Growing apples

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pumpkin, Apr 4, 2009.

1. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

Hi
    I am new to the forum and have recently set up our yard as a food forest. We have left one part of the yard for an apple orchard and we are tossing up whether to go espalier or to use the two trees in one hole method.

Has anyone on the forum grown apples using either of these two methods? Was it successful? Any tips and advice would be great.

We have apples ready to go for this winter and include Cox's Orange Pippin, Grand Duke Constantine, Granny Smith, Pink Lady, McIntosh, Discovery and Akane.

Thanks.
    Eve

2. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Re: Growing apples

how much do you need from your orchard?? dwarf stock will let you plant 2m apart, two in a hole works well and I would opt for that over espalier (a lot of work getting the shape right - though peter cundal did OK in taswegia)

3. pumpkin

pumpkin Junior Member

Re: Growing apples

Paradisi
    There are four of us at home - all adult size. We are hoping for a long season of apples from earlies to late maturing to give us longer term enjoyment but no real need for a huge amount. We can bottle and store frozen pulp to some extent but don't have a huge amount of freezer space. Would prefer to stretch the fruit out for as long as possible over the apple seasons.

I too am leaning toward the two in one hole as the trees we have ordered are on dwarf stock, or as you say plant two metres apart. I am wondering how far apart to plant the trees in the one hole. There was a comment on the Daleys Fruit Forum that suggested 18cm.