Gday from Queensland Australia

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Chookie, May 19, 2014.

1. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Hi there everyone, I'm new to this forum so just thought I would join in and say G’day:hi: Would be great to get some ideas and advice on upcoming projects. I did a PDC over 10 years ago and have been learning more ever since, best thing I ever did.

I finally own about 3/4 acres and have spent most of the time getting it back to a clean slate but now I get to play :party: I'm a bit of a chicken fanatic, so have designed and begun constructing a moderately sized garden with an integrated chicken tractor system. Cant wait to get my spoilt chickens to work! I've experimented with different chicken tractor designs in the past and have encountered a few problems which this time round I hope overcome. So if anyone has links or advice in regards to good and decent sized chicken tractors, I would love them!

Reading some of your posts here has been really inspiring. Good to see others with a passion for Permaculture.

Chookie

2. Terra

Terra Moderator

Hi Chookie and welcome
    Congrats on your property , start a thread in the members section to document your progress , with chicken tractors ease of shifting is no 1 I recon . You can see pics of mine in Terras Patch (members section) just a chook dome , most of these are really light and that would be problematic here (strong wind) after a lot of thought I built one I can lock my chooks in their shelter box on wheels flick my dome on its side and roll along to the next patch , also the weldmesh ring cant be ripped open by predators . As always I guess it depends if you want to work large areas or garden beds this will influence your design .

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Gday Chookie! Which bit of QLD is home? I'm in Nambour on the Sunny Coast (but the house is on the market…. so maybe not for much longer). Who did you do your PDC with?

I'm a chook dome user of over 5 years now and still love the system. I think if I was starting again from scratch at a new place (probably will be…) then I would make a shelter frame out of wood and PVC piping to make it light (wind isn't a problem for me, its being able to move it on my own) and make it one arms reach wide and 2 arms reaches long, so I could make single or double reach garden beds easily. My dome is smaller than the official Linda Woodrow design (3 not 4 m) and I don't like that I have to step onto the bed to plant / harvest things in the middle.

4. Stephy

Stephy Junior Member

Welcome to the forums Chookie :D :D

5. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Thanks for that Terra, I'll post a few pics soon, its slowly getting there :)

Checked out your thread and really liked your chook domes. Some good pointers on compaction of the soil etc and the materials you have used for them are great. Loved seeing the irrigation being set up as well, this will be one of my upcoming projects once the tanks are in, so was good to see your set up.

Your right about the size influencing the design. There are 5 large beds each one being 3mx8.4m in size, so a movable tractor would be too difficult. This is ok though because I plan on keeping quite a few chickens so the size will be equal to the amount of chicken I will keep. The main chook house and beds will be permanent and fully enclosed, this is also due to weather issues. The beds will be rotated simply by shutting a gate and opening another. The main chook house also has breeding pens/isolation bays and a dry enclosure to shelter them during storms etc.

6. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Hi eco4560, Im just north of Brisbane near Samford:)

I did my PDC as a part of a 'greencorps' scheme the government was running at the time. We were regenerating an old sandstone mine site with permacuture principles in the Blue Mountains NSW. The PDC was part of the 6 month program, so thanks John Howard :D

7. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Thanks Stephy :)

8. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Well I never…. I just can't imagine a Liberal govt paying people to do a PDC. Tony wouldn't stand for it!

9. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Farm biz subsidised mine!
    But we get alot of subsidi es!! It helps stifle our initiative!!

10. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

I haven't done a PDC. Oh, the shame, the shame of it all.

Hi Chookie, I live near and work in your area regularly.

Don't be afraid to stop chipper trucks for a "chat".

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

LOL!

SPO sounds like you need to get in on this primary producer gig and get the govt to pay for you to sit down for 2 weeks…..

12. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Just got back from Bali and went to an Eco stay permaculture resort.

Went up the mountain to look at big trees with a young guide, family are subsistence farmers but he scored a good job at the "resort". Can you imagine the difficulty in explaining a chipper to him? Once he worked out what it was, he couldn't fathom why you would put nice pieces of timber into it.

13. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

But yoove read the Bible!(PDManuell!)

14. S.O.P

S.O.P Moderator

Ahh, but that's only one book. And I actually felt like a permie before I read it.

15. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

hahaha yes being a centrelink run program he would of cracked that whip for sure!

16. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Bahaha!

17. Chookie

Chookie Junior Member

Hi S.O.P and thanks, I may take you up on that offer, was reading your thread and your place looks amazing. We have been keen to get some bamboo in as well, so would be great to get some advice...Looks like you have had a bit of expertise in that department ;)

18. tyler

tyler New Member

hello everybody... Tyler here in Florida..

submerged in americas toxic soup
    Lifehere gasping for fresh air now but
    Long ago hunched on all fours we had to prove ourselves build strengh learn and with time soon be rewarded the respect to stand tall and erect now days we have lost his respect by going agasinst his ways... The way food is so far from nature the way it is so far from what it was intended the food made in the lab an not in the woods..... We have lost his respect for we have lost our ability to live long joyful lives we know longer stand tall because or backs are weak for our bellys are large and were sick from what we eat and how we degenerte pur system with toxic synthetic pills being mislead like were some sort of a lab rat econimcly strapped to the slave driven society working our lives away for meaningless tasks not for what were ment to or our hearts urge us to but what were told to or led to doesnt have to be the ending but yourstart to new begining
    We diss his grace as we build our own graves down a road of tretchery you musnt hesitate to ask for his forgiveness seek the questions to ask that ypur heart desires to know thee answers to.... For its a dieing world out their pe apart of the team who is thee earths life support (PERMACULTURE)

I want to help any way i can. Learning everything from efficient living permaculture/horticulture hugelkultur off grid sustainable farming/gardening grey water systems to cob building and managing a food forest to feed people natural whole chemical free foods to grafting quicking and easing the fruit production fermenting for preserving improving and properly preparing food for better health to bee keeping as our pharmacies it all intrigues me but i dont know where i should take my first steps where and i should spend my money and time what would be best

I was wondering if you had any courses in mind i could take or if you have a direction you could point me in to take my first steps.. Ide like hands on work an to be serounded by like minded caring people to do better knowing theres people out there that have me on their radar and know what im after. I am fresh out of the high school world any advice would be greatly appreciated.. thank you

19. andrew curr

andrew curr Moderator

Welcome Tyler!

ooooo