Greenhouse plastic thickness

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by recycledsoul, Mar 15, 2011.

1. recycledsoul

recycledsoul Junior Member

Hello
    Thank you all very much for using this site and sharing wonderful information
    I am building a greenhouse in Maryland, united states (zone 7). we get snow and frost here and in summer it gets up to 100 sometimes. We will take the plastic off in the summer of course. We are wondering what thickness of plastic to use, and we are thinking around 11mil. As we shop, we see many different things like 'thermal' 'uv and infared', etc... can someone please tell me which plastic to use? I am grateful

2. Glenn18

Glenn18 Junior Member

Thermal,I am sure,is the plastict that lets the heat in but restricts it's exit.Think like a one way mirror.It's more expensive than normal plastic but has advantage's in colder climates.11 Mil.sounds awfully thick.

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

It is along time since I built a plastic "glasshouse" and i am sure plastics have moved on.
    We just bought the best we could afford and hoped that nature (hail, sun. wind) let us keep it for 3 or more years.
    You might find some good advice from your local Horticulturalists or Hort. Extensions /Advisory person (usually found in most State govs..)
    Here is a local supplier
    https://www.glasshouses.com.au/films/

Here we need lots of UV protection, you might need less/

4. recycledsoul

recycledsoul Junior Member

thanks guys. we are thinking of thermal. i think that one is only 6mil

5. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    I'll be using Corrugated plastic on mine. At least the top third. The plastic greenhouse plastic doesn't last but about 2-3 yrs where I am, but if I use Corrugated on the top and regular on the sides It seems to last longer and you can just roll up your sides in summer.

6. springtide

springtide Junior Member

By the measurement Mil, do you mean Millionths of an Inch? In metric places we measure plastic film in Microns (1 x 10(-6) metres) which is about 40 x 10(-6) inches or 3 and a bit x 10 (-6) feet, most "igloo" style hot houses are 150 - 200 microns to cope with the wind (which still shredded mine when i was younger). I used to work in a nursery and a hardware shop so i should remember this stuff...
    Anyhow consider the location when you make a decision and maybe some kind of earth or rock floor to get some thermal mass to help even out the day/night temperatures. :)

7. immago

immago New Member

Greenhouse plastic thickness

Sounds like plastic might be your best choice if you are worried about broken glass, but take care when cleaning the greenhouse as some chemical cleaners degrade plastic, with the right choice of cleaner should last you well