Greetings

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Ochu, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ochu

Ochu Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a father in northeast PA. Had my first successful gardening experience last summer, even though I planted my tomatoes too late, and the heavy fall rains rotted my tomatoes. Permaculture is a fairly new concept to me, I was a mainstream zombie until about 5 years ago. After seeing a couple of documentaries, and doing some research, I decided to start producing my own food. I thought it was as easy as throwing a few seeds in the ground and watering them. Year after year I failed, and I grew even more frustrated. Then recently my daughter was born. no longer having the time to play video games, I redoubled my efforts and had a small garden.

Although I still have plenty of obstacles to clear, among them time constraints, Funding, poor soil, limited space, local wildlife, and my wife, I think my main problem is information overload. So I look foward to conversing with a few of you and sharing ideas.

Sorry for the book, I usually have a lot on my mind.

2. briansworms

briansworms Junior Member

Welcome to the forum. Where is PA? I like the bit about the wife lol. Put some organic material in your soil to improve it. Once you get worms in there fertilize with chicken pellets and water in. The idea is to feed the worms in the ground to keep them there dropping castings around the roots. No need for chemicals.

3. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Hi Ochu! Welcome :)

I think it's great that you are reaching out for information; something we are all in the process of - life long learning! I am new to permaculture too, although have been gardening and living on acreage for some time. I am always reading widely. I get ideas, write them down. Some are short term goals or experiments I want to try and others long term and some are probably pie in the sky. :) For me, I try to keep it simple and enjoyable. I don't see the point in making anything, including growing food and raising animals etc, too complicated. Start small while you think of what you want to achieve in the short, medium and long term. And if you have a go at something and it doesn't quite work out perfectly (like the tomatoes) then that is okay too. You learn as you go. Hope you enjoy the forum.
    PS. Is that PA - Pennsylvania?

4. Ochu

Ochu Junior Member

Yep Yep, Northeastern Pennsylvania, getting a little cabin fever here at the moment. The ground is frozen and covered in snow, and I have all these ideas I want to get started on. Thanks for your encourgement.

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Your main job
    Welcome Ochu,:) if you think that post is a"Book' you haven't been her long