Goats

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by shortly, Aug 17, 2008.

1. shortly

shortly Junior Member

We are looking to relocate the family to the southern end of the Tablelands in Far North Qld for work in the next couple of months. I'm told that it is far too wet for goats (above 14' annual rainfall) & impossibly high parasite populations. Does anyone know how wet is too wet for goats?

2. barely run

barely run Junior Member

Re: Goats

Don't know about goats but there are extensive dairy farms on the tablelands and Mungalli Dairy is biodymanic and markets the best milk, yogurt and other products.
    Cathy

3. Muddy

Muddy Junior Member

G'Day Shortly,
    It is well known that goats don't like wet feet, however it is easy to provide places for your goats to stay high and dry. Most businesses throw out those cheap wooden pallets the forklifts pick up. They make great elevated work platforms for goats.
    I have a very healthy and happy herd of goats in the Whitsundays and I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be just as successful in the Tablelands. As for parasites I am quick to remove a goat that show signs of weakness on the understanding that parasites only prey on the unhealthy.
    Best wishes for your future in FNQ.
    Cheers.

4. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

As long as you provide shelter so they can get out of the rain, one would think that would be workable.

But.... WHAT KIND of parasites? Soil-dwelling or things like mosquitoes?

You might run an ad in the local paper there, and ask if anyone does keep goats. Talk to them.

Sue

5. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Shortly,

I live in 36'' rainfall country. Goats do fine. Goats do wonderfully well as they have done in most climates worldwide. They do need shelter from torrential downpours and perhaps a sloping paddock but that is all.

I would have thought the southern tablelands to be perfect goat country.

cheers,