G'day

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Rebekah Copas, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Rebekah Copas

Rebekah Copas New Member

Hi everybody,

The other day I got surfing the net and landing in the PRI website, from a link out of Facebook probably, and since my surfing is speedy usually, I sort of skimmed through stuff, but the word "addiction" caught my eye; although in retrospect I must say I can't find anything about addiction in the site now, so I could have been hallucinating.

However, I am myself working at developing an addiction recovery therapy, which will feature learning permaculture design as a recovery strategy, among other things. But it is early days yet. The plan is for a culturally appropriate indigenous Australian drug rehabilitation sort of project, mainly since I know too many indigenous addicts, who find it very uncomfortable accessing non-indigenous oriented AA and NA groups. So far, I am working among a few medicine men, a few too many of who had become addicts themselves through the excessive rates of incarceration of the indigenous population, but we are working so far, only within indigenous cultural contexts, and so it is a bit difficult to define what we are up to, within any Euro-centric cultural context. But I am willing to keep the permaculture community posted about this work.

My own immediately obvious skill is in homeopathy, and if anybody knows any opiate addicts who need a kick start into wanting to work harder, I have a booklet and set of homeopathic medicines which will work. It is a bit controversial in homeopathy to prescribe the same shit for everybody and anybody with the same problem, HOWEVER, in the case of opiate addiction, everybody's symptoms are so alike, that it works. Actually, in the case of opiate addiction, if you use the more particularly individual symptoms, the patient is at more risk of overdose and epileptic seizures, whereas, the sequence of remedies which treats the specific psychology of opium addiction, also prevents risk of epileptic seizures, (although it brings opiate tolerance down, so the risk of overdose increases but only in people who were that careless about themselves already that they may not want to learn to work harder).

The funny thing about me entering these forums, is that during the past few days, I had a bit of a long look at all the bios of Australian members of the Worldwide Permaculture Network, and landed a bit of a bizarre yarn in my own bio, with another bizarre link thereupon. And then, after reading everybody else's bios, it got into my head that I might write an essay for all the permies, about effective communication within indigenous Australian cultural contexts. I thought I'd think it through awhile, but then the words started tumbling into my brain, and I just had to sit down and write. It is now 30105 words later, and the first 17701 words already got posted into the permaculture network site, as a set of 5 or 6 sections of the whole essay, (in 8 sections by now). So I might get around to posting the whole thing sooner or later, (after another reread maybe), however, what is delaying me right now, is that the battery in my laptop needs replacing, so I've an errand to run first.

As part of my planning for developing indigenous rehabilitation therapy, which will need to be culturally appropriate across a few different cultures, (mainstream Aussie, traditional indigenous of my Kinship, and former-prison-inmate type indigenous, is three at least), I also want to learn more permaculture, (which is something I am involved with as often as I get myself out in the garden), and, .............. now can't recall what I was going to say also, about one of the steps along the way. Oh well, it will come back to me when I need to know, I am sure.

Thanks for reading my intro

Rebekah

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Wow Rebekah - I look forward to reading your work. You might like to email it to Craig Mackintosh the editor of the main PRI site to see if he'll publish it for you (they even pay you!), rather than here. It'll have a bigger readership on the main page, and it's something that would be really useful. (His email is on here)

You may have read something about addiction in the context of fossil fuel use. There are some discussions within particularly the Transition Town movement that the stages involved in weaning ourselves off fossil fuels are the same psyhcological process as dealing with any other addiction.

3. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Rebekah, that all sounds awesome, I am very excited about what you are doing. Can you please post a link to your WPN page (or I'll have a look later and post it)?

Welcome to the forum, I hope to see you in the threads.

cheers,
    pebble.

4. Rebekah Copas

Rebekah Copas New Member

Hi, and thanks for your replies

Now reminded, I am sure that the weaning off of addictions to fossil fuels, must have been what I had seen too/but it is nevertheless humorous for me myself, how much my mind is attracted to anything at all mentioning addiction and addiction recovery. An addict to the theories of addiction recovery, I sure hope that in practice I will prove just as adept. (Although the h-inter-net h-a-bit needs a bit more work today.)

Here is my url at the network site:
    https://www.permacultureglobal.com/users/2745-rebekah-copas

And thanks for the referral to Craig MacKintosh. It is good to know that work is more likely to be read via an editorial process. I have to get back to stressing out about my laptop battery not charging up, and get off my son's computer now, but have to say that I am a bit excited about the essay I have just finished too. Brimming with confidence that it will lead to more than just words about theories, in fact. Thanks

5. macey

macey Junior Member

thats an amazing intro!
    welcome, definitely look forward to reading more of your posts in the future