Greetings from a Newbie from Michigan

Discussion in 'Permaculture Groups, Contacts Activities Anounceme' started by general_cluster_funk, Jul 26, 2009.

1. general_cluster_funk

general_cluster_funk New Member

Hello all I am new to this forum and fairly new to Permaculture as a whole. I was in the auto biz for over 20 years as a digital modeler and as we all know the auto industry is tanking and the lovely GM is now know as Government Motors oh yeah and the other one too. Anywho a few years ago I had an epiphany to design and build eco-villages for the needy around the world and when I got laid off in Jan. 08 I began thinking more seriously about how to follow through. I ended up working for Sea Ray boats for 3 months in the summer of 08 then got laid off there too. I ended up going back to school at a community college in Lansing thinking that architectural design was the way to go and after finding out it would take almost 10 years to become accredited I said forget it I'm almost 39 by the time I get that I will be ready to retire. So I ended up taking a residential energy class (basically energy auditing), an alternative structures (natural building), preservation class and 2 drawing classes. After the semester I decided that permaculture was the way to go and started researching schools for an ecological design degree and the 2 that I liked most were Prescott College in Arizona and Gaia University in Tennessee (at the Farm Ecovillage Training center for those who know it). I ended up choosing Gaia and am now in the process of getting a certificate in Permaculture which will finish next weekend. I am going to be attending the Carbon Farming and Financial Permaculture courses later from August through October. So one of my concerns is that I need to obtain some experience once I have completed my courses and I would like to start my own social business (based on Mohammed Yunis's concept) as opposed to a for-profit or ngo. Doing a business is new to me since I have been a slave to the corporate grind for so many years I am a bit nervous and worried but I am confident this is what I am supposed to be doing, I really want to be able to help out people especially in the coming financial disaster and global currency. So mainly I am looking for people who are willing to work together as a team and partner up and or collaborate in hopes that we can make a dent to end the worlds dependence on governments and the elite international banksters I know this is a huge challenge but someone's got to do it. In the mean time my wife whom is French/Moroccan, our daughter and I looking for a new location to live we are contemplating Tennessee because there seems to be a lot of good and interesting things going on there, but we have also been looking at possible projects in Europe and Morocco because that would bring us closer to her family. Anyway sorry for the long winded post but I would be willing to open up any dialog and suggestions or answer any question anyone may have. I look forward to reading more posts on the site it seems like a wealth of information which I am looking forward to absorbing. Thanks for your ears...... well at least eyes. Have a good one! Cheers :drinkers:

2. gemjill

gemjill Junior Member

Re: Greetings from a Newbie from Michigan

G'day and welcome to the site,
    your post isn't in the 'introduce yourself' section so this may be why you've had no responses to your post. Sounds like you have some great ideas, and many options to try and choose from!
    This is a good forum for ideas and advice, so keep posting
    cheers

3. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Welcome General,

Apols for the slow replies but I missed it too. Have a look at the front of our site for some inspiration at https://www.permaculture.org.au

Nice of you to join.

cheers, ho-hum

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

An Absoluely terrible welcome...

... until now any way... sorry for the delay, I was baking biscuits :D