Gardening Australia Festival

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Antonino Giglio, Sep 29, 2005.

1. Antonino Giglio

Antonino Giglio Junior Member

Heila'!

Does anyone knows if it is worth going at Gardening Australia Festival?

Is it worth the 20 dollars 4 the ticket?

2. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Hi Tony,

Yes, I went last year and am going again this year. Saturday actually.

I really enjoyed it plus it's a nice setting. Parking's a bit of a hassle though but only for country bumkins like myself who doesn't think of checking for restrictions and ends up incurring a fine. :evil:

Rick Coleman from Southern Cross Permaculture Institute was there and had set up a great mini permaculture model. He even had a chook tractor with a couple of australorps. :D

My son was rapt cos the Bananas in Pyjamas were there too and shook his hand. :wink:

Earth Garden or The Goodlife Bookclub, whatever it's called now had a stall with heaps of books which I'm intending on pouring over again this year.

I've actually got a bit of a list of items I'd like to get if I see them too as you can usually get pretty good 'field day discounts'.

Last year we both couldn't afford to go so I went with my son on the Friday while hubby was at work. I'm a tightass so spending $20 on anything like this is usually unheard of for me, but I did enjoy it enough to want to go again. This year we're both going cos I booked in advance so supposedly got 2 for 1 but it doesn't really work out that way. I think that's worth it, but probably wouldn't have gone if we'd had to pay $18.50 each.

FYI

Pre-booked 2 for 1 ticket offer - $21.00 for 2 adults*

$17.20 per Concession tickets**
    Free for Kids under 16 yrs.

Ticket Prices at the Gate:

$18.50 per person
    Concession $15.00
    Under 16 years Free

** Concession includes aged and invalid pensioners

The booking fee was $5.50. 'Ticketmaster' - bloody ripoff considering they don't even mail them out.

Tam

3. barely run

barely run Junior Member

If this is the same one as in Sydney recently I was rather disappointed. Lots of points of sale...not much or enough info...very poor parking with big fees..really bad food access and variety...and only one permaculture site...nth sydney...which didn't seem interested in talking too "outsiders.
    Was not my best day out and I drove 5hrs to get there...admittidly that wasn't the only reason for going to Sydney...Never going again but
    Cathy

4. psychochook

psychochook Junior Member

Disappointed in the Melbourne gardening festival

Hi all,

How did you all feel about the garden show. I went on Sunday and I have to say I was disappointed.

As mentioned by Cathy, there was not a huge amount of information available. I was looking for more alternative farming information. There was some around (Southern Permaculture Institute for example) but felt it was a little too mainstream for my liking.

I am also always frustrated when I go to all these expos or shows and find that there are stands selling things that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject (eg - wonder broom which will get a all the dog hair out of your carpet, chocolate stand selling chocolate salami etc). What they have to do with gardening I have no idea.

Now I appreciate that this was a gardening show, not an alternative gardening show, but with Josh Byrne doing such a good job of promoting the permaculture and organic movement and Andrew O'sullivan helping to further the recycling and organics cause I had hoped that it would have resulted in some more alternative options.

5. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

I went on Saturday and had a good time. I've gotta admit, I'm pretty used to these type of expos and their irrelavent trade stands, having done the agi circuits for years with my horses.

What annoys me though about some of the trade stands is that they sell things like REALLY EXPENSIVE preserves etc, invite you to taste them, then can't understand why you don't want to buy them. I mean, we're gardeners for God's sake, we're looking for ways to be able to PRODUCE things like that, not have to BUY them!

The thing is, and I've touched on this subject numerous times previously, functions such as this are designed to LURE people over a little, people who would normally be quite conservative. Gardening Australia have an enourmous following and many of those are die hard traditional gardeners (we're talking gardeners here, not farmers) who like things neat and tidy and cherish their ornamentals. If you threw straight permaculture at them, they'd fair'dinkum run the other way. I had an experience just like this at my garden club's garden walk last week and posted about it. What you need to do is appeal to their curiosity just a little, and leave them wanting for more.

That's just what Rick Coleman has achieved with his model of permaculture. It looked attractive (a far cry from his own property, sorry Rick) and had little tips here and there to capture people's attention. I think he did a wonderful job.

The talks in the main auditorium area (if that's what you'd call it) were very informative and a lot of them also touched on recyling and organic gardening. (once again, as opposed to farming) Once again, there was enough information to get people wanting more, and that's how you win them over.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed. I felt that way when I attended
    Seymour's Alternative Farming Expo. I didn't find much ALTERNATIVE about it, and there wasn't much on FARMING either. Too many stalls selling gimicky crap. We won't be going again. We've scheduled FarmWorld into our annual calendar and enjoyed that a lot more, even though it wasn't alternative.

Tam

6. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Tam, what and where is FarmWorld?

7. Cornonthecob

Cornonthecob Junior Member

About four years ago I went to an expo type thingy in Dalyesford (sp?).....very very alternative. I'm talking bare foot and sarong walk out of the hills sipping wheat grass alternative...lol lovely people though.

Not sure if it still happens.....but if it does It's well worth going to.

:)

8. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Fran,

Farmworld is held at Lardner park SE of Waragul. It's pretty hardcore farming with $200,000 combines, etc, but lots and lots to see. I think it's around the 2nd or 3rd weekend in April.

This year we secured an excellent field day price on our chainsaw. Retailing for $1,397.00, the best our local place could do was $1,299.00 including a spare chain. One of the exhibitors offered a field day price of $1,099.00.

Like I mentioned before, although it's not an alternative expo, you'll still get your organic and alternative method traders as they're just as keen to elbow their way into the farming market as the next bloke.

Corny,

The one in Daylesford sounds great, but do they do anything, or just wander into the bush? :lol: :?

Moora Moora have their fesitival in Feb (I think) and there's a lot of really alternative stuff there. They also have tours of the clusters so you can actually go into some of the houses. But that's a festival, not an expo. I'd tend to describe Gardening Australia Live as an Expo.

Tam

9. Cornonthecob

oh the time I went Tam they had everything (no I won't list it all! :p)

if it's alternative farming you're looking for, sus out if they still have the 'expo'....sorry I can't remember what they called it.

10. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

That sounds great Corny, I'll check it out. Hopefully they still do.

Plus it's such a beautiful area. I'm going out that way this weekend to St Erth (Diggers Club - Blackwood) and to Ballarat to look at a silkie cockerel.

Tam

11. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

Hey Tam, you think $200,000 is hardcore,, check my work website for used machines :) esp the green type. https://www.emmetts.com.au

We have the Wimmera Mallee Field days here in April, and they are huge.. As someone said before, they aren't alternative, however you will find great bargins, and lots of good ideas and inventions.

12. Cornonthecob

St Erth is beautiful...I think they might still have their daffodil festival on??

Ballarat? lol take a jumper!

13. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Excuse me Dan while I just nip out and buy one. :lol:

Oh bugger, I don't think it'll fit in my garage!

Tam

edited to say: thanks for the advice Corny. I will :shock:

14. Cornonthecob

15. Franceyne

Franceyne Junior Member

Thanks Tam :) I'll keep an eye out for it next year. I enjoy the Seymour expo...but there is a lot that I just don't look at because I know I will be disapointed and frustrated with.

Cornonthecob, I too would be interested in knowing which festival you attended - Daylesford is right on my doorstep and it does sound interesting :D I had a look through the calendar listing but could not work out which one you attended.

Cheers,
    Fran.

16. Cornonthecob

Hi Fran....it was four years ago. All I can remember is that is was at a park on one of the roads that led to the dam/river??

I don't recall what it was called...but it ran for a whole weekend.

I'll have another peep at that link I posted soon and see if I can spot it.

17. Tamandco

Tamandco Junior Member

Thanks for the link Cornonthecob. Wow, there's a lot to look at. I'll really enjoy perusing through some of those.

I noticed that the Garden of St Erth Daffodil festival is mentioned. Hopefully it'll still be in it's splendor this weekend for our visit.

Tam