1. mariet

mariet Junior Member

We have been using the grey water from the bathrooms and laundry for the past 2 summers. We have it set up so we can turn it onto the garden or into the sewerage (winter). Because we have a large garden I haven't found this a problem, moving the hoses around frequently. I try to put lots of high nitrogen mulch, mostly lawn clippings and horse manure in these areas, hoping that the acidity of these products will counteract the alkaline nature of waste water. We are also very careful about soap, shampoo etc. My husband recently used first eucalyptus oil in the wash, then bicarb soda. he was trying to use natural products to get a better clean but of course I wasn't too happy thinking of the effect this might have on the veges. Does anyone know how these things would effect veges?

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day mariet,

we have been using grey water for quiet a few years now in different locations, used it on lawns, vege' gardens & fruit trees never seen any problems unless you call the mass population explosion of earth worms a problem?

we make our own liquid laundry detergent come all purpose hand wash and surface cleaner as well as stain remover, the wife swears by it and it is real cheap to make. look on our web site on the remedies page for the recipe. we then use a tea-tree based hair wash and an earth friendly dishwashing liquid.

we use bi-carb and vinegar for drain cleaning that works realy great and dirt cheap and would have to be a whole lot more earth friendly than those bought products.

len