Giveaway 4yr old chooks

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by jkshed, Nov 5, 2008.

1. jkshed

jkshed Junior Member

I have 3 Isa Brown (I think - the usual produce store variety) chooks to giveaway.

They still lay the occasional egg but eat it before I can get to it. So they're good for scratching around and manuring only. They've been free ranging in the back yard with scraps and occasional scoop of grain and are in good nick. I want to use the space for a broody and chicks so they have to go.

I can email photos if needed.

Pick up from Jimboomba (between Brisbane and Beaudesert.

Jo.

2. dylanz

dylanz Junior Member

Re: Giveaway 4yr old chooks

They eat the eggs ? I've only heard of this happening if you regularly feed the chooks egg shells. If they need calcium, I've heard you can bake the egg shells, until they turn to dust... then, just add that to your feed.

3. jkshed

jkshed Junior Member

Re: Giveaway 4yr old chooks

Chooks will eat eggs if they break, then they get a taste for them and break them themselves. That's why it's recommended when you add eggshells to their feed, to crush them up so they're unrecognisable as eggs. Mine started eating because they've been left to themselves and I didn't realise they had been laying again.

Jo.