics on how to treat the seeds which is simply soaking the seeds in a mix of the microbes and water. For rice I suggest 3 hours soaking and then plant.