Fruit trees

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by dhass2, Jan 23, 2011.

1. dhass2

dhass2 Junior Member

Hi, does anyone have any suggestions for fruit trees in Tasmania? I would prefer dwarf trees that grow to about 3m and bear yummy fruit. Definitely would like a cherry tree, but which variety? I want to have 6 different fruit trees, preferably that don't all bear at once! All suggestions very welcome.:y:

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

Some stone fruits will need 2 trees to properly fertilise and set fruit some don't
    With Cherries you will need a Stella if you are only getting one
    Do some research pick early middle and late fruiting varieties so you have fruit over a longer period.
    I bought a flemmings book when I was setting up my fruit forest in Melbourne (over 10 years ago and since sold the house)
    have a look at their website and Im sure people will give you others
    https://www.flemings.com.au/fruiting.asp
    looking through their website, sadly the varieties available seem to have been drastically reduced in just a decade
    Also talk to your nursery see who they wholesale their bare rooted stock through and try and get a catalogue of what they have or can get.
    For me I went white nectarines, cherries(stellar and another I cant remember),moorpark apricot, almonds(all in one from memory?) apples, pears(nashi),white peaches,black genoa fig,blood plum and santa rosa plum .
    All my trees where espalliered so I could get a massive amount of trees in a fairly small inner city block.

Main thing I miss about not being in a colder climate is cherries and apricots and no fruit fly

3. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Self Employed / Semi-retired
    Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    Have any of you ever seen the fruit trees that have other fruits grafted onto one trunk? was wondering if they produce normal sized fruit and/or if the grafting would effect the other fruits flavors?

4. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    https://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1603/0022-0493-96.2.334 also came across this. little off topic, but concerns fruit trees nonetheless and the use of human urine, chicken/duck feces as fruit fly attractants. course why you want to attract a fruit fly is still unknown to me, but your the fruit experts. hope the info is useful.

5. dhass2

dhass2 Junior Member

Thanks a lot grasshopper - the flemings site was really informative and apparently my local nursery sells some of their trees so will have a look. Yeah, cherries are the best, can't wait!

6. dhass2

dhass2 Junior Member

wow, that was a weird little article, wonder why they wanted to attract the fruit flies? maybe to feed their chooks...

7. geoff

geoff Junior Member

dhass2, https://www.woodbridgefruittrees.com.au/ are the purveyors of a great range of dwarf fruit trees, all grown in your home state.

purecajn, multi-grafting doesn't affect size and flavour of the fruit. As for attracting fruit fly, the attractants are usually put into a bait station to lure the fly to it's doom.

8. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    thanks for the link, went to the catalog page but it seems to be unavailable. if u've used them b4 and have an xtra cope of there pdf catalog pls pass it along to me.

9. geoff

geoff Junior Member

They only make the catalogue available in March when orders commence. I have a 2009 catalogue I can send you if you PM me your email address (I have no idea if they can send to the US though.) but it doesn't contain the pictures and is a bit shorter on information that the stuff available in the website.

10. purecajn

purecajn Junior Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical, Zone 9
    thanks anyway. I was wanting it for visual reference. btw I thought the pm feature was turned off on this site because of some spam incident.

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

It's back on at present.