Good locations to buy land?

Discussion in 'General chat' started by Tash, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Tash

Tash New Member

Hi all, I'm new to the site and relatively new to permaculture. In fact I'm still living in the city and going to uni. My dream that I want to achieve after I finish uni is to do a permaculture course, buy some land and start up my own permaculture garden. I was wondering what sort of areas in Australia you would reccomend in terms of rain fall, climate, soil quality etc. I was thinking places like Maleny, Northern NSW, maybe somewhere on the outskirts of Melbourne. I'd like somewhere close to a reasonable size town/city. Are there any locations you would reccomend?

2. Luisa

Luisa Junior Member

Re: Good locations to buy land?

I'm not up for "recommending" anywhere but you might also consider the Atherton Tablelands in north Qld.

With permaculture you should be able to set up anywhere but it's easier on richer soils, with higher rainfall, which is why I suggest you think of the tablelands.

You also might look for locations where there is a PC community to help you out.

3. Phil Hansen

Phil Hansen Junior Member

Hi there,

Castlemaine in Central Vic is a great, supportive community, always welcoming of new people, ideas and skills.

Plenty of workshops on sustainable living etc., cheap rent, house prices (compared to Melbourne anyway). Our recentyy elected mayor is a declared Green !! Climate is tough, compared to se qld or norhern nsw, but plenty of well informed people to help.
    Phil

4. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

have a look on the real estate agents web sites - just for land or rural and see waht's available and how much it costs

one good site is realestate.com.au - you can search a state witht he parameters you want

5. Suzie

Suzie Junior Member

Hi,
    I just happen to be selling my father's beautiful property in Penguin, NW Tasmania. There is a permanent spring, good dam, 4 acres,3 bedroom house and shed and studio. Raspberries, plum, nectarine and apple trees.
    The property has had very lminimal pesticides/herbicides used in the past 10 years.
    NW Tassie generally has good rainfall, fertile soil and a good cold season for food plants which need this. (although on the coast the frosts are mild)
    The best thing about Tassie is NO FRUIT FLY - tomatoes and stone fruits grow in huge abundance.

If you (or anyone out there) is interested - please email me on [email protected].
    The property will be auctioned through Bloomfield's First National Real Estate in Ulverstone Tasmania. - late April.

6. trishandpete

trishandpete Junior Member

Hi, I'm with Phil from Castlemaine. I'm about 20min from him and the climate is great, though can be dry. I really like the hot days, cold nights of summer. The cool winters are great for fruit, and it rains just enough that if you have the storage you are ok. And there is an amazingly supportive community around Bendigo-Castlemaine, decent sized towns and 1h20min to centre of melbourne. T

7. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Before you buy anywhere and maybe over your Uni holidays join WWOOF'ers ......google Willing workers on organic farms. Then travel around a bit seeing working properties all over Aust. Otherwise join us on the New England tablelands......anywhere here is great.
    Cheers
    Cathy

8. Tim Auld

Tim Auld Junior Member

Do you have any family in Australia? If you want to see them that may affect where you settle. Travel may not be so easy in the future.

Also consider that real estate is generally overpriced, and could fall to 10-20% of peak values. I don't believe it's worth getting into excessive debt to start a permaculture site. There may be other arrangements that suit in the interim such as renting and leasing farm land, community gardens, etc. Think carefully about it.

Cheers,
    Tim

9. qis

qis Junior Member

Tasmania, Eastern Vic, and NZ will be least affected by climate change. Also likely to be least affected by war if it comes down to resources. Fairly cheap compared to elsewhere, because they are remote.

Having a community and family around is very important. We want to homeschool, and would love to be part of a community who works together. Our son's grandparents and most of his relatives are too busy to be interested. I wish I'd talked to them about it before I had children!

It may be a matter of working out what you want your lives to be like, and going to a place where you think you can build that. Starting early sounds like a good idea. We are looking for jobs and a block in Tasmania ATM, and hope to move there soon.