Gravel Soakage Nutrient Footpaths...

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Changellain, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Changellain

Changellain Junior Member

Geoff Lawton called it a "Gravel Soakage Nutrient Footpath Pond Connection Chinampa Functioning Contour Gardening Bed (or something) Next To A Trellis Pond"

Basically, next to a pond is absolutely level, deep gravel footpaths on contour, with raised vegetable gardens in between. The paths are flooded with pond water, so it's just below the top of the gravel, 1/2 meter deep.

I desperately would like to know how do you keep the gravel from falling into the pond? It has me stumped!

Thanks! :angel:

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Big rocks along the edges?

3. chook-in-eire

chook-in-eire Junior Member

Mini gabion at the path-pond intersection?

4. Changellain

Interesting suggestions. In the diagram, it just shows a line. On one side is the gravel, the other side the pond water. It has me stumped. Geoff made it, so it has to be do-able! :D

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Can you post a link to it?

6. Changellain

I couldn't find anything online about it, but I saw it in the Permaculture Design Certificate Course DVD with Bill Mollison and Geoff Lawton. I have this screenshot of it.

[​IMG]

Ignoring the tractor - the right is the gravel path, filled with pond water, connected (somehow) to the pond in blue (with a trellis over the pond), and a mound with trees on the left.

7. camwilson79

camwilson79 Junior Member

This old article of mine is of a slightly different scenario, but the pipe connecting the pond to a mulch filled swale is the same sort of principle.

In the design you're describing, seeing as though the pathway medium will act like a grey water reed bed and scrub the water on its way to the garden (largely negating the nutrient benefits), as well as losing a fair amount of moisture to the subsoil below (unless you already have a chinampa suited environment with a permanently high water table), if you are keen to put effort into self watering vegetable infrastructure you might be better off looking at creating decent sized wicking beds. If well mulched the only moisture lost from those systems is what is transpired.

I haven't seen it done, but if you're really keen on the idea, there's no reason why a wicking bed reservoir couldn't be connected to a pond (you'd want a decent sized pond and plenty of plants though, to deal with potential nutrient inflows from the garden reservoir if the pond drops at a faster rate). If you want fertigation, put your ducks above your garden and fruit trees.

8. Dzionik

Dzionik Junior Member

How useless it seems that drawing out of context..... probably Mollison:)