1. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

I have a creek near me which is over run my gambasia, I was wondering if I could catch a large amount and incorporate them into my garden. I can't hot compost them as I don't have room and was hoping someone else had some ideas. Could I dig a bug whole and put them in it? Or what about at the bottom of a raised garden bed?

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

If I remember correctly Purple Pear filled a tank with dead carp and turned it into liquid fish fertilizer. Are you there Mark?

3. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

Or you could keep them alive in a tank and harvest their poo for an ongoing fertilising system. I just saw this recently in an aquaponics set up. However, you do have to put a little pump in to keep it all going round. The poo water gets pumped up to a bed of plants growing in quinken gravel. The clean oxygenated water gets sent back to the fish and the cycle goes on. To save yourself having to buy a tank and spend a bit of money, you could just dam off a section of your creek and put all the fish in there from which to pump up the water. Obviously you will have to feed the fish something too.

What are gambasia anyway is there another name?

4. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

There is no way I'm keeping live gambasia, I could get myself a $200, 000 fine. These fish are out competing a natives and eating their eggs. I live to far away from the creek to harvest water as well.

Mosquito fish is another name, there in heaps of creeks here, some people also incorrectly call them guppies, they are a relative off guppies but they have no colour.

5. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Mosquito fish

6. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

Thanks Grasshopper. I thought I posted this morning. There is no way I would ever have live gambasia in my possesion, it can be a $200 000 fine. They get slightly bigger than a guppy, males are about half the size of a female.

Could I do anything with tilepia and cane toad tadpoles? I was thinking I could dig holes through out the garden and bury them.

7. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

I don't think a tadpole can survive without water so its probably not necessary to bury them but if you are fishing them out then you should make sure they are far away from water so they can't wriggle back.

8. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

I would want to bury them to ensure nothing eats them as they are toxic, I would hate for my cat to eat any.

My thoughts over the last few days were to dig holes under the canna, gingers and heliconias to add organic matter. Then I can use the leaves as mulch elsewhere and I don't deplete the soil.

9. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    You can make a tea from anything - road-kill is great and fish are fantastic. It is problematic in an urban area but adding heaps of chamomile will assist in odour control and the compost preps along with aeration make for a sweet smelling and efficacious brew in a month or so.

10. Matt_95

Matt_95 Junior Member

I don't think Mum would go for that, I'm hopefully going fishing for tilapia soon so I'll try burying it under some plants and see what happens. Should I be worried about any toxins being absorbed from the tadpoles into the plants?