growing apple trees from seed

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by pebble, Jun 13, 2009.

1. digger

digger Junior Member

Stay in touch as I have three rare Foxwelp apple trees (the best cider apple trees with a great tannin level) in their first year of growth. They will be ready for some bud-wood to be taken next year and apparently mixing them with Kingston black makes for a cider to die for. Happy to swap some wood and spread these very rare trees around. Might as well be drinking the best cider available when the zombie apocalypse happens!![/QUOTE]

Cool, however I already have some Foxwelp trees in myself. I may have some other varieties that you may be interested in however. I have around 15 different varieties in the ground. Some were planted last year and some this year (have also planted a roostock "stool bed" with four different rootstocks for future grafting).

I am planning on using a blend of true cider apples and old rare cooking apple's to make an interesting cider blend. The cooking apple's are used for their acidity and aroma and the cider apples for tannin.

2. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

Cool, however I already have some Foxwelp trees in myself. I may have some other varieties that you may be interested in however. I have around 15 different varieties in the ground. Some were planted last year and some this year (have also planted a roostock "stool bed" with four different rootstocks for future grafting).

I am planning on using a blend of true cider apples and old rare cooking apple's to make an interesting cider blend. The cooking apple's are used for their acidity and aroma and the cider apples for tannin.[/QUOTE]

Very cool, you're on my bud-wood list for next year :)

3. digger

digger Junior Member

And you mine.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

I want to point out something from Henry David Thoreau. It was known back in the 1900's that blight is caused by a lack of a proper forest floor for apple trees.

Foxwhelp? Hmm, strictly a cider apple? This true?

https://www.orangepippin.com/apples/foxwhelp

6. NGcomm

NGcomm Junior Member

I sampled what was purported to be one once and had to look around for a crowbar to remove my lips from the back of my mouth.

On a side note I am not sure if the ones I have are the "old Foxwhelp" or the "improved Foxwhelp", will have to wait till they fruit and have them checked out. And thanks for catching my misspelling - the issue with being a fonetic speller :)

7. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

Hi Digger
    I wonder if you are still offering the scion wood for the cider apple grafts (I have been growing multiple seedlings from seed over the past 18 months, using mother nature to let me know which are best root stock for our local conditions, and many seem ready for grafting)
    I have been cold scarifying some black walnuts for September planting if you are interested in trading
    Best wishes
    Peter Heffernan
    Mornington Peninsula

8. Mirrabooka

Mirrabooka Junior Member

I wonder what the situation is with use of the Rocket Pot for seed origin plants, that are, essentially air pruned while in the pot. Will they grou a tap root when planted out later?