Ginger & friends winter companions?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Tegs, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Tegs

Tegs Junior Member

I grow my ginger and turmeric intermingled in my rambling edible/ ornamental garden. I do not lift the rhizomes but leave them in the ground to use as needed.

I would like to find a companion plant that would be suitable to grow over these dormant crops during the winter so they don't just look like a dead patch of dirt.

What annual herbs or ground covers would be suitable?

(I am on the central queensland coast)

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Companions: Basil, tomatoes
    Avoid: Onions, turnips

If you want some thai basil, drop round, I have quite a few that have popped up around the place.
    Got a few tommy toe tomato plants too.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

for the ginger not sure about tumeric, all we do is mulch heavily about now right up against the remaining tops cover a good cover of ground, and the mulch keeps the soil moist enough and warm enough for the rhizomes to come through winter. is the tumeric the edible kind? would like to try and arrange to get some from you next season if at all possible. for this our first year the ginger stays in pots now until the ground warms, gal-n-gal ginger is an evergreen even in frost areas. just planted native ginger for the 1st time ever got no idea how winter will affect it we get light frosts. but we will mulch it heavily to protect the root system.

len

4. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    What about NZ spinach as a ground cover?

5. Sandman

Sandman Junior Member

If you're like us and have a mild winter and very warm summer, I think comfrey might work well. Here, comfrey grows well all winter long with no care at all, despite a few light frosts. In summer, it grows so slowly it almost goes dormant. If your climate is similar, I'm thinking the comfrey would serve as a living mulch during the winter, then you could prune it back as your ginger and termeric emerges. The root system of comfrey is very deep, so it shouldn't interfere. The comfrey prunings will be loaded with great nutrients and would make great mulch or compost ingredient. I'm not sure how much cold comfrey can take before it goes dormant, but it never gets that cold here where we live.