Garden Website a global success

Discussion in 'News from around the damp planet' started by Michaelangelica, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

https://www.armidaleexpress.com.au/news/local/news/general/website-a-global-success/1727705.aspx
    Bit of hyperbole here?
    You pay for your position on a search page don't you?
    Still it is interesting how so many people are starting a veggie garden these days. Every second person you talk too-- my bank teller -my guy in the paper shop etc. It is an epidemic!
    BTW I always thought that Google charged a fraction of a cent every time someone clicks on their add. Well no, any decent search words are charged at 25c -$1 per hit or more!

2. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

I used to go and look at that site. But after a while it struck me that it was mostly people asking questions, that mostly never got answered and even if they did the people who asked the questions never returned to see the answer (or at least acknowledge the answer) and then the conversation was limited to the last 10 entries or so, so that you go back in a few months and there is a whole new list of people asking the same questions again. It is a nice little list of 'what to plant now' though I guess.

I have also been thinking about this backyard vegie garden boom, which on the one hand I think is great, but on the other hand I think it may sort of backfire for some or many. The problem is that most people are still stuck in the monoculture-neat-rows-of-vegies-from-nursery-bought-seedlings way of doing things. And I reckon if you worked it all out it would actually turn out to be a fairly expensive exercise for most hobby gardeners. At the same time propping up a nursery industry that is a bit of an environmental problem in itself... But still it is a start I guess and I shall look at the bright side ;)

3. Michaelangelica

God i wasn't miserable until I got here!:(

Yes I agree,-to all- I am surprised there is any decent land left in the Sydney basin to grow any veggies on. backyards are a thing of the past.
    Thanks for the feedback on that site The WTP list is nice but I'm a bit between his Zones.

To defend the Nursey industry many horticulturalists don't like poisons 'caus it makes them ill.
    However nurseries to survive economically must save time and money (time=money) If they force feed plants or grow them hydroponically they can at least double their production or halve their time compared to letting mother nature work her magic in the pots.
    So you have stunning plants in Woolies/BBC/ etc that die when they hit real dirt or with a week with the care of the Woolies highly trained horticulturalists.
    I have not seen any great demand or even labeling of plants as "organic".
    Until people decide to pay a lot more for organically grown plants this probably wont happen.

Most nurserypeople i have met are kind, generous, open people with a love of nature, plants and the environment. Many go to great and expensive means to conserve water and recycle water and run off nutrients. Many use little residual pesticide and are very highly trained and aware and responsible when using anything too toxic or lasting. Few drive Porches.

Many nursery people despair when they see people happily spend $50-$100 PH on dinner and/or a bottle of wine. Dinner that the Chef maybe took a couple of hours -all up-to cook. Yet these same people winge at paying $25 for a 2-3 year old tree that has been tended watered, weeded, fertilised, taken up space, protected from the elements, and grown expertly for 36 months(!) and will increase the value of your home and surrounds.

One area that concerns me is the fumigation of hothouses- mostly done for vegetables etc not as much with plants. Methyl bromide is being phased out because it destroys the stratospheric ozone layer that protects us from harmful solar radiation. The chemical replacing it sulphuryl flouride which helps the heat the atmosphere. Nice choice?

The only way to stop manufacturers using chemicals is to pay the money and demand that they don't. "Be the change that you want in the world" as Gandhi said.

Also you may have to change some laws of the land. Did you know that every container coming into Oz with anything remotly organic is fumigated? If not with methyl bromide the evil phosperine (I think now this may have to be done in the export country as it may be banned here?)
    So next time you much into you pizza just think of the fuming time the oregano has gone though to get to you!

Just to return the favor :) = :( a recent study (OS-Europe) tested mothers milk for 400 chemicals. In the small group sampled, over 270 chemicals were found. Only 400 chemicals were tested as that's all the reseachers could afford. What testing is done in Australia? (almost none)
    Bad? no, at least the ladies can excrete fat soluble pesticides, men can't. I wonder if that is one reason women live longer?
    I teach you to make me miserable! :)

4. thepoolroom

thepoolroom Junior Member

In answer to your question, no, you don't pay for your position on a search page. In fact, you can't even if you wanted to. Only the ads are paid for.

5. Michaelangelica

Thanks
    Can you tweek things so you do?

Another intersting garden site
    https://2-women-on-2-acres.com/march-moon-calender-2010/
    Info on herbal leys moon planting What is a blue moon etc