Growing better vegetables with added CO2

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Flying Binghy, Apr 7, 2010.

1. sindhooram

sindhooram Junior Member

In some ways yes...if we breath too much (hyperventilate) we breath out too much CO2 and will get respiratory alkalosis.....also because of the Bohr effect the blood will become too sticky and the oxygen will stay with haemoglobin molecules and O2 wont be released to organism. Our health will be severly effected....if you are interetsed google information on Buteyko - a Russian scientist who was convinced that CO2 is not a waste product but is vital for the human organism and increaseing levels slowly over time by decreaseing our breathing volume leads to curing disease ,calming the nervous system better peace of mind ,and better immunity...I have some experience of this and believe what he said to carry a lot of weight.
    check this link if you are interested - I am not posting it to give in any way publicity - but just because this guy explains it much better than me:
    https://www.normalbreathing.com/CO2.php

2. Dreamie

Dreamie Junior Member

I had the assumption that this was a permaculture forum and people understood that you never use a resource for a single task you always get the most benefit out of it. I was outlining an extra use for burning wood to create CO2 not the sole use.

The burning of wood for example could have multiple uses.
    Charcoal for the garden.
    Heat for the Green house.
    Heat for the House.
    CO2 for the plants.
    Heat for Hot Water.
    Heat/Fire to propagate seeds.

3. Dreamie

Dreamie Junior Member

You know you can open up a greenhouse in summer or place shade cloth on the incoming sun side or even paint the walls. These all reduce the heat in the greenhouse in summer and can actually be used to house plants that are less heat tolerant. A greenhouse can be a shade house with very little work.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

I am no expert but I think what we we taught , in primary school, about plants breathing in CO2 and O2 out, may be an oversimplification.
    Some plants, the so called C3 (Calvin Cycle) plants, will benefit from rising CO2.
    This could lead, in natural plant communities, an alteration of the competitive balance and reduction in C4 species of plants.

This is assuming a plentiful supply of water, fertilizer, sun etc which may or may not be the case.

WIKI-

5. In the Australian context would that be a bad thing ? Just looking at the northern Nat parks we see that rainforest is kept in check by grass fires. Would not less grass growth ( relative ?? ) be advantageous to the re-establishment of Australia's rainforests ?

6. butchasteve

butchasteve Junior Member

grassland is part of the natural ecosystem, part of the biodiversity.. we have a lot of natural grasslands which are breeding places for birds and particular species of reptiles. Floodplains and salt marshes are almost solely grasses and they do fantastic jobs in providing habitat and breeding grounds for a wide range of species, as well as storing and processing large amounts of pollution that would otherwise flow straight into our waterways..

seems you are stretching your argument just a little.. :)

7. Oh, i like grasslands butchasteve, i posed the question more towards Michaelangelica's concern about "an alteration of the competitive balance". I thought the current fashion were to have more tree's which means less grass.... does not added CO2 assist with that outcome ?

8. butchasteve

I see.. But if what michaelangelicas saying is that would be another negative effect of rising co2 levels. another man-effected issue that biodiversity would face.. If you are suggesting that the co2 level rising could balance itself giving way to more forests that would then use more co2, i find it a bit of a stretch, once that level is reached, i think it would be hard for nature to return the balance..

9. Michaelangelica

The short answer is 'We don't know'.
    Very few of our rainforest trees have been bio-prospected, some haven't even been given a name.

There are a lot of 'unintended consequences' when humans start mucking about with the planet.

10. Michaelangelica, i find that a strange comment on a Permacultre forum. In the Australian contex if we go back to the year 1700 would there of existed a 10 acre area of land that could feed a family ? Is not Permacultre really just another way of "mucking around with the planet" ?

Butchasteve, when has nature ever really been "in balance" ?

Looking at Oz, Tim Flannery made the claim in one of his books that prior to Human settlement Australia had large areas of rainforest that no longer exist. The rainforest europeans found two hundred years ago was but a small area of what were once there. Flannery also made the claim that much of the mangrove areas we now think of as natural are actualy an artifact of human fire stick farming.
    Then there are others like M. White who commented in her book on the sandy deserts right up to the western side of the Great Divide as recently as 5000 years ago...aparently climate change had something to do with it......

11. butchasteve

i have read much of flannery's work, including his theses, but feel you are misrepresenting him.

Forgive me for inferring that you have your own agenda to discuss here. . I could continue, and discuss.. but can't be bothered. I am a fulltime butcher, fulltime student, and have a garden to attend to. Those are my priorities at the moment. Forgive me for being dismissive.. am a bit inebriated. but i think it best for me (after my previous indiscretions upsetting and arguing) to avoid it.

Please do continue though.. Always room for lively debate that encourages others to research further, on any forum.

12. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

13. Plant Dry Weight (Biomass) Responses to Atmospheric CO2 Enrichment

https://www.co2science.org/data/plant_growth/dry/dry_subject.php

---------------------
    “The increasing shrillness of the message about global warming has about it a certain messianic flavour usually associated with religious faith rather than empirical or scientific knowledge”

Quote via the book, “The Climate Caper” by Garth Paltridge. Atmospheric physicist and a former Chief Research Scientist with CSIRO Division of Atmospheric Research

14. Michaelangelica

15. A link to some Catalyst stories eh... :)

Seems getting the facts right are not part of the Catalyst program....

"I think a program on science has a particular duty to ensure that misstatements about the scientific facts made on programs, or included on web sites, are corrected. Your program on the Antarctic has already led a prominent journalist (Tony Wright of The Age) to erroneously accept the presentation in your program. I have already drawn his attention to some of the incorrect sections but will forward him and some others a copy of this letter so that they are now better informed..." continues -
    https://www.quadrant.org.au/blogs/doomed-planet/2010/05/as-wrong-as-abc

16. Michaelangelica

You accuse others of not being precise, yet you give an irrelevant link and just throw random, unrelated mud.
    Please tell us what is wrong with this research or shut up.

17. Weeellll, if yer gunna provide a link to a tv programe and not the research, then ah guess you can expect the lack of credibility of the tv program to be pionted out....;)

18. Michaelangelica

Did you even watch the program before you jumped in to condemn it?
    News programs, even on science, are presented by J O U R N A L I S T S.
    Do we believe FB's one man circus to discredit all climate change science and tell us what happy little vegemites we will be with more CO2?
    I would prefer to believe the information presented by science and not FB's one man Anti-GW Parade.
    All the researcher what trying to do was to predict what will happen in a ++CO2 environment so we can try to adjust for it. A far better idea I think that yours of burying your head in the sand.