Greetings from London

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Diggman, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Im here mainly as I realised that I spend too much time on answer sites relying on others who may not know much about the subject on mostly gardening / veg & fruit growing. A permaculture forum seemed the best option as theres so much to learn and adopt.
    See you all in the threads !
    ;)

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

What are you growing?

3. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    At the moment I've got Garlic and Jerusalem Artichokes in the ground, rosemary and lavendar are small but established, 7x Gooseberry rooting, 7x Damson rooting, 1 of each: raspberry,redcurrant,blueberry and gooseberry bushes in dormancy with perpetual spinach still surviving, germinatibg Tree Kale and strawberries. Potatoes go in at end of the month .I dont have enough time and patience with this touchscreen device to say what I will germinate for upcoming summer unfortunately ;)

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm jealous. I can't get most of that to grow up here in the sub tropics. But I get to grow neat subtropical things like bananas instead. Rosemary does OK but I have killed every different type of lavender I have ever planted!

5. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    Welcome to the forums, Diggman - I must say I'm always grateful when people with know-how join; I can plan and theorise all I like, but I think once I get the chance to start doing I think I'll be back here for help more often!

6. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Oh wow, there I was thinking that it is far more beneficial to be growing in the Sub Tropics! Desperate to get a greenhouse (but very limited space) so I can go for fruit types which are badly affected by the cold
    I just moved in and this Lavender was already here including the rosemary + the french lavender, oh yes I forgot to mention I got 3 fruit trees, Apple Jonagold, cherry and a Plum opal - the apple is non self fertile so I will probably better get another similar variety (those were bought super cheap £6 each {AUS11 Dollars} at the ASDA superstores) they are great for people who move often or are planning on moving in the near future, apparently the trees mostly get maximum 3 meters tall.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It seems it is human nature to want to have that which we cannot!

8. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Thanks SammyJP, sure hope to see you coming on here contributing when you can, are you limited in terms of space or time when you say ''actually start doing'' ?

In case it's a space issue, here is an awesome video from your neighbours down south of a lady who has a huge setup on her small balcony, it's really encouraging to watch:

https://youtu.be/Qq5TnrImmFE

4+ min video, beehive, quail coop, hydroponic tower, nectarine tree, tamarillo, corn, pumpkin, cucumber, tomatoes etc etc on 4 x 2 meter balcony !

9. Tildesam

Tildesam Junior Member

Web Developer
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Warm Temperate (Diggers Cold Zone 10, Hot Zone 4-6)
    At the moment I'm limited in space, and in ability - I have an apartment about the size of the one in the video, but I'm facing south (in the southern hemisphere that's the bad side) and I'm renting, so I'm fighting landlords (I have to preserve my tenant reputation!) and the sunlight (or lack thereof)
    Unfortunately most of the "OMG balcony gardens" books (and that awesome video you posted too) are all conveniently placed in the most useful aspect, so for the rest of us it's more of a case of "oh well, tough luck"

Anywayyy... My partner and I have a big property out in the country, too far to travel to often but when i do I work on designs and ideas for when we hope to move there - that's what I mean by "actually start doing"!