Glyphosate & Phenylketonuria

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by milifestyle, Nov 12, 2009.

1. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

This is more for a private research project than a ''chemicals are bad'' thread.

Glyphosate works by...

Users of Aspartame and other products containing phenylalanine are warned not to consume the product or to at least watch levels of consumption.

Since Glyphosate inhibits phenylalanine among other amino acids, how would exposure to glyphosate effect sufferers of Phenylketonuria in their management and treatment of the condition and could the use of Glyphosate increase the liklihood of births with Phenylketonuria ?

Resources & explanation notes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylketonuria
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylalanine

2. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Re: Glyphosate & Phenylketonuria

Remember doing a test at Uni on individual differences in ability to taste pheneketones.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 163830.htm
    Phenyketonuria is supposed to be tested on all new borns in hospital.( A wet nappy is needed).
    Is it?
    You don't hear much about it these days.

Is this relevant

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

PKU is tested on all newborns (unless their parents don't consent of course). And its a blood test - a heel prick that goes on a paper card. And you don't have to have a baby in hospital to be able to have it done either.

4. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

From the surface level research i have currently done, The incidence ranges from on average 1 in 15,000 births.

The country by country stats range from

1 in 4,500 births among the population of Ireland
    I have not found any evidence of restrictions of use of glyphosate in Ireland (Any links with further information would be appreciated)

1 in 13,000 births in Norway
    Pests are limited in Norway due to length of growing season etc. From what i have read Glyphosate use in Norway is not restricted but its use is minimal by default.

Fewer than one in 100,000 births among the population of Finland.
    There appears to be some restrictions of use of Glyphosate in Finland. Interestingly Finland has a large percentage of the research on Glyphosate and other chemicals. I would be interested in hearing from anyone from Finland to find out what specific restrictions are in place...

5. Michaelangelica

Thanks for the correction eco it is along time since I have been in a classroom
    Still very interested in medical stuff though
    (In the hpe one day i will discover what is wrong with me ! :))

Wiki:-
    Can you get access to this?
    The amounts being sprinkled (flooded?) onto the planet are staggering EG China alone:-(and this is the concentrate!)India is also a big producer. Do Monsanto still bother making it?
    https://www.prlog.org/10216518-research- ... -2009.html

Phenylalanine is in Coke, isn't it?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency
    Classification and external resources

Tetrahydrobiopterin
    ICD-10 E70.1
    ICD-9 270.1
    eMedicine ped/2226
    Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency (THBD, BH4D), also called THB or BH4 deficiency, is a rare metabolic disorder that increases the blood levels of phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is an amino acid obtained through the diet. It is found in all proteins and in some artificial sweeteners. If tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency is not treated, excess phenylalanine can build up to harmful levels in the body, causing mental retardation and other serious health problems.
    High levels of phenylalanine are present from infancy in people with untreated tetrahydrobiopterin (THB, BH4) deficiency. The resulting signs and symptoms range from mild to severe. Mild complications may include temporary low muscle tone. Severe complications include mental retardation, movement disorders, difficulty swallowing, seizures, behavioral problems, progressive problems with development, and an inability to control body temperature.
    It was first characterized in 1975.[1]
    ][/quote:3kwb13u0]
    Same plants (almost??) that are high in tryptophan a precursor to serotonin and important in so much gut and brain activity including mood/depression.

6. Michaelangelica

Thanks for the correction eco it is along time since I have been in a classroom
    Still very interested in medical stuff though
    (In the hpe one day i will discover what is wrong with me ! :) )

Wiki:-
    Turkey, at 1 in 2600, has the highest incidence rate in the world. The illness is also more common in Italy and China, as well as in Yemeni populations[24].

Phenylalanine is in Coke, isn't it?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency
    Classification and external resources

Tetrahydrobiopterin
    ICD-10 E70.1
    ICD-9 270.1
    eMedicine ped/2226
    Tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency (THBD, BH4D), also called THB or BH4 deficiency, is a rare metabolic disorder that increases the blood levels of phenylalanine. Phenylalanine is an amino acid obtained through the diet. It is found in all proteins and in some artificial sweeteners. If tetrahydrobiopterin deficiency is not treated, excess phenylalanine can build up to harmful levels in the body, causing mental retardation and other serious health problems.
    High levels of phenylalanine are present from infancy in people with untreated tetrahydrobiopterin (THB, BH4) deficiency. The resulting signs and symptoms range from mild to severe. Mild complications may include temporary low muscle tone. Severe complications include mental retardation, movement disorders, difficulty swallowing, seizures, behavioral problems, progressive problems with development, and an inability to control body temperature.
    It was first characterized in 1975.[1]
    ][/quote:2yzonebk]
    Same plants (almost??) that are high in tryptophan a precursor to serotonin and important in so much gut and brain activity including mood/depression.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2522108
    Hasn't there been a re-think about suplementing with folate when pregnant?.

7. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

If a plant can become "Glyphosate tolerant", the enzymes glyphosate attacks are (i assume) either no longer effected by glyphosate or the plant makes more enzymes than it requires to fight off the attack ??

Animals get Phenylalanine from their diet (Plants). Would consumption of Genetically modified (glypho tolerant) food increase the levels of Phenylalanine in the diet ?

Could glyphosate effect Phenylalanine in animals similarly to the way it effects it in Plants ?

So many questions... so little time to look for answers...

8. Michaelangelica

Make time, no one else will. Remember Lorenzo's Oil?

This is intersting (i don't know why yet)
    Wiki;-
    There have been a number of reports on Nigella sativa L. -- Black Carawaymedical research of late. It seems it can be used for everything from asthma & migraine to diabetes!

Also

9. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Tyrosine is highest in Seeds, Grain & Nuts as well as animals (and animal products) whose diet is high in Seeds, Grains & Nuts.

10. Dalzieldrin

Dalzieldrin Junior Member

thanks for the PM. i've really only skimmed what's been posted so far, so apologies if i repeat what someone's already said:

Phenylketonuria is where you're lacking a particular enzyme, phenylalanine hydroxylase, and so can't convert the amino acid phenylalanine to tyrosine (the latter is just the former with a hydroxyl group, -OH, tacked on the end...hence 'hydroxylase'). phenylalanine builds up and causes trouble - the amino acid gets converted to a ketone and this shows up in your urine: hence phenyl-ketone-uria.

re. glyphosate inhibiting production of phenylalanine. if one assumes that this inhibition only takes place in plants, then, question answered, it won't affect amino acid synthesis in mammals (including the bipedal, hairless ones).

but even if it did...all that's going to mean is that there won't be a supply of phenylalanine that the lack of phenylalanine hydroxylase is then not able to process

so, based on that rough summary, no, glyphosate would not be expected to cause Phenylketonuria.

which is not to detract from the fact that it's still a dangerous poison and if it has to be used should be used with caution

11. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Thanks for your thoughts... much appreciated.

Is there evidence to suggest it does (only takes place in plants), or do we need to make assumptions at this stage ?

Could glyphosate exposure over time (in a mammal) cause Phenylketonuria in offspring of that mammal (human species) ?

12. Dalzieldrin

Dalzieldrin Junior Member

I've no idea if there's evidence for plant specificity one way or the other (ie. whether it only works to inhibit plant amino acid synthesis) - my point was that whether it does or not (either by evidence or assumption) this isn't going to have any influence on phenylketonuria.

to illustrate...assume for a second that you have rock solid evidence that glyphosate inhibits amino acid synthesis in humans...and that you've pinpointed that someone exposed to glyphosate runs the risk of decreased phenylalanine synthesis...considering this in a very narrow context you can say that a phenylketonuric isn't going to be affected by this, it just means they're not going to get a buildup of an amino acid that they can't metabolise anyway.

it's not outside the realms of possibility that glypho could cause phenylketonuria - but it doesn't follow from the scenario you're presenting, ie. because it's known that glypho inhibits amino acid synthesis

13. haus

haus Junior Member

hello all, I have been wondering the same thing recently and found this thread during my research into the question at hand.. but I'd like to take this back a step.. forget about glyphosate being the culrpit repsonsible for Phenylketonuria, is there any way, Agrobacteria itself might be responsible, seeing it DOES have the ability to pass genes onto animals ?

(using T-DNA etc etc)

and let's even take this a step away from scientific theory and simply let it ride as a potential. theoretical question...

seeing Agrobacteria is being used as the vessel in which to carry glyphosate resistance..to roundup ready crops etc..
    what if a bacteria already "roundup ready" somehow was able to infect a person ?>
    ???

14. milifestyle

milifestyle New Member

Good question

15. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

bit late on this one but eric i think asked if there was evidence that chemicals or processes used in GMO concerning glypho' or whatever else they want plants to cope with, and do we really know the full story, would doubt it, they work under what the eye don't see the heart don't yearn for.

a common phrase sued by supporters of corrupting our food used to say things like: 'no one has gotten ill', 'no one has died' so it must be safe, aspartame and other stuff comes under those same rules.

how would they know what effects on human health or animal health the meat/eggs of which we eat, they couldn't have any idea, as thee was never any human trialing to develop parameters around so when/if cases presented they would at least recognise the health issues, nothing they could do about it as the system would forever be corrupted unless they dropped the process maybe. so there is no parameters eg.,. a tyre is flat when the rim sits on the ground(only on the bottom but hey lol). i have CFS; T2DB; hypertension; and probably developing parkinson's. no marker tests for CFS or parkies, T@DB test corrupted as they have no test for food intolerance, so wheat, gluten and all grains intolerance can cause T2 symptoms.

we are guinea pigs for scientists to use and make money for themselves and their chem' co's and worst of all behind the scenes investors.

CFS is still an anomaly a misnomer, there is no test for it it includes in its symptoms Fibro Myalga, there is no management for it from medico's some of which believe it is a psycho somatic syndrome, get 20 or so people in a room with it you have at least 20 different diagnosis.

so no they don't know and they care even less all driven by greed and corruption.

the latest on the glypho front: once a farmer determines his sorghum crop is mature enough, he sprays it with glypho or similar to kill it off so he can get an earlier harvest and another crop in, so thinking latterally why wouldn't corn; wheat; rye; barley etc.,. farmer be doing the same it allows them to say beat teh weather with no care as to how their over hybridised crops effect human digestion.

all lifestyle syndromes/illnesses (not couch potato lifestyle, but modern food quality lifestyle) all caused by immune system permanent damage at genes level, and unrepairable, well they can't offer a fix without owning up to corrupting food hey.

teh soil around the gatton area still contaminated fro DDT and Dieldron use in the 50's

no parameters no recognition for issues caused.

just checked that Phenylketonuria, wow even more likestyle issues, at least they recognise this one probably never be a fix but some management, we are all but doomed. thank you science.

my circle of deceit by the system goes something like this; 'they keep us fit enough to make us sick enough so they can pump untested medicals into us to keep us alive enough so we eat their corrupt food to keep fit enough, then around it goes again and again infinitum, then when i doesn't work over weight etc.,. they blame us.

len

16. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

Reminds me of:

[​IMG]

17. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

yep a circle covered by a pyramid of greed supported by many here, those on the bottom did not cause the problem but those here are going to make them suffer miserably.

we just deserve a simple basic life(duck quick enter grasshopper), we don't buy designer clothes, decor or cars. i wear cheap as thongs and right now i have on a thread bare shirt about 10 years old.

but your pyramid is true some here should note. cause and effect eh cause is at the top and the effects waft down to the unfortunate.

len

18. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It says 1911 on the bottom of the poster - here we are 100 years later and have we moved on? Or did we just replace the religious layer of 'we fool you' with the popular media?

With respect to the question about bacteria - I wonder if Monsanto will come after people if they can prove that the modified gene has implanted itself in the human genome and claim they stole it!?

19. haus

haus Junior Member

answer found

The answer my friends, is a sad YES.

Agrobacterium CAN contribute the someone developing PKU.

heres how..

The encoding gene responsible (PAH) for the enzyme responsible (Phenylalanine hydroxylase) for the Hydroxylation of Phenylalanine to Tyrosine.... CAN be DELETED, mutated or at the least, modified by T-DNA from Agrobacteria.

I can post my sources if needed.

and I will once I find em again...

20. haus

haus Junior Member

From that source..