Ginger

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by RutabagaGirl, May 7, 2012.

1. RutabagaGirl

RutabagaGirl Junior Member

Has anyone successfully grown ginger in a temperate climate? I live in zone 6. One permaculture web site said that if you live in a cold climate you won't get very much. Would you get a lot if you planted in a container and brought it in for the winter? I like ginger :)

2. labradel

labradel Junior Member

i have a ginger in a pot at the present it the first ginger i have been able to grow so far and bringing it inside for the winter is a good idea i think i will try it any way rutabagagirl give it a go then we will both know how it went and i live in northan victoria where are you

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Even in the subtropics it dies right down in winter - so don't be disheartened when it goes brown and shrivels up on you!

4. RutabagaGirl

RutabagaGirl Junior Member

I live in Louisville Kentucky.

5. Pakanohida

Pakanohida Junior Member

In zone 9 I have sprouted ginger, it lived did well. Then I over wintered it inside the house, giving water when needed. It has 3 new sprouts this spring, and has awoken nicely.

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

heavy mulching is the answer to keep root runs warmer for a period and when it dies keep corms viable until the next season. grow in pots so you can move pots to sunniest spots for winter, in the garden full sun would be best in the northern hemi' a southerns aspect, southern hemi' opposite aspect. alternatively grow gal-n-gal we find it just as good, it is ever green in warm temporate and frost hardy as well as drought hardy.

len

7. NJNative

NJNative Junior Member

8. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Probably pushing it, but what have you got to loose but a knob of fresh ginger?
    A micro climate near a hot sunny brick wall might be an idea.
    Sometimes store bought stuff is sprayed with something to stop sprouting, so you may need to soak it, changing water daily, until you see a bud appear.
    If you break off a bit make sure to let the wound dry/heal before you plant.
    As mentioned by others, there are a lot of varieties some edible some not, some more cold tolerant than others.

I have some 4 year old ginger now that i have not harvested yet. Apparently the Chinese prize this and give it a different name (sadly lost in translation as "old ginger") and use it in different ways.
    https://www.gardenate.com/plant/Ginger?zone=6

9. Unmutual

Unmutual Junior Member

I assume you're talking about the above ground part of the plant, and that it will resprout in spring? I'm in zone 9 also(Coastal Louisiana).

I bought 2 ginger roots from 2 different grocery stores. One I did not soak, and it has just now sprouted. The one I did soak sprouted very quickly, so I can attest to this.

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Yes - spot on.