Green Power - use as much as you want???

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by StephenWard9, Jun 7, 2011.

1. StephenWard9

StephenWard9 Junior Member

I've heard the argument put forward before that if you source your electricity from a green power scheme, you can basicaly use as much as you want (guilt free!) without consideration of useage as the money spent is going to purchase an equal amount of green power as you take from the grid.

Does this argument hold up? Why would you be persuaded to conserve power? There is also the extra embedded energy that goes into making the source of electricity - in my case, building the Snowy River hydro project. And apart from the argument that small self reliance is good itself, what other reasons would there be to limit useage?

2. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

i dunno stephen,

our power comes from the grid we are supposed to be efficient, until power if it ever does realistically (being as how expensive it is) ever does replace coal and nuclear (next step) then you will be wanting to build better homes, and buy more expensive and better fridges and freezers etc.,. to cut down you new expensive powered power bill.

the way i see it the snowy scheme has ruined 2 river system none more so that the snowy itself.

len

3. geoff

geoff Junior Member

Depends on if you believe in the "green" moniker... Is something green just because it doesn't produce CO2?

That seems to be the current interpretation, but it neglects all the other environmentally damaging effects of the power production method. Even wind farms are made using steel, from iron ore, which needs to be mined, and coke which comes from coal. Copper, aluminium, gallium, arsenic, plastic, glass/sand, cement, aggregate, vehicle kilometres for installation and maintenance, just for a start. All of these things have an impact, and the more power we use, the more of these other things we need to dig up and process in order to power our lives, and that's not considering the pollution from all of those processes either.

Then, as Len says, there are the other environmental effects such as ruined rivers.

I'd say "no", we can't.

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Same, it may be greener than other systems but there is no excuse for greed.
    We have alot of geothermal as well as water driven turbine sources which are considered green.
    They still depend on non renewable resources and even if it was ok to pig out on green power I would still keep trying to cut down my consumption just because we get charged so much for our power.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

A properly built home wouldn't need heating or cooling, and again, properly made, can be one self contained unit that even maintains food at preservation temps without electricity (As seen in a Bill M video about permaculture). Being a permablitzer isn't just about the garden, its about starting with zone 0 and working outwards, in all facets.