growing cranberries; raised beds or bogs?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by IntensiveGardener, Aug 12, 2007.

1. IntensiveGardener

IntensiveGardener Junior Member

Hi all,
    I recently bought 10 cranberry plants and have been trying to figure out the best way to grow them. Many people suggest growing them in pots submerged in water but i'm really interested in growing them in the ground.
    The problem is they need heaps of water and are origionally bog plants. They also require a low nurtrient environment.
    I have a naturally occuring bog/wetlands at the bottom of my garden area and this was where i origionally intended to plant them. However the area appears very fertile, although acidic which is good for cbs.
    It would also require a lot of work to clear the grasses etc. I was going to use stock to clear it but cranberries die if manured too heavily.
    The question i have is, can these be grown in raised beds?

I have a bed which is very acidic, very rich in organic matter and hold water very well. It would be of great advantage to have them raised from ground level for picking. I plant strawberries in a bed which is about 2 foot high for ease of picking.
    I'm hesitant to do this with cranberries because drainage is greatly improved.
    Must i plant them in a bog or is a raised bed with a heavy mulch of sawdust/peat/decayed pine needles ok? If so, will i have to water them ad nausium or is a normal amount of water alright?
    cheers,
    ig

2. Jez

Jez Junior Member

I've never grown cranberry IG, but I was reading about organic production in the US and it was interesting to note that their experience was that organic production with cranberries was about 50% less in yield than those farmers in the same area using chem ferts.

They were manuring and using compost teas etc, but were still way behind.

Now, I don't know the exact reasons for that (previous land degradation or many other methodology problems could be factors), but that's not why I make mention of it - the reason is because above you've asserted that cranberries require very low nutrient levels.

I just thought I'd point it out - as I say, I haven't grown them or done bugger all reading on them, just thought I'd mention it.

From what I've read, for good production rates they do need a solid amount of nutrient available.

3. IntensiveGardener

Hi Jez,
    Thanks for the input. Your probably right about the fertility levels and nutrient requirements of cranberries. From further reading i have decided that this info (cranberries needing low nutrient levels) is based on some common misunderstandings of their culture.
    While they do require reasonable levels of nutrients they dislike too much nitrogen which can even kill them. Like most fruiting/flowering plants however they need a good supply of phos and reasonable Potasium content.

The other misundertanding is that cranberries require soil with a low cation exchange (i.e, soil in which nutrients are not drawn into the humus very well)
    I beleive this misunderstanding is one made by chemical agriculturalists who use a flood system of growing for their CBs with fiborous organic matter as the "medium". This is IMO a form of hydropinics; kind of like pumping chemical filled water through coconut fibor. This is probably why the same people write of the tiny root systems on their plants.
    They may get higher yeilds but i bet naturally grown cranberries taste much better and are more nutritios.

Unless i find/are informed of peoples experiences with growing cranberries naturally, specifically in raised beds, i will be forced to plant two or more seperate smaller areas under different conditions and learn by observation. All my experiments will be using a rich, dark soil with good humus content but will vary in terms of drainage, water input and soil depth.
    I'l repost when i'v got some results (18 months - 3 years)
    cheers,
    IG

4. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Glad it was some help IG and I look forward to your findings down the track. Are the cranberries for home or for the market?

Yep, couldn't agree more on all that.

5. IntensiveGardener

Jez,
    Cranberries are initially for home. If they work i will probably plant a market crop, although only a small one. I usually only plant small crops, but a diverse range. My focus on local, direct sales only allows me to do this.
    In addition to the vegies i sell i have planted a bed each (400-500 square feet) of strawberries and blackberries(silvan) and intend to plant a bed each of black currents, blueberries, raspberries and possibly cranberries.
    Unfortunately its too much work to plant all these in 1 season and at the same time keep my vegie opperation commercially viable.
    I'm working on a website to document progress with pictures etc...
    I understand Cranberries are easily propagated so if they work in a raised bed environment i will obviously use the origional plants for cuttings too.
    cheers,
    IG

6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Where do you live IG. What sort of climate is suitable for CBs?

7. IntensiveGardener

Hi VB,
    I'm near Daylesford, Vic. Its tempotate to cold here. I beleive they need the same climate as blueberries. They have a chill requirement but also need a bit of protection from late spring frosts.
    Cheers,
    IG

8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thanks IG - probably not suitable for SE Qld conditions then. From your description of their favoured growing conditions I had been thinking they would be a good thing to try in my Aquaponics.

I was surprised that Daleys don't have them in their catalogue. Are they readilly available in Vic?

9. Warm Earth

Warm Earth Junior Member

IG, Many years ago I visited a cranberry farm in Wisconsin. They're native to the Cape Cod area of the U.S. and mostly grown in the northern states and parts of Canada. They call the growing areas "bogs", but this is misleading because cranberries will perish if they're waterlogged. Their preference is to be permanently moist, not wet. At harvest time the "bogs" are flooded with water and a big machine like an egg beater agitates the water. The berries are dislodged from the plant and float on the surface from where they're scooped up. The sight of all the brilliant red cranberries is spectacular. An American friend in Illinois grows them on her patio in containers for Thanksgiving and they spill down the sides like strawberry plants do. I might give that a try myself since you've aroused my interest, but I'm not sure how they'll go in Queensland. Now for the $64,000 question. Where did you buy your cranberries?

10. IntensiveGardener

Warmearth,
    Sounds like the water flooding wouldn't be necessary if i am hand harvesting :)
    They might be ok in SE qld with a bit of afternoon shade.
    I got my cranberries from the diggers club catalogue. They're selling them for $5.50 each. Once they're established i should have a good source of cuttings.
    I beleive there is two main varieties and this one is the type with bigger fruit (macrocarpon)
    I'm also trying to source some lowbush blueberries but so far no luck.
    cheers,
    IG

11. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Good one - sounds like they are worth a go then :)