getting started in denmark

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dm_obrien, Jan 27, 2006.

1. dm_obrien

dm_obrien New Member

I am about to move to Denmark and sart on 1.5 acres. Does anybody have any experience there or anything that may help.

2. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

welcome! you talkin' 'bout Denmark, Western Australia, or Denmark, Northern Europe?

3. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

LOL!
    965!

4. dm_obrien

dm_obrien New Member

Denmark

I am talking talking about Denmark Europe right outside the city of Fjerritslev to be exact. I was just just hoping someone might have some experience mini farming, gardening there and would be able to offer some insight as to the ins and outs of growing in Denmark. I have tons of ideas but it would be nice with some other input.

5. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Cool! I love the idea of Denmark. No idea about growing there, except that with those long days you can probably grow big pumpkins and stuff.
    Good luck and please share your experiences with us.

6. dryland dweller

dryland dweller Junior Member

something to do with spam perhaps?
    does the word Valium ring a bell you tosser?
    Pete

7. freak_dk

freak_dk Junior Member

Denmark

Hi
    I'm living near Hobro in Denmark - not to far away from Fjerritslev.
    I'm doing a bit of permaculture myself....

8. hedwig

hedwig Junior Member

sow! the climate is VERY different from what you are used in australia. First you have to learn the stages: when it is winter summer....
    really.

9. Rick r

Rick r Guest

actually I am from the U.S., Ohio to be exact. Though I have spent the last two years helping to run an organic small farm in eastern Pennsylvania. Yes the climactic factors will be the biggest things to get used to.

10. Rick r

Rick r Guest

this post is for freak, how did you end up in denmark. is there anything you've learned from the growing conditions that would be of help? What are you doing there, with your land etc...?

11. freak_dk

freak_dk Junior Member

Denmark

Hi Rick.

How did I end up here in Denmark? Well... I was born here :lol:

I don't know how the climate is here compared to where you come from, but I can tell you how it is here.
    We have a fairly short growing season, so we have to store much, and to grow some vegetables that can stand the winter.
    Wintercrops are leeks, kale and other types of cabbages.
    Crops for storage is potatoes, carrots and a lot of other roots. Also pumpkins and zuchinies can be stored. Onions are almost essential.

If you want to grow tomatoes, cucumbers and capsicums you need a greenhouse.

I'm a vegetarian, and I can actually grow all the vegetables I eat during the year.

When are you going to move here?

Karsten

12. Rick r

Rick r Guest

I will be arriving in april, my partner and I (she is danish) have land in Fjerritslev.

13. britishwhitesrock

britishwhitesrock Junior Member

Good luck in denmark, you should do well there, they seem to have a vested interest in organics and have an amazing research team up there (especially if you want to keep pigs)

Added bonus most of the chicken you'll buy will be free range. During my research I have noticed a bias towards danish reseach in permaculture and organics. You are lucky to be moving to a progressive country. I believe the rest of the world will catch up someday but for now enjoy.

Good luck

also since the land is so small I would seriously consider looking into the benefits and pitfalls of square foot gardening. I've seen some amazing things done in 1/4 acre backyards!

14. Rick r

Rick r Guest

Well I dont know if I agree to much with the "progresive" tag, countries wich import colonial cash crops (all the industrialized western nations) sugar,cocoa,avocados bananas etc. are to me far from "progressive". Anyways I am pretty familiar with getting the most from small land space. The past two years I have worked on a "small" farm(by US standards)5 acres and we didnt grow row crops. We had intensively managed beds(175 squar feet each)and grew 80-90 different varieties of vegetables all this for a CSA serving 300 members getting 10 items a week each. The area in wich that fails is the fact we relied on so many off farm inputs and machinery(tractor, cultivating tractor) the place doesnt spend time trying to grow soil. Far from anything resembling sustainable, yet all the rage in the US, the CSA if it wants to move into sustainability will have to focus less on the crop output amd more on building soil, then the crop output will follow. I was lucky enough as well to spend time at sonnewald farms in south easten Pennsylvania where nearly two acres of bio intensive all hand agriculture is practiced with quite the results. I hope to try to blend bio intensive with permaculture and bio dynamics and hopefully within time achieve a home of food self sufficiency. That to me is the way people can strive to leave behind and overturn the exploitative economic, political situation of te world.