gliricidia lifespan

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Anuhea, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Anuhea

Anuhea Junior Member

If gliricidia is planted from seed would any trees started from cuttings have a lifespan tied to when the seed was planted? In other words, if gliricidia has a lifespan of 50 years, would the cutting taken from a 30 year old tree have a 20 year lifespan?

Related question...Do these trees have a shorter lifespan in wet climates? We have over 80" rain a year, often more.

Thanks!

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Re: gliricidia lifespan

Eloise,

I wish I could be more authoritarian on this but I cannot, I am not a horticulturist.

I will offer my experience though but I will question your questions.

One of the beautiful things about tropical horticulture is that you can 'quickfix' so many situations. I have not grown gliricidia from cuttings so -

1. cuttings, in my experience, never last like the true seed grown tree.
    2. seed grown trees have a better root system
    3. even if I am right, tree cuttings of leucena, gliricida, moringa, albizia etc will outlast their 'usefulness' in most tropical situations.. and why not..just hack them down, compost them and move on.
    4. Cuttings have, from my experience, a proclivity to disease, rot and insect attack - it dont 'make them wrong'...

I live in a 40'' tropical rainfall area and have also been located in a 76'' tropical rainfall area for a number of years.
    If you live in an 80'' rainfall area, you can plant seeds and then remove any 'cuttings' you have planted.
    Test this yourself, poke a few gliricidia cuttings in a pot/or the ground. Plant gliricidia seed and see what happens. Normally the seed after 2 years will match the cutting.

If you wish to plant a gliricidia 'fence' then this is a different matter with different priorities, expectations and outcomes.

If this is your 'real' question then ask it.

cheers

ho-hum

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year

https://www.agroforestry.net/tti/Glirici ... icidia.pdf
    [*]
    [*]Habitat Grows best in warm, seasonally dry climates with 900–1500 mm (35–60 in) annual rainfall and elevations 0–1200 m (0–4000 ft).

I wonder do they sucker like the thorny Ribinias? I don.t know the tree well but I believe seed grown plants would have a better root system.

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

What a facinating question Eloise. you may need to spend some time on google Scholar to answer that-if anyone knows.
    My guess would be that you turn back the clock and re-run the life span

My experience of cuttings has been a little different to ho hum's
    I always make cuttings of sage which seem to last beter for me. I am in a "10" climate zone when sage's upper range is '9'. It rarely survives our steamy Februarys .
    (clime Zone 10 . . . I just realised . . . 10/10 that's good eh?)

This might also interest you-- a new way of planting (some) trees that promotes growth to a surprising and remarkable degree:-
    Episode 29 - 15/08/2009
    Long-stem Planting - Angus; Managing Tree Populations - MP4
    https://www.abc.net.au/gardening/video/download.htm

5. Anuhea

Anuhea Junior Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Our purpose for the gliricidia is living fence posts, so starting from seed simply won't do. Hopefully by time the trees give out I'll have enough money to replace them with wood posts, or maybe just more gliricidia!

6. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

I think cuttings are chronologically at '0'.
    BUT it does make a difference to growth/fruiting where on the parent plant you take them from. I won't try and get into it as I'm no horticulturalist, but look up 'ontogenetic age'.

7. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

I will put this Question to my teacher tomorrow. he is almost a guru when it comes to stuff like this.
    I will get back to you tomorrow night. :)

Thinking about it if the tree was 20 years old and you took a cutting from one year old wood then technically you should have a one year old plant. That makes sense to me.
    But hey i am just a student. :)
    But in saying that if you grow a plant from seed and it takes 5 years to bear fruit you will have to wait 5 years.. correct? Yes.
    If you take a cutting from a 5 year old tree that is fruiting the cutting will have the potential to fruit next year.....

Ok i am confused. :?

8. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

Ok i asked my Tafe teacher today and he said that if you take a cutting it will only be like a one year old tree.
    so if you take a cutting from a 30 year old tree that has a life of 40 years the cutting will be 1 year old.. therefore it's life will be 49 years.
    Hope that makes sense.
    As for the other part I was rambling on about. the cutting from a 5 year old tree that has just started fruiting... the cutting although only from one year old tree will be mature.
    So although it is only one year old it has the mature capacity to produce. hope that makes sense.

:)

9. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Clear as mud :) ;)

10. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Gliricidia fence would be best established with cuttings if you want a near instant fence and have the wood. In australia I would be tempted to use Albizia Lebbeck or rain tree. It is a plant I can just rave about and probably will in a new thread.

Depending on your situation, and what sorts of animal you wish to contain, another plant I would consider is Leucena or Coffee Bush.

Both leucena and albizia seed is readily available in large quantities. All of these plants are tropical legumes and can become weeds if not managed.

cheers,