got chooks in chook mahal

Discussion in 'Breeding, Raising, Feeding and Caring for Animals' started by gardenlen, Aug 14, 2013.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

now back to what permaculture was all about encouraging people to live simply and sustainably.

we now have:

wyandotte's

3 white

1 gold laced

1 blue columbian

originally we paid for 4 but the kind lady gave us 5 as they came as already mates to one another, just try taking one out of the group much to do.

anyhow trying to find out what their grain needs are is in by weight, so far we figure about 1 kilo a day for the five.

very quiet un-fussed birds.

len

2. mouseinthehouse

mouseinthehouse Junior Member

Sounds great Len! I've wanted Wyandottes for a while but can't find anyone who breeds them around our way. Very attractive birds.

Somehow our chooks seem to thrive on neglect somewhat. They have a warm house to hop back in at dusk and nest boxes to lay in but otherwise they range all over acres of the garden foraging all day. We do provide layer pellets in a feeder in the duck pen which they help themselves to first thing in the morning but they love to hunt for bugs and worms all day.

When my son house-sat for us in April he chucked lots of seed sweepings (he works in a seed processing plant) all around the garden and lawn and we now have vetch and canola and coriander and all sorts of stuff in the lawn and under the shrubs!! Chooks love it! Not exactly sure what sorts ours are; red ones are probably Isa Browns, have two black Australorps I think - they have great personalities and we have a little bantam hen and a useless Silky bantam rooster. My son thinks it is hilarious to do rooster crowing impersonations which send poor 'Pretty Boy' into a frenzy. :giggle:

Let's see your chook mahal.

3. gardenlen

g'day mith,

and thank you

our breeder lies near by we could ask her if she knows of breeders near if we knew of your area, send a pm if you wish.

a pic alter on, very quiet birds quiet unassuming, but yes very nice looking birds. eventually we will free range them out of the pen in the arvo's, currently the mahal has lots of green in it, i tried feeding them fresh as garden vege' foliage and some old cherry tomatoes, but they showed no interest, will persevere.

we have areas planted with clover and wyncassia as well as the native grasses to graze on.

len

4. gardenlen

Attached Files:

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Chook Mahal indeed - that's a mighty fine construction Len. I've not heard of Blue Colombian (sounds like an illegal substance for recreational use!) - are they black with a blue sheen or something?

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Beautiful, Len! I'm sure the 'girls' will be very happy. Any plans for a cock?

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If Len is in the same local council region that I am - we aren't allowed to keep boy chickens at home. :(

8. ecodharmamark

First rule of Statutory Planning: What the Local Laws' Officer does not know about, can't hurt her/him ;)

Cock birds are OK; you just have to get up earlier than they do, and then make sure you give them something to keep them occupied!

9. mouseinthehouse

That chook house looks fantastic Len. Your girls will get the hang of scraps although I have to say our chooks are a little fussy about veg and scraps. They love Kale and tomatoes but leave most of our other vegetables and herbs alone. Kale is so high in protein that is probably no surprise. (The ducks love it too.) Sometimes I spoil them and make them porridge or bran mash which they love. I firmly believe that chooks eat mostly worms and bugs and beetles and stuff. My son's firm make a product called freekah wheat which is basically cracked immature green wheat. When they have a spillage he gets to sweep it up and bag it and give it to me - my poultry love it!

Our chook house looks more like a hovel really! It was originally a bird cage we had for a rescued injured galah. Then the galah + friend went into a large aviary we built. Sadly, our galahs came to a sad end - one to a fox and one to hawk - long story. Aviary is now a duck house. Bird cage became a hen house. It is too small for them to be in more than overnight as it is only about 1.5m x 1.5m floor space with raised nest boxes. It has a corro roof wired on and old fence iron for three sides. Then it still had draughty gaps so a defunct gazebo cover and an old curtain were draped all over and held down by bricks. :) The girls like it though and give us lots of lovely eggs.

What I do is put shredded paper in the chook house on the ground about 20-30cms deep. Insulates against the cold here in winter I think. That handy son of mine brings home bags of the stuff from their office but he also bought me a shredder for Christmas so I have our own source too. Then after a couple of weeks of the girls fertilising it and scratching about, I take it out and put it straight on the garden in winter (in growing season I put it into the compost or in new developing areas). The worms go mad, it acts like mulch and it breaks down into good stuff for the soil.

Look forward to seeing pics of your girls later on.

10. gardenlen

thanks mark and eco',

only girls, 3 pure whites the blue has a blueish colour but all white, the golden one looks really swish.

so no boy crower, not supposed to but many do, believing the girls lay better when they feel better protected by a rooster. may borrow a rooster to get some cockerels for the freezer.

roosters can be kept quiet in the morn by having a rooster box well blackened and no light coming in, some i have heard slip him into a stubby beer carton if he can't lift his head he can't crow. but no plans for a boy for us.

we are using sugar cane mulch at present they poop big, right now trying to train them to use their hutch, the mahal is fox, snake, rat and hopefully mouse proof as well as goanna proof, definately raptor proof.

the girls were hiding in the corner under the hutch so pic maybe tomorrow.

thank you we look after all creatures and nature.

len

11. gardenlen

forgot to mention their hutch is insulated as well as that 1/2 of the mahal under the roof, so with roof height and shade from trees they should be comfortable.

len

12. gardenlen

Attached Files:

13. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

They are mighty fine looking birds! Hope they bring much joy and many eggs.

14. gardenlen

in 24 hours 6 eggs, once settled they will be fine.

they have never had to climb into a hutch or have green grass or vege scraps to pick. had my first of teh eggs this morn' quiet even when they lay an egg they don't say too much

len

15. ecodharmamark

They are indeed, beautiful-looking birds. I'm actually feeling a little bit clucky (pardon the pun).

16. gardenlen

ok,

these are different chooks, very quiet even after they lay, they don't get exited and feeding time, just wander out of the coup to free range all as a group no individuals, mass at the gate for free range time, don't rush the gate or feed dish at other times. got 3 from 5 climbing ramp to hutch(maybe we did put it a tad high, but didn't realise they had small wings, they'll never fly up into the gardens), they don't go madly scratching about when in free range, a scratch here a scratch there then with some guidance they go back into the run, no mischievousness.

4 out of 5 laying though that may mean 1 may lay every second day.

anyhow different

len

17. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Polite chooks! They are worth breeding from.

18. mouseinthehouse

They sound like lovely chookies Len! Our two new ones (breeding unknown) have started laying little brown eggs. They venture out of the coop and explore in a slowing increasing radius. They don't go off following the others who range all over about three acres or so. The ducks (Indian Runners) in this wet weather are free ranging ever wider and I get a bit concerned that a wiley fox may make a dash and grab when they are far from the house, but so far so good. It intrigues me that despite having two permanent large ponds on our place they have never gone in them even though they are easily accessed. Instead they get in the little blue plastic clam shell for a quick paddle! Just baffles me. Now the clam shell has deteriorated from the sun and gotten cracked. I don't want to buy another horrid plastic thing - perhaps without their clam shell they will use the pond? They are laying lots of good eggs at the moment.

19. gardenlen

they're really relaxing to watch hey MITH?

our girls range a bit further yesterday and found the strawb' patch, we weren't about to give them cream as well hey lol?

they don't pick at green stuff so much (might be omen?), we put green scraps into yard and they won't touch it, they like bread though.

yes very polite birds, so far highly recommneded

len