Good source for fruit trees in Melbourne?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by MoreBikesPlease, Mar 21, 2011.

1. MoreBikesPlease

MoreBikesPlease Junior Member

Hi everyone - first post so be gentle! :)

I want to get a few fruit trees for a garden we've just moved to. The small local nursery is nice and close, but talking to them didn't inspire a lot of confidence. For example, when I asked where they source trees from, it was "a variety of places". They also said that apple trees don't do very well, that they are more suited to inland areas. They talked up citrus and avocado.

I asked about ordering in trees, but they steered me towards waiting for their batch to come in, in early April.

Do you think I should perservere with the local nursery? Or try a different one? I'm in the inner eastern suburbs.

Or how about online fruit tree orders, delivered direct to our house?

I do have some experience planting and growing fruit trees in a more inland Vic climate.

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

3. matto

matto Junior Member

www.daleyfruit.com.au is another one outside of Melbourne. CERES market in Brunswick has some good variety as well.

4. MoreBikesPlease

MoreBikesPlease Junior Member

Thanks for those ideas - Yalca Farm looks great, I'd never have found them! However they don't ship citrus or avocado.

I've been to Ceres before - I might drop in when the bare rooted trees should be in.

To stay local, I'm thinking to try The Greenery. Their trees come in 1st of June, and should have a huge selection.

5. dannyboy

dannyboy Junior Member

Pete the Permie and his wife Sylvia are in Monbulk and are very friendly and knowledgable people. They set up the Heritage Fruits Society, are involved with Pettys Orchard, have lots of fruit tree varieties for sale at good prices and I did my PDC with him. They also sells some fruit trees at the farmers market at the Abbottsford Convent in Collingwood when ever that's on.

6. Pink Angel

Pink Angel Junior Member

I am with dannyboy. Pete does quite a few markets and sells from his farm as well.
    He will be there at Pettys Orchard this Sunday, so you should stop in and have a chat with him. Pete is also giving a talk around 11 am or so.
    His website is

https://www.petethepermie.com/

7. Dreamie

Dreamie Junior Member