Growing Strawberries from seed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Cornonthecob, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

Yes I know, why would you bother.

I wouldn't bother, except for the fact that I've never done it...have tried...and tried, but with no success.

Has anyone tried growing strawberries from seed?

2. greeny

greeny Junior Member

phoenix seeds ( tassie) sells Alpine strawberries. I have germinated these from seed. Alpine strawberries are hardy, produce almost all year round. Last for seasons and the small , easy to pick berries are the most fantastic strawberry flavour you will most probably ever tast! .. :scratch:.. I should sell them.... :wink:

3. Cornonthecob

I've seen those seeds for sale.

How did you grow them...what did you do?

4. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

that reminds me, anyone have a good recipe for strawberry jam? :)

corny, i think there's a special thing they do, sorta like a dance where they wave olive branches over the seeds whilst chanting the text from the writings of jackie french. the energy they evoke somehow stimulates the growth hormones and voila, strawberries!

let us know how you go with them, i'd like to grow strawberries too.

5. greeny

greeny Junior Member

Because they are non hybrid , once you have your first plants you can grow others from seeds of the first...athough each year you can divide them...much easier. They are tiny seeds so a bit of care is needed that germination soil remains moist. :dontknow: Gee if I can do it any one can! I just divided mine this week, I now have about 25 alpine strawberry plants. Even ate a couple of berries!

6. Cornonthecob

Hmmm, I'll give it another go....if thre's one thing I want to be able to say before I die it's that I grew strawberries from seed. Not that I need to...have over 30 plants growing nicely here already.

Chickadee...do I need to be naked when I dance?

:)

7. Loris

Loris Junior Member

One of the best things about alpine strawberries is using them for a face mask.

8. Cornonthecob

Pardon????

:?

9. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

You know Corny, you smash up a bunch of the little ripe fruits, smear them all over your face, and then go and hold up the local bank, and they'll never know it was you! And its great for the skin...

10. Cornonthecob

I had to ask!

:p

11. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

Corny, I got some strawberry plants today and apparently this variety,
    "sweetheart" is one of few strawberry varieties that are grown from seed and used to get seeds.

I got 'em in a punnet at bunnings out of all places and all the info online suggests that these are the go if you want to get seed stock and grow lots of 'em.
    so i figured a punnet of 6 would be enough tp start me off, maybe you could try them too, and with an initial $3.95 investment, next season you will have a good supply of your own seeds and 6 well established plants aswell.

I have put them in on the edge of what is my new lettuce bed and once the lettuce is over i wanna dedicate the whole bed as a strawberry patch.
    it's in a perfect full sun spot and i think i'll regrow the patch every 3rd year with the seeds i save.

all's i need now is a cow for the cream, yum yum :D

12. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Hey there Cobber,

I have grown strawberry plants from seed - both alpine and temptations (both Digger's seeds) - they grow very slow... I grew them in one of those little propagating units - the ones that have a tray and a ventilated cover to go over the top. I planted the seeds over a year ago and only potted them up the weekend before last. They were tiny little leaves on hair thin stems for a very long time. I didn't fuss over them too much, but did feed them nettle tea a few times.

Cheers,
    Fran.

13. Loris

Loris Junior Member

I think I might be opposed to growing table varieties of strawberries from seed. I have this paranoid feeling that it is the seed companies trying to take over to stop people wrapping runners in wet newspaper and giving them to their friends every year.
    When I was a girl, there was an old lady who had in her garden strawberries and roses that she said came originally from England on the sailing ships. That made me feel good.

14. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

But I don't know anyone who is growing strawberries :(

I've finally purchased the brackets and hanging baskets I need for my kitchen garden/courtyard. I'm hoping they will eventually look and yield like this:
    https://www.diggers.com.au/RNLS06/Good Food Garden.pdf (ever bearing temptation).

I'll probably end up just feeding the local indian mynas, but fingers crossed.

15. Cornonthecob

Put netting over them! I have netting over mind even though the birds haven't cotton onto the fact that those red berries are yummy! Am not taking any chances!

:)

16. Mungbeans

Mungbeans Junior Member

17. Jez

Jez Junior Member

:lol:

18. Cornonthecob

Hmmm, not quite the stuff of nightmares....but yes, I see what you mean.....we're going to need bigger gauge netting!!

:lol:

19. Tezza

Tezza Junior Member

Nice photo Set up Mung

Nice worm farm too

Tezza