Growing hydroponics ?? Read a few tips about it.

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by linasteve, Jul 12, 2014.

1. linasteve

linasteve Junior Member

If you are growing hydroponics in your garden, then you need to follow some tips and techniques to grow it in a organic way and promote their healthy growth. In following article I read some nice tips about how we can grow the hydroponics in an organic way. Read the blog at https://bit.ly/1rfRI41

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi Linasteve,
    Good initial work on your blog. Have you looked into aquaponics? While hydroponics often (not always) uses an array of commercially produced chemical cocktails for nutrients, aquaponics is a closed system that uses natural processes and fish "outputs" as the nutrient base. You can grow vegetables AND fish within the same system!

3. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

In Australia were Tilapia is banned
    You still need to constantly input, food(mainly wild fish), baby fish and power.
    If you have tilapia you only need to put in power to keep the water circulating.
    They eat virtually everything and breed like rabbits.

4. sweetpea

sweetpea Junior Member

Well, I feel really sorry for the fish who have to live in that gunky water, and there just isn't the nutrition in fish poop that there is in good soil :)

5. Teza Elise

Teza Elise New Member

Climate:
    Subtropical
    The bet I think is exactly what you point out. How to simulate or replicate in a small scale what happens in soil (alive forest soil) and transport the same nutrients in a water circulating system. The river, the lake, and the forest in the valley and a mountain is a mega aquaponic-hydroponic system. I believe it can't really be replicated but to a certain percentage it can be attained. Anything between the mega-system and a few tanks on your urban roof is a scale experiment. i.e. a 10acre permaculture farm is a large aqua/hydro-ponic system, or a tiny forest. The atmosphere is a large scale aquaponics pump and the rivers are the tubing that gets that water to communicate the nutrients to the soil/substrate-medium that holds the plants up, whether it is a 300yr old oak or a turnip.

It is fungi that don't cooperate with small scale systems, everything else can be replicated in the lab. So how large and how small we can make it work is up for exploration.