Greenhouse Gardening

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Kneogh27, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Kneogh27

Kneogh27 New Member

My husband recently built me a wonderful greenhouse to aid in the war against all creepy-crawlies in our vege patch. I didn't stop to think about the vital role some of these critters play in pollinating the veges! :oops: Can anyone give me advice on pollinating without the bugs?

Thanks!

2. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Re: Greenhouse Gardening

From my experience a green house still has pests just a whole different varities and far less predators to help out. Sorry for that bit of bad news...Worth it though, I managed to grow watermelon and kumera in a hothouse in Katoomba (NSW) this year and I was very pleased with the results.
    However your question - pollination
    I use a fine paint brush for most flowers - I just pass it softly through the stamen and move the pollen around abit.
    For things like cucumber, pumpkin, water melon etc that have male and female flowers on the same plant I find a cotton bud works best, because you can remove the pollen from the male flower (that's the flower on a longish stalk) and then take it to the female (the flower with a bulbish swelling underneath the petals) and fit it down inside the flower near what happens to be the ovary.
    And then there's tomatoes, for these I use a electric tooth brush because they like to be 'buzz pollinated' so being vibrated from above helps.

Ah, the diversity and complexity of it all... I can't understand why people think there are 'strange goings on' in my garden
    Good luck

3. Kneogh27

Kneogh27 New Member

Re: Greenhouse Gardening

Thank you so much for the advice - much appreciated! :D