Greetings from Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by sam, Nov 14, 2009.

1. sam

sam Junior Member

Hello my name is Sami and I attended the PDC in Jordan with Geoff and Nadia and now I'm looking for an internship or experience opportunity.

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Greetings from Saudi Arabia

Welcome Sami
    I am ashamed to say my knowledge of Saudi Arabia is restricted to bad Yank/Hollywood movies especially Lawrence of Arabia and some on-line pictures of big new buildings !

Tell us about you and your world.

What sort of experience are you after and where?

3. sam

sam Junior Member

Hello Michaelangelica,

Thank you for your prompt reply, Saudi Arabia is like any country that has it's positives and negatives but for me I try to avoid the negative things and try to make a new place through permaculture. The notion of healthy and organic does have a foothold in the public conscience to a certain extent. I saw the movie "Lawrence of Arabia" and it is about a very long time ago but some of it's elements are still alive today such as water scarcity and nomadic people.

Saudi is a large area with different climates, in the south western corner it is more mountainous and rainy than the central and eastern regions. The northern region has a cooler climate with more rain, and it is similar to Jordan.

I don't get out much so I'm still trying to work on establishing my self in permaculture and to not be limited by my geographical region. So I'm a bit ashamed as well that I could not give you a more informative view about Saudi.

Geoff showed us a 10 week internship plan in Australia but I'm looking for something similar in the mean time. I want to gain hands on experience with the whole spectrum of permaculture skills. I'm looking for a location in Peru or New Zealand as a matter of preference but any area is thinkable.

best regards,
    Sami

4. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

Hello Sam and welcome to the forum.
    I wonder have you heard of wwoofing as a way to experience other permaculture systems? I would be interested to hear your ideas on interns also - what you expect to achieve and what you expect to give and receive in return.
    regards

5. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Definitely go woofing if you come to NZ. There are alot of people here doing a range of things (not all permie of course).

We don't use the term 'intern' in NZ, so I'm also not sure exactly what you are wanting with that.

6. sam

sam Junior Member

Thank you pebble and purplebear for your advice, I recently found the link to Geoff's internship and registered there.

@purpleear

yes I have heard of wwoofing but I wanted a more eductaional focus.

I expect to achieve a strong foundation in the permaculture skills to help me in my future project. And that this would help towards a diploma and a substitute for a formal agri degree.

I expect to give my attention and dedication to the internship experience.

I expect to receive a good internship and networking with good people.

I have no prior experience with agriculture, most or all of my life was urban and cooped up in front of screens. This stay will be beneficial to me on many levels as I have experienced with the 2 week course.

@pebble

thanks that would probably be on my options list for wwoofing in NZ. "intern" is where a student learns and applies his learning in a workplace set for learning I think. The other term for it is Apprenticeship.

7. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty

Ah, ok, I wasn't sure if interns got paid or not.