Guinea fowl and snakes

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by emilyjane, Oct 31, 2012.

1. emilyjane

emilyjane Junior Member

I found my dog playing with a very angry brown snake a couple of days ago. After rushing to the vet to see if she'd been bitten or not (luckily not) and seeing another very large brown snake twice in our garden over the last week I've decided that something needs to be done - it seems that it's only a matter of time before the dog gets bitten.

Just wondering if anyone has first hand experience using guinea fowl to keep snakes away and if that's an effective option or if anyone has any other non-violent violent suggestions...

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

I don't think you can rely on Guinea Fowl to keep snakes away. They will probably make a racket if they see one - whether that would be enough to deter a large brown snake I couldn't say.
    Do you have any snake catchers/removalists in your area? Trouble with that I guess, is that the snake is probably nowhere to be found by the time they get there! Have also seen those things you push into the ground which emit a vibration or something. You supposedly put them around the perimeter of your garden, I think they are solar powered. Have no idea whether they work or not.
    We have brown snakes where we are on a bush block but only once in eleven years have I seen one near the house and yard. We have four dogs (jack russell terriers!) who would surely go for one if it dared get into their enclosed back yard. So far this hasn't happened (touch wood). We have a lot of clear (cut grass/lawn, driveway and gravel area) around the house yard. A snake has to cover this clear area to get near the yard. I think that is what helps in our situation. They stick to the further out areas where there is plenty of cover.

3. Terra

Terra Moderator

You can trap them with bird net , then call someone skilled in handling them if you are not able to yourself , then long distance relocation .

Snakes are always after water so you can provide water points away from your house . Put water up high for your animals and teach them where it is .

Have injectable Vitamin C on hand for your pets , people who live in remote areas rely on it (Vets in town will tell you it doesnt work , of course the $800 treatment is better)

We have to deal with a few snakes each year they keep coming .

4. emilyjane

emilyjane Junior Member

Thanks guys.

Actually doing a snake handling course ourselves may be one of the best options since there seems to be an abundance of snakes near our place.

Those solar power snake deterrents don't work, the snake catcher who relocated a brown snake for us last year said they're useless but we put them in on the off chance they worked. One of the snakes I saw this week was within 3 metres of one of them and didn't seem at all bothered so I think that confirms they're not very effective!

Thanks for the Vit C tip - the dog is definitely the main concern with the snakes - how much would be needed for an effective dose?

5. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Please do not rely on Vitamin C in any way. There is currently no scientific data to show that Vitamin C has any efficacy in treating snake bite.

The plural of anecdote is not data. :)

The best hope you have of your dog surviving is getting anti-venom treatment at your nearest vet as soon as possible or hoping it was a dry bite or graze. If you have the option vet treatment should always be the first choice.

6. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

It seems to be the year for snakes. I've already had 5 sightings this spring - as many as I've had in the previous 5 years. The locals here would tell you it's because of the floods last year, driving them out from the creek. Could be. But I suspect they are coming to eat our frogs. I've seen them with a frog in their mouths a couple of time.

We accidentally trapped some in the bird netting we had hanging over the fruit trees last year, the trees were small and so the netting was gathered on the ground. The only reason I found them is because dead snake is one of the stinkiest smells there is. This also makes me think there are a lot more snakes around than we are aware of and that if you move one, there will always be another one to take its place.

My solution is to make sure I keep a much tidier property than I have in the past, especially where the kids are. I wonder if I am seeing them more because they don't have as many hiding places.

I think for people, vigilance is the main thing (it's difficult to teach that to a 3 year old). Dog are dogs though...

7. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Snake catcher has to legally let the snake go 100metres from where he caught it.
    Thats going to keep it away for about 5 minutes if the food and drink are at your place.