Guilding the garden.

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by mischief, Sep 7, 2011.

1. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    I took the cumin seed gouda up to AK with me.
    Bro swears my cheese gives him a bad case of the screaming shits and wouldnt touch it but dad loved it.
    I forgot to take it with me when we visited my step sis, so dad will probably scoff the lot.ne'mind
    The first one I made with the press got visited by sandflies, I didnt think too much of that at the time but it got worms so thats now chook food.
    I decided that we needed a better storage system and part of that will be to wax them, so I'm now waiting for the wax to arrive.

The other day I found the chook dome completely out of the garden and sitting up right in the parking area.
    It felt quite strange to be sitting in the truck looking at this thinking 'what is wrong with this picture?'
    At first I thought it was a late april fools joke cos it was sitting the right way up complete with sailcover on.
    Then when I got out of the truck and was buffeted about by the wind I realised that was the culprit.
    We never used to have winds like this, well not unless there was a nasty wet storm,so I'm not sure what to do about this.
    The girls were understandably, very skittish and 3 of them would not go back in the dome and today they are still out.

One of the bantams had gone broody, so I had gone off to collect some Austrolorp eggs for her to sit on.
    After this fright she wasnt sitting in the nest box but running around with the others.
    I wasnt sure if she would sit on them but put them in the Guinea pig cage we got, caught her and popped her in the run to see if she would go into the nestbox and stay there.
    So far so good.

Today the spca brought around a cat trap so we could get rid of a mum cat and 3 kittens that decided to live in our back yard.
    I hadnt realised that they were even there until puppies' dad mentioned them.
    They can not stay, two is plenty.

I keep looking at the neck feathers of the 2 new 'girls' and I am sure they are long and pointy and not round like the hens are but they are not trying to crow or act like randy roosters so I really dont know.
    Be good if the were quiet boys.

I have been trying to find out how to make milk vinegar.
    A friend told me that their grandmother used to make it and she thought it was with the whey.
    Not much luck so far on my search, infact on the net I keep getting - 'how to make plastic with milk'- do we need any more of this stuff or would it be biodegradeable?
    Havent tried it yet and not sure that I will.
    Instead I sprinkled the last lot of whey with bread yeast to see what would happen.
    Hubby's away working this week so I wont be made to throw it out.
    At least it isnt stinking which must be a ggod sign- not sure about the wrinkly crust on the top tho.

The wheat I broadcast over a couple of beds in the back mandala is growing.
    It would be helpful if I could be sure that this was in fact wheat and not just grass but I guess I wont know until it starts producing heads.

I've been spending abit of time helping a friend with their new web page.
    Thats the online communtiy webpage called wazzub.
    If anybody tried to signup with just typing in the details I gave in general chat, it wont work, during this prelauch time you have to have an invite code,so, if anyone wants it, PM me with your email address.
    I like the idea that they are willing to share the profits with the users and that they are actively trying to help out charity organisations with this as well.
    When I first heard about, my first thought was- do we really need another facebook/twitter/ whatever, but after hearing more I hope it works.
    Be nice to show corporations that you can still make money and share surpluses.
    Its probably going to have glitches when it firsts starts up, but I guess that only to be expected with something new.

Havent been able to get much house painting done.
    Still need to get the second coat to on, but I learnt very quickly (without hurting myself) not to stand up ladder when its windy.
    I thought I would be okay painting the side that wasnt getting the wind directly, but then the wind changed direction didnt it-you never saw a girl scurry down a ladder after her hat so fast.

The green egg eggplants are doing fantastically.
    After a slow start we are now getting quite afew each week.
    The skins are still alittle on the tough side.
    The black eggplant is growing but doesnt seem to be able to hold its fruit.

I have been using the chokos in stirfries- I was watching a Korean foodie on the food channel and took note of how he was using them.(ah, yes, I do occasionally watch tv)
    So far my choko repertoire consists of-
    stirfry, sliced and steamed then laid on rich creamy cheese sauce ,in with chutneys, grated up to help bulk up apple pie (it takes on the flavour of the apple) and of course, after being dried out for afew weeks in the laundry basket-chopped up and added to soups and stews.
    So there you go big M, they can be cooked in a palatable manner.

We still are not buying fruit and vege and I am very proud of that-could probably be eating more fruit tho.
    The girls are starting to drop feathers all over the place- even before their dome flew away without them, so its not from shock.
    Egg numbers are down to around 3-4 a day and it would be helpful if I could get the scaredy-cats back where they belong because I hear them cackling but have only found the egg somebody laid in the laundry tub hanging on the compost bins.

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    So far new broody mum still seems to be doing her job but she doesnt seem very happy about it.
    I am having to keep the girls in the dome all the time cos most of them still try to roost in the orange tree rather than go back where they belong and two of them hide from me and are still not locked up, maybe they have gone broody to and I should catch one of them somehow and put them on the eggs.
    I wouldnt mind the hens being out and roosting in the tree if it werent for the fact that they eat young seedlings that I dont want them to eat.
    Maybe I should be looking at some method of protecting the newly planted beds til they are too big to damage.

After studying up on coppicing again, I wondered if it would be possible to make a dome using coppiced material-chestnut for around the bottom because it lasts longer in contact with the ground, hazel abit further up cos its tougher or maybe just willows to make the actual dome itself.
    Unless I can find an exisitng tree or two I will be waiting awhile to make one.
    I found the Osier/basket willow at Southernwoods nurseries- I'm sure I asked them if they had this but was told not, only to find out that this year that they do.
    Perhaps they dont know what the different types are used for.

The 'beneficial insect border' got tidied up and mulched.
    I found things I had forgotten I had planted.
    Gooseberry seedlings do not like growing in amongst zucchinni and nor do Teasels.
    They both look alittle worse for wear but are hanging in there.
    Found another rogue potato with a very nice crop of tubers, although alot of them had green tops.About the same weight as the planted ones and very tasty.

The TP tree seed have sprouted everywhere with the biggest being 2 feet high already.
    I have pulled out all the ones that are growing in the wrong spot and used them to mulch the border.
    The 4 o'Clock marvel have been pulled over away from the mulched area so their seeds drop where I will mow.
    I'm going to have to thin these out or plant them somewhere else.
    They sprawl and cover quite a big area which is not so good, but the bees just love them so they need to stay(somewhere).

The Tea Camillia is doing well, but still too small I think, to take cutting from.
    The Plum tree is too close to the garden and I cant decide whether to just leave it there and deal with it or to move it in late winter-annoyed with myself.

The cape gooseberries have taken over the whole bed and surrounding paths and have heaps of flowers and fruit on them, but I havent found any fruit that are ripe yet which is worrying.

I was reading Kay Baxters garden blog and was relieved to see that they have had a hard time getting things to ripen this year too-not enough sun when you really need it.
    The capsicums are well formed but not going red-I dont like green caps.

The Kumara patch is still looking fantastic with lots of leafy growth, not sure what is happening underneath until I get to dig them up.
    I'm hoping this nice hot dry weather we are having now will help make good tubers.
    I love kumara and would choose this over potato if I can get it to grow well.

The blue popcorn is looking very raggity and dead but it isnt.
    I had a sneaky look at the cobs and they arent blue so it is as we probably all thought and these crossed merrily with the supermarket type that were grown on the other side of the garden.
    The cobs are very petite this year but I learnt that even the maize crops the farmers are growing are almost half the size this year so they arent happy either.
    I do wonder why I bother trying to grow these different types of corn when there is a real risk of cross pollination with the maize.

I have been carefully collecting and drying seed for next year and storing them in small glass jars -baby food jars that a friend of my daughter fed their son out of.
    While, I am thrilled to have them, I think its terrible that kids get fed this stuff, especially when mum is a stay at home and has the time to cook it up.

I waxed the first cheese last week, it was about 3 weeks old,doesnt look like shop ones, bit lumpy bumpy but aim happy with it.
    It feels like I have a present that I discovered in the top cupboard and have to wait til Christmas to see what it is.
    Yogurt is going good, made feta and camembert this time.
    The feta recipe called for rennet and culture and has a completely different texture to what I am used to-I think I prefer the crumbly sort you get from using lemon juice or vinegar.
    I had to buy some containers to store the cheeses in and some extra mats to go underneath them.
    So far the camembert is looking ok and starting to get that furry look, it smell abit odd though, but so far so good.
    I tried to recreate the cottage cheese again without success, it just wasnt the same,funny how a mistake can taste fantastic and following the recipe doesnt turn out.
    Try, try and try again.

Hubby's been helping someone fence a section off for their daughters new horse and had to cut down quite afew small diametre trees to make the required straight fence, so we have been getting afew loads of firewood to dry out for next winter.
    Alot of it is black wattle with alittle manuka-I was scratching around to see if I could find any seed pods but didnt.
    Actually, Im not sure if it is manuka or Kanuka sounds the same,looks similar but isnt the same type of tree.
    In the end I wound up buying some seed for the pink manuka.
    When I went to collect the last lot of fertile eggs, I drove thru an area that I knew used to have these scrubby trees growing up the hills.
    These are now all gone and replaced with exotics and grass.
    This made me realise that I have not seen any in my travels.
    You could tell manuka cos the hillsides would be covered in white flowers making them look like they were covered in snow.
    I decided we had to grow these to make sure they dont get lost completely and will look around for the white flowered type as well.

I emailed the dept. of Conservation to find out if they had any information on what NZ natives can be coppiced, I have a feeling though that because they are evergreens, they wont be able to be coppiced.

3. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

mischief, I don't know the science, but my folks coppice the evergreen Australian Melaleuca alternifolia for oil. I can't remember the details and I think it was to do with oil rather than coppicing, but they decided against growing manuka. Looks like it will coppice though.
    Corn's off the list again, I can't justify the strain on my soil. Wll, I wanted to grow drying beans and this summer's been ideal for the runners. At this rate the vines will be alive for months.

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    (big sigh)
    Looks like Im going to have to stop being so lazy and actually water the garden from now on.
    I got quite afew beans to dry but not spectacular-unless they didnt like growing with the sunflowers.

I think the sunflowers may have got abit stressed with the pole beans growing up them.
    Today I was hacking the stalks up and noticed that there are alot of brown marks on the sunnies stalks where the beans had made contact- I guess they were just too tight and pinched in on the growing surface.

Have to look around for another sturdy stake idea.

This year for me was to try out the companion planting things to see if it made a difference but I didnt really do that so I suppose it turned more into the year of cheese or Pumpkins.

5. annette

annette Junior Member

I love reading your posts. I put my french beans on some old bit of fencing this year and it worked well. Will have to harvest, blanche and freeze them soon.

6. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Not much happening over winter,I'm working everyday again and most of the time onlyhave time to feed everyone and chop wood for the fire before its too dark to see.

We did have afew dramas afew weeks ago.
    The long lost hen I thought was just gone, turned up.
    At some point I might find the clutch of eggs she had tried to hatch out.

She hopped into the dome again which she now realises was a Huge mistake cos when I came home I had to rescue her.
    She had been so severly beaten up she had raw wounds on her back and head.
    She now lives in the porch and I just dont have any time to do anything other than let her be for now.
    I have managed to get her to come up to the dome to eat(outside of it) so the others can get used to seeing her around again.
    She hangs out with the hen that simply refuses to go anywhere near the dome since it blew across the yard.
    I wasnt sure if she was even going to live when I first got her out, but after a week or so her wounds scabbed over and appear to be growing new feathers.
    I thought she was going to have bald spots for the rest of her life, but she is looking pretty good.

We definitely have two roosters,they still arent crowing and they do look pretty, one is more colourful than the other and is the dominant one.
    He has stopped pecking the hell out of my leg when I turn my back on him which is good or he would be being visited by my son in law with something somewhat sharp.

The kumara finally died down and I have managed to dig up one row so far.
    Alot of them were really thin and long, not practical to cook,but I did get quite afew that were nice and fat.
    There was one FAt one just sitting on top, half and half out of the soil,the hens had had a bit of a nibble-one of the orange type which tasted fantastic, but I havent got to digging up that part of the bed yet.

In spite of the frosts we've had, the cape gooseberries are still green and still flowering.
    Im not sure that they are ripening tho,its been so long since I grew these that I just cant remember and dont know if I should go along and collect them all or leave them till the frost kills them off.

I dug around the baby nectarine tree to severe all the roots so when its time to dig it up and move it, it shouldnt suffer so much from shock,it still has leaves on it and although we are getting alot of mild frosts, the days are hot.
    Actually think some are hotter than the summer days we had.

The broad beans self sowed where we had obviously dropped beans so I havent had to resow these.

The mini popcorn were an absolute joke this year and were simply pulled off and fed to the chooks who chased each other around the yard trying to steal them off each other-dumb really, cos there were more than enough to go around.

I obviously sowed the Turnips ans swedes too early- they grew to small basket balls before we could get through them all and are now too strong tasting for my liking but I have been assured that the chooks will love them if I cook them up for them.

I did get to harvest the pumpkins on hubbies side and got 6 that looked all the same size and shape-around 5 kgs.
    I didnt weigh all this sort so I dont know exactly how heavy they are.
    The second frost we had killed off all the greenery so I could see where they were.6 were so big I had trouble carrying them and odd bumpy shapes.
    I've got the camara back so I'll take some photos of them.
    Once again the porch is full up with Stuff, but this time its all mine from the garden.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It's nice reading what you are up to because your change of season predicts what I have around the corner for me. My pumpkins are starting to fill out but aren't quite ready to pick yet. I haven't explored the nooks and crannies of pumpkin land, but there are at least 10 that I can see and probably that number again hiding!
    I'd love to see a basket ball sized swede! They might be OK if you use them to make stock from.
    My kumera never dies down, it just stops growing quite so prolifically in winter. But I don't get frost here (yay! I don't like the sound of frost...). I just go out every so often a pick up a bucket load to put in the cupboard, and repeat the trip when that lot runs out. There are rodent nibbles on most of them so I'm obviously feeding the local mouse family, but the cat reaps the benefits of a nice juicy mouse a few times a week and that is just that little bit less cat food. All works out in the end!

8. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    There is supposed to be a type of Kumara in the Islands (dont know which one sorry-probably Samoa or the cook Islands), that has the tubers growing around the edges of the plant abit like Potatoes.
    This was told to me by a girl I used to work with who 'caught' her mother trying to bandycoot her kumara patch thinking they grew like that here.
    She thought it was funny and I didnt think much about it afterwards because it wouldnt grow here being too cold....but...
    it should grow for you seeing as you are tropical/subtropical, if you can find it.
    I could try asking the girls I work with now if they know about it but most of them are second or third generation and dont seem to be into their gardens.Their mums might remember.
    I do have a big swede in the garden I found under some cape gooseberries but it isnt quite basketball size.
    The turnips are really strong tasting so Im going to have to cook them up on the woodstove for the chooks.
    Next time I'll know to sow them in mid/late summer so they are the right size for winter.

The biggest lesson I learnt about pumpkins is NOT to walk through them once they were growing well as they seemed to get powdery mildew soon after Especially if they were wet or had dew on them.
    I like to let them store for a month orso before I eat them so they dry out and firm up-I dont like soggy pumpkin.

Our cats dont seem to eat their toys so they wind up being tossed in for the chooks who stand around them eyeballing them first with one eye then the other before they hoe in.

9. hijrah

hijrah New Member

I have an abundant amount of privet and see that some have some experience working with it here. What should I be thinking about in respect to how privet and permaculture work together or not?

10. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi hijrah,
    First response is the classic...It depends.haha
    It does depend on where its growing, how you are growing it-as a hedge?or is it popping up all over the place?Do you trim it before it sets seed?(You should)
    My privet is mostly growing in the hedge, it wasnt planted, the birds I guess helped poop it there and it does a good job.
    I let it flower cos even tho I do suffer from hay fever everynow and then, it doesnt seem to be the privet that does it to me and I quite like the smell of it.
    It seems to attract alot of bugs to the garden which the Fantails love.
    The hedge trimmings get scattered over the garden when they are cut at teh right time(and are short).
    If I have got lazy and left it too long then they are left in bunches between rows of plants or seedlings to protect them from being dug up by our cats and to drop all there leaves there.
    When the leaves have all fallen off, with the last lot I laid them ontop of the compost bin to give the compost a bit of shade from the summer sun.
    From there, I have tried to use them as stakes for growing peas, but I seem to be hopeless with Peas and now leave them til winter-now...after feeding the chooks each night, I gather afew of these branches even if it has rained, break them up and use them as kindling for the evening fire.They dont seem to hold much rain water and still burn ok but obviously not, if its been a heavy down pour.
    After afew days they are dry again- you can tell by the way the branches snap or not.

I have one small privet tree that regrew from the stump right next to one of the baby Avocadoes I planted along side our garage.
    I have left it there as a frost protector for the Avo and when it too large or branches get in the way, I snip it back and chop it up for mulch around the trees.
    The other one growing under the
    largest Avocado tree gets chopped off at the ankles every now and then but I only do that when it starts hitting my face as I walk past.
    This one tends to grow long branches that grow outwards rather than up and screen the door to the garage from the road- I like my privacy and like that nosey people cant see in when this door is open.
    All other self sown seedlings are ruthlessly pulled out when they are quite small or I have differculty getting them out, these usually just get used for mulch on the nearest bed and dont re-root.
    I make sure the roots of these are up off the ground just in case.

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I started clearing up some of the older pumpkin vines today and now have 9 pumpkins sunning them selves on the the back deck. And that was less than 1/4 of the pumpkin area.... oooooooOOOOOO That's going to be lots of pumpkin! Maybe I can find a gluten free pumpkin scone recipe somewhere.

12. hijrah

hijrah New Member

Thanks.

13. Ludi

Ludi Junior Member

14. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Well, my surplus of pumpkins has paid very nice dividends.
    One of my neighbours now brings me packs of mussels when they get some given to them and I have a very nice bottle of home brew whiskey-smokey bacon flovoured.
    To be honest I cant really taste that, but it is a very nice drop all the same.

Houdini, still lives in the porch, I've managed to get her to hop in the dome for each meal and some times she is still there at the end of the day.
    Come nighttime, she's back in the porch.
    I'm sure its because she is addicted to cat biscuits and cant wait til the door is open in the morning so she can clean up whatever the cats left behind.

I still havent got the other hen back in the dome at all.
    I am currently trying to feed everybody in there with the door open but she just wont go in, even with me not letting her have any wheat outside, but she wont budge and I havent been able to catch her.

With all the vegetation dying back over winter, its been easy to see where all those annoying nests of eggs were-there are little pockets of eggs in 7 different places that I have found so far.
    Two of these I did know about but after being empty for so long I stopped checking on them.
    The one in amongst the ferns is being used again and I have taken out the three most recent leaving some nasty old things behind.
    I would never have found the ones tucked away in the pumpkin patch while those were still growing, so I think I'll assign the roadside garden as the official patch from now on.

I have started collecting the old eggs as I find them and popping them under the nearest fruit tree and covering them with abit of compost.
    I'm pretty sure they wont explode unless they get trod on and thought they would fertilise the trees.

A couple of weeks ago,I was running late for work, raced outside in time to hear a cock crow!
    I didnt have time to stop but when I got home I set up one of the rabbit cages in the hallway and popped the pretty looking rooster in there.
    When I went up to close the dome up for the night the other one started, so I had to haul the other cage inside and get Him in as well.
    For afew days I lived with 2 lively young boys in my hallway, til my son in law came to rescue me.
    Hw showed me how to quietly and stressfree kill chooks.

Or it should have been.

My daughter and I were in the living room having a cuppa while he was storing some of their stuff in our back yard.
    In he walked with the rooster and explained that holding it as he was by the 'ankles' kept them quiet, then holding the head just so and click- broken neck,.... or so we thought.

The rooster was limp and appeared to be a corpse, so he took it into the kitchen put it in a tub I had ready and put the jug on to boil.
    While it was boiling we started hearing scrabbling noises coming from the kitchen and found to our horror that the rooster was regaining conciousness, so SIL had to do the deed again only this time making bloody sure the thing was actually dead!!

Just as I was thinking 'Ok,I think I can do that', to 'thank gods it wasnt me doing it I would have had the jug boiled before I started and be in the process of ...arhh'.

So lesson learnt-make sure it is dead.

We all decided that perhaps it would be better to break the neck and then bleed it out by cutting the jugular.
    Doing it this way,(properly the first time), means that you dont get that frenzied running around....
    I had a traumatic experience when I was very little, seeing chooks running around with no head and squirty things where its head used to be and so even after buying a brand new hatchet(to make sure it was sharp), I couldnt do the deed.

I still have a cage, or rather a hutch in the hallway, hubby was bemused by this when he came home and I dont think really knew what to say about it, so, he did the wisest thing and said absolutely nothing.

I called the vet to see if it was possible to de-voice a rooster and was told that as far as he knew it wasnt illegal but that it wasnt done very often- he had done only 5 in the last 15 years so I asked him to do ours, even though the chances are slim that it would work.

He was more concerned that the rooster would not make it through the anasthetic.
    'Mister', did make it but still crows, in fact he seemed to be more rooster like when I got him back home with his girls and really showed them all a good time.
    I'm sure its not as loud as it used to be but both my neigbours' bedrooms are on the side of the house closest to our back yard.
    Sooo... every evening before I go to bed I collect the rooster and bring him inside.
    He has got used to being handled and doesnt kick up a fuss when I pick him up.
    If its dark I can now tell if I grabbed the black hen by mistake as she gets most offended, so I take my nasty little mitts off her and go for the other black shape on the perch.

In the morning I stand back and open the hutch door.
    I found that he is used to me herding him from behind and rather than trying to get him to follow me.
    Off he trots down the hall to meet up with Houdini at the cat biscuits, he chases her outside and I chase him.
    He doesnt even poop on the floor any more.(good thing we have wooden floorboards and not carpet)

Last weekend, hubby begged to be able to crack open the Gouda that I waxed and had stashed int the cupboard.
    It was in there out of sight because I was afraid that it had 'blown'.
    The top had started to bulge slightly which I had been told was a sign that bacterial contamination had occurred.
    I warned him that it was probably chook food but he cut ti open and had a taste and declared it to be mighty fine cheese.
    Surprised, I had alittle myself.I could taste an aftertaste that you dont normally associate with Gouda so I had a swig of cider vinegar to kill off any bugs I may have ingested.
    After a couple of cheese, mustard and rocket sandwiches,I popped some under the grill to see if it would melt and IT DID!!
    Finally, cheese that will melt like its supposed to.

The reason for that odd aftertaste became apparent.
    It was contaminated with blue vein mold.
    Not strongly so, but with the cheese grilled it definitely made that flavour come out.

I had put alittle swiss cheese culture in it as well cos I had wanted holey cheese and couldnt remember if gouda did that or not.
    That must have been why it bulged abit.

This week, I had a day off, so after having a sleep in, breakfast in bed and doing much needed housework, I got all Alliums planted out.
    yes these are all in two beds right next to each other so I have to make sure that only the pearl drops are allowed to flower and set seed next year.

Our super market had got in some hard neck garlic for the first time ever and I was down to the last 2 cloves before I realised that they might not get any more in-which they didnt,so these will be grown as a future 'seed' crop.

There are alot of shallots that I grew last year and had braided a la purplepear,some white garlic and pearl drop onions that I will let set seed.
    I got two different types of tree onions from Koanga nurseries and all the tiny red onions I sowed way too late last year.
    Hopefully they will grow alittle larger this year and that I cant stop them before they try to set seed.

Opps, just realised that I am going to have to put some distance between the tree onions (and the pearl drops) or they will cross.

Apart from that, things have been let do there own thing and are looking alittle shaggy.

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I love your rooster story! What a privileged chap he is...

16. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Its cos he's sooo handsome an virile...haha
    (and I really do want to have his chicks, although I really do think bantam type hens are not what we need,pity the Austrolorp eggs didnt hatch out.)

17. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    We might have a WatchRooster.
    This afternoon, he started crowing but it sounded odd and seemed to getting louder each time.
    I had let them out of the dome so they could have a dust bath under the trailer, when I went out to see if anything untoward was going on outside, I found the lot of them milling around the courtyard instead of under the trailer where they normally were that time of day.
    Over by the truck I noticed a couple of plastic bins that I hadnt seen before.
    Looks like the council have sent us some useful things-one bin to put plastics and glass in and another to put other recycleables like tins etc...
    So now I have them out by the back door and have two 2 litre milk bottles in the appropriate bin.

I'm looking forward to the end of the month so I can start getting my farm fresh milk again and not have to buy shop milk for the next 9 months.
    Just hope whoever it was that delivered the bins doesnt tell on me about having a rooster.

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Just tell them it is a stuffed one with a sound recording in it to keep the foxes away....

19. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Mischief, I always take note when I hear the roosters (and the hens) talking loudly, and when they are huddling with necks craned I can be sure somethings is amiss...

20. Shawburn

Shawburn Junior Member

Choko uses

Mischief , I read that you put the Choko in with Apple Pie.
    Thanks for the tip. We got 30 off one vine
    and it occurred to me that maybe we can use it with Rhubarb too.
    Just have to freeze it since they dont come out of the garden at the same time.
    With Chutney is a good idea too since it will not go completely mushy.