Garden border - What to use for no dig garden border

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I'm planning my garden for a new property that I have purchased. I like the idea of no dig gardens and want to make sure that my vegetables and other edible crops are grown organically. My dillema is that I want no dig and some terraced gardens but don't know what to use as borders that is economical. Treated pine or hardwood would be the obvious choice, but does the leached arsenic get into the plants??? Non-treated wood is not an option due to termites.

2. Chook Nut

Chook Nut Junior Member

Hi Vegie Boy,

I too am going through the same process just having moved to a country region.

I asked one of the locals about where i can get cheap material and have come accross the local demolition yard. From there i can source hardwood timber, bricks and besser blocks. The last two being well priced as 2nd hand and termite proof.

I think Australia will have problems down the track in where to dump treated pine as you cant do anything with it. There are studies around leading to the fact that there is leaching of Arsenic from treated timber. Some of my boxed gardens have been done with treated timber. I can assure you i wont be planting anything edible along the edges :O

I am sure you will get some other ideas from ppl on this forum

Cheers

Dave

3. Mont

Mont Junior Member

I read the other week that treated pine is soon to be banned in Australia so if you like the stuff get in soon!

4. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    I was out at some friend's (PDC Holmgren grad) last weekend and they have used recycled gal water tanks (which the likes of Jade Woodhouse also use). What made these look fantastic was the earth/cement render that was applied to the tanks exterior and over the top edge and inside about 4 inches. They look like giant terracotta pots filled with all manner of vegies. With their form they fit ideally into a mandela layout. In addition my friend's havemade this garden edge using old fencing wire and rubble (the core) to which they've applied a similar cement mix with the addition of aggregate. So instead of having a typically angular garden edge they have this smooth, rounded edge that flows around the garden. Very impressive, very quick and very cheap and resourceful.

I'll be taking some pics and posting them on my website in the future.

Cheers,

DD