goats in permaculture

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by inahd, Dec 11, 2008.

1. shirl-baby

shirl-baby Junior Member

Re: goats in permaculture

Goats....hmmm three weeks ago I brought 2 anglo nubian goat..registered for 250.00 each. Ripped off maybe, lol when they got out of the car they bolted. We retrieved one only. It screamed so loud for its mate, after two and a half weeks we sent it back to the owner, as the other one was no where in site, we thought maybe feral dogs had got it. The lady gave me my money back. Two days ago , the other goat turns up , in the middle of the night, we cant catch it and have tried leaving food out , but it wont eat anything or have any thing to do with us. So I guess I still have a goat? running wild, its gone agion for now, but its like a night mare,at 12.00am hubbys not too impressed as he didnt want them to start with. Any ideas how to catch a goat?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Frosty - you said that you make things from your goats milk - have you ever made soap? And if so would you share your recipe?

And good luck with the goat catching Shirl-baby. Given that they seem to eat everything, leaving a food treat out would probably be ineffective.

3. raincrow

raincrow Junior Member

Hi Shirl-baby,
    The biggest attractant for goats is other goats. When some of ours get out they just try to get back to the herd. A single goat can be tricky. Our goats love dried corn. We put it in an empty plastic soda bottle and shake it like a rattle and they come running. If yours isn't keen on that you might try putting out food in a large pen with an open gate with a long rope on it and pull the gate shut-behind the goat. Our last resort is to simply chase the goat until it tires out, and then we can catch it which is not much fun, but it really amuses the neighbors. None of this will probably help, but good luck. rc

4. Noz

Noz Junior Member

Love it! How do you know that they are appetising? I'm interested to grow up insects for the chickens... this is lower on the trophic level and therefore more efficient, but I like the taste of eggs:) chicken that is :lol:

5. Noz

Noz Junior Member

that is a pretty good observation - other goats!! Why don't you borrow or buy the other goat back & try to get it to visit its mate?

6. PRAWN

PRAWN Junior Member

Goats are range forage animals. So don't try putting them on pasture that his lacking in plant/grass/tree varieties. If they feel like grass they will be selective, if they feel like scaling halfway up a tree to get the most tender of leaves they will. Provide a basic salt lick for dietry needs.

They also need shelter from the elements. They get sad and irritated if wet and cold. They hate the wind. The can't stand wet feet (not to mention the disease associated). They love to play, so grab a few pallets or something similar for them to jump around on.

The need a routine to follow. So feed them at the same time each day, milk them early in the morning. Talk to them in a loving caring way.

Can you tell....I LOVE GOATS!!

7. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

I was away when this thread started so sorry to buy in late.

Losing 20% of your stock in a short time is a huge deal. I would be looking for sources of poisoning like crotelaria or ironwood. I would also be checking to see if there are no ex-dipsites on the property or arsenic treated posts. Are there any rubbish heaps they can access? Are they chewing other treated wood. I have seen one goat and cattle that have consumed windblown breadbags that seemed to give them respitory disorders.

Did the farm previously run livestock? Have you asked the neighbours for advice? Were the goats imported from another [flora] region? Are wild dogs an issue?

I hope you can spend a week with your goats and observe them a lot. They are great animals to be around.

cheers,