Gas and mining projects

Discussion in 'The big picture' started by permiewannabe, Aug 29, 2016.

1. permiewannabe

permiewannabe New Member

Health
    Climate:
    Temperate
    Hi everyone,

I've just finished watching the documentaries Gasland and Gasland II about hydraulic fracturing and the methods used to produce unconventional natural gas.

How concerned are you that mining and gas industries are going to be allowed to continue expanding all over Australia polluting the ground water, damaging the environment, releasing hazardous chemicals that permeate and contaminate our food, water, live stock and human systems? It's already happening here, but just not on the scale that's occurring in the USA (yet).

Does/has this been a factor in deciding where you will/won't purchase land?

This link https://data.erinsights.com/maps/fossilfuels-au.html I obtained from the 'Lock the gate' campaign and I quote 'New mapping reveals that 37.3% of Australia is covered by coal and gas licences and applications. That amounts to 285 million hectares - an area almost 13 times the size of Great Britain!' That is alarming.

From what I've read, Victoria is the only state in Australia that mandates that land holders can refuse, they must give permission, for mining and gas company's to utilise their land. Everywhere else, regardless of your wishes, big business can take you to court and gain permission to extract resources. Has anybody read anything differently?

I just can't imagine buying a beautiful peace of fertile land and building my home and permaculture dream to have it irreparably polluted and damaged.

Where have/would you consider buying land in Australia?

Be interested to hear people's opinions.

Many thanks,
    Permiewannabe

2. Bryant RedHawk

Bryant RedHawk Junior Member

Arkansas Senior Appraiser
    Climate:
    USDA zone 7b,8a.
    I'm not in Australia but... When we were looking at land the first thing I did was check the aquifer system to see where our ground water could come from.
    The land we purchased is (so far) not connected to the aquifers that are under the fracking (Hydraulic Fracturing) areas in Arkansas. This means that for now at least, we won't have the possibility of contaminated ground water. I'm sure that this could change as soon as the greedy gas companies find a pocket to be exploited. One of the biggest concerns in my state is that the fracking has been linked to an increase in seismic activity along the New Madrid Fault Line, a fault that has in the past had one of the largest earthquakes on record because of the amount of area it affected. The number of earth quakes in the central US has been increasing yearly, ever since the technique of fracking as been used.

I would recommend that anyone should locate the maps showing the aquifer systems (geological survey, water-science) as well as any fault lines. By knowing both, you can then make a relevant decision on possible contamination and possible earthquake frequency occurrence. These should help in making a good decision on land purchase. Also make sure you have all mineral rights in your deed (fee simple) so you won't get a surprise later on.