Grevillea- how to grow?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by licky, Jun 29, 2009.

1. licky

licky Junior Member

Just wondering if it is possible to grow grevillea from an off cut?
    Any tips in how it should be grown.
    By the way i want to grow it in a pot.
    Also would it grow given it had light from a light bulb?
    Is it also a plant that can be moulded eg. bent in a way to grow in a special way (hope that made sense)?
    Can you also answer these same question but with eucalyptus trees namely the smaller species please?

Thanks
    mike

2. licky

licky Junior Member

Re: Grevillea- how to grow?

anybody?

3. dunc

dunc Junior Member

Yes most nursery bought grevilleas are cutting grown, and are relatively easy to propagate.
    It is best to keep them tip pruned to maintain a bushy appearance if that is what you are after, as they will become quite leggy, and spindly. The main thing about grevileas is they dont like wet feet. Their natural habitat is sand, so ensure perfect drainage.
    I dont plant grevilleas here on NSW far north coast as they tend to attract noisy minors, which tend to drive away many other birds. I love the grevilleas' family member - the banksia.

Dunc

4. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

hello,

please consider also that many Grevilleas are extremely phosphate sensitive. Phosphate is one of the big ingredients of fertiliser. Grevillea's of this type will not thrive in a phosphate high environment. They do well in the 'gutless sands' of Perth and the Wheatbelt (W.A).

so the tip is - gutless sands and no phosphate.

great genus for sustaining native birdlife.,,
    regards, Kimbo

5. derekh

derekh Junior Member

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Mike

Welcome to the PRI Forum.

Generally speaking, Euc. spp. are not propagated from cuttings outside of large-scale commercial enterprises due to their very fussy rooting chemistry.

Iv'e tried a few times, and even with a micro-mist have had no success.

The pro's use cutting-edge (pardon the pun) clonal technology to produce most of the 'dwarf' species you see in nurseries, and plantation species you see in the 'green triangle' (see: link below).

https://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/vro/vrosi ... onal-great

I prefer the good old method of collecting my own seed and propagating directly with that. Of course, if you are after a 'smaller' species for what I suspect sounds like bonsai (?), then could I suggest sourcing seed from one of the smaller spp. that appear on this list (if you are in a colder/wetter climate):

https://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/cold-climate ... mates.html

and the smaller spp. from the list of WA Eucs. that appear in this study (if you are in a hotter/drier climate):

https://www.environment.gov.au/biodivers ... ions-2.pdf

When I need Euc. seed from outside of my bio-region, and I'm unable to obtain it via my 'usual method', I use this mob:

https://www.seedworld.com.au/

Cheerio, and don't forget to post us some pics of your 'moulded and potted' plants,

Mark.

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I am a successful grevillea grower from cuttings...

It only took me about 10 years of trying though, and whilst I claim rightfully claim success. I would advise anyone to buy seed.

1. I took a lot of cuttings from a variety of wood and even varietal species - that didnt work for me.
    2. I did my 'own thing' - that didnt work either.
    3. I read heaps...... same thing.
    4. Some of the cuttings I originally took and had been tossed into a plant pot heap for2 or 3 years... STRUCK.
    5. Lesson for aussie natives...dont read foreign books or 'experts' that read them. When all else fails. Toss said trays and pots under a tree for 12 months..

I have collected melaleuca seed and they have worked. Remember, the genus is massive and what didnt work for me may work for you.

If all else fails, collect a few local seeds. Now from melaleuca seeds, at a conservative guess, I have had 90% germination rates. Tragically, I am not a smart enough horticulturist to get too many past this point. The issue though for me is site amendment, aesthetics and site need. So I suppose 5 in 1000 for me is fabulous.

Now, I spent a few years growing Calytrix exstipularis seed. This plant is a stringy shrub and much favoured by mining companies. I had located the Northern Australian Holy Grail....and it is amazing. It is a near weed that grows up the grader strips on outback roads... I WAS HOME AND HOSED... my fav plant, that will grow anywhere, ... called 'turkey bush' was in HUGE DEMAND.
    Anyway, after 5 years of taking cuttings, whole plants, seedlings and even seed. All I really wanted was have a few round my house [and make a lazy squillion].I threw the seed trays out under a tree. Some 2 years later I had seedlings. I do have a couple of Turkey Bush round my house now. I have learned a few lessons from this. This is a trade secret. I worked out that what was 'working' for me... actually wasnt. On a return visit to a few of my fav turkey bushes where I had dug up a couple of seedlings and put them in 2l icecream tubs .. AND LOST THEM. Well,the babies were doing just fine.

The only relevant example I can give for this is like leaving eggs under chickens, they had all hatched and were doing fine. So my reasons for failure and success are thus:

1. I am not a horticulturist.
    2. Anything that is easy to grow has been done before
    3. Some plants just need site specific conditions and you cant 'help' them.
    4. Growing natives is easy if you replicate their conditions.
    5. This is a personal lesson. It is very hard to make a plant grow in the wrong conditions, it is even harder to make a seed grow.
    6. Contrary to what I just said -grow from seed. All the best local plants grow from seed which isnt that hard to do. It is REALLY hard to grow some local natives on a commercial scale..

These days I use 100 tray/seedling trays.... and man oh man I am rapt if I get a dozen decent seedlings from it - ok.... make that 5...:)
    I also find the best potting mix for local seed is sourced from .....under well grown local trees.

I have posted this as a 'life experience' thing and I dont want to start a thread argument to this. Just as a 'check & see' thing... if you have grown portulaca or strawberry from seed successfully, then come back and argue or better still... plant some turkey bush seed. It really is an awesome pretty plant..

cheers..

8. kimbo.parker

kimbo.parker Junior Member

ho-hum, that was a good post man!.....the holy grail of minesite re-veg :D , squillions :D what works didn't :D what didn't then did :D
    conclusions; if they want to grow they will :lol:

a life experience thing sans thread argument :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I hunger for more.
    I'm a seed guy myself. Love collecting Acacia acuminata seeds in particular. Sandalwood hosts, great timber, legume, and I suspect edible seed.
    ho-hum, if I disappear permenantly i have probably karked it from from being wrong about the edible bit :wink:
    regards, Kimbo