good courses and permaculture farms in australia ...

Discussion in 'Jobs, projects, courses, training, WWOOFing, volun' started by ninaontheroad, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ninaontheroad

ninaontheroad New Member

hi everybody , I'm Nina from France .
    I ' m planning to go to australia for at least a year , I will arrive in november and I will have a working holiday visa .
    I' m acutally working in canada in organics farms , and I really want to find places in australia when I can have a good formation and training in permaculture ... I' m quite use to work in agriculture and I have a few experiences in permaculture farming in mexico but I think I really need an intensive formation !
    Any suggestions , adresses o recomendations is more than welcome
    thank you very much ! :wink:

2. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    Re: good courses and permaculture farms in australia ...

Hello Nina if your road leads you to the Hunter Valley in NSW you may be able to stay and wwoof at Purple Pear.
    You can visit us on the web at www.purplepear.net.au If not have a great stay
    purplepear
    intent - observation - intuition

3. janahn

janahn Junior Member

hi nina,

I have just hosted a delightful French Lady wwoofing here for a few weeks.
    I am a wwoof host QG189 or go to www.janahn.com.au

Regards Leo

4. Nick Ritar

Nick Ritar Junior Member

hi Nina,

We are a permaculture demonstration farm not too farm from sydney. We teach the PDC as well as many other permaculture related courses. We are also always keen to have WWOOFers come and stay. You can find out heaps more about us on our website. https://www.milkwoodpermaculture.com.au

Cheers
    Nick

5. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

6. Mowman

Mowman Junior Member

7. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Dear ninaontheroad,
    I have changed your settings to YES for Notify me upon replies by default:
    Many new members put NO, and so have no idea when people reply to their mail.
    Please change it back if you don't want this setting.

I love France, especially the French respect and reverence for food.

You might try to go to some local meetings, or write to local groups before you come. That way you will make contact with many "permaculturalists" and may even score some free accommodation. If you have trouble finding addresses let me know.

Are you traveling everywhere, or a specific part(s?) of the Continent.
    Warmest wishes
    m :bear:

8. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Of course, lets not forget to mention the courses offered by the very generous hosts of these forums:

Permaculture Research Institute Courses

Taught by the world renowned Geoff Lawton (usually including other special guest experts). You can't get much better instruction.

Though I will warn you: I have heard from more than one course participant that the food provided is inadequate and embarrassingly cheap. The staff gets egg breakfasts while the students get porridge and bread for breakfast - every day. If you're expecting 2 weeks of wonderful, organic, locally grown food, you will be disappointed to find yourself instead choosing to go to the local pub on your own dime for food most nights, just to get enough to eat. :(

In contrast, I took a PDC from Rainbow Valley Farm with Joe and Trish Polaischer. I expected to be losing weight and eating leaves and sticks for 2 weeks. Instead, we were treated to 3 meals, two tea breaks of amazing food, day in and day out. The staff ate with us, and ate what we ate. It added greatly to the positive experience. So it can be done. It was well worth whatever extra cost each student had to pay. Unfortunately Joe has passed away and the courses offered at RVF now are shorter, non-PDC courses.

Also, you may find other courses have more field trips (eg. visits to other farms, local seed saving operations, projects), which add a lot of richness to the experience and break up the 72 hours of instruction time. Geoff doesn't always plan field trips.

Like I said, Geoff's an awesome guy and tops in his field. Anybody would learn tonnes from his PDC. Just do a little research regarding your specific needs and desires, and ask a lot of questions - you're there for two weeks.

9. lmh

lmh New Member

Hi Nina,

I took the course at the Permaculture Research Institute with Geoff and Nadia Lawton in June/July this year. In my opinion, the food was more than sufficient and certainly tasty enough to get you through 2 weeks. Admittedly, I didn't have high expectations of gourmet food and was there for the learning, but we were fed 3 good sized meals per day plus morning and afternoon tea and I found the food to be really tasty 90% of the time. To be honest though, I didn't go there for gourmet food and found that the practical information taught by Geoff to be fantastic. I can highly recommend the course and the people there - it's practical, inspirational and highly informative. Thoroughly enjoyed my time on the farm - what a beautiful place!

Good luck!
    Laura

10. bernado soares

bernado soares Junior Member

I have taken a number of visits and courses to PRI and so have many ,many of my associates from around the world.The food is excellent and plentiful.Of course we all have different levels of desire.They don't have Coco pops,no coke in the fridge,no potato chips.They do have free range meat killed on premise with dignity,chicken and duck eggs free range well tractored but mighty good.You could try walking the property and eating from one of the many abundant emerging forests,or food systems.If you really are big on your tucker just go to the Pub and get a feed or the local store both are close but don't come back pissed and late at night because it is a research institute and it's not about partying or living high.In my opinion it's a paradise worth visiting and the education is second to none.
    Best Wishes
    Bernado

11. gbell

gbell Junior Member

Good lord those last two posts are insulting. My contacts were not expecting "gourmet food", nor "coco puffs". Sheesh. They are normal, non-prissy, non-spoiled, well-behaved, normal weight, and normal diet people. They weren't even "city people" or "foreigners" if you're about to go that route. Daily, they didn't get enough to eat, full-stop. The staff ate better, full-stop.

Other students other than my two contacts, in the same class, had the same experience. One lost so much weight he ran out of belt holes by the last week. As for free range meat, 35 people had to split 2 ducks for one dinner... so you should weigh all that up before trying to negate the feedback I'm sharing or deciding my friends were spoilt, complaining brats who were expecting either Jamie Oliver or McDonalds.

Good to hear other PRI classes had better treatment.

12. gregips

gregips Junior Member

go and google Geoff Lawton do a course at his farm if you want hand s on learning with theory

gregips