Fruit trees for Villacastin, Spain

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by robbob, Jan 11, 2013.

1. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Hello,
    I would love to get some tips at what type of fruit trees I would be able to plant on a big farm in Villacastin, Spain. What are the best grafters for that? Can the grafters be planted from seed? How long before being able to graft? How long till fruit comes out? I know I have alot of questions, but I really want to get it right.
    Thanks,
    Rob

2. matto

matto Junior Member

G'day Rob,

A good idea would be to go around the local area and find out what cultivars the locals are using and see what information you can get off them. The arid mediterranian climate would be suited to your traditional crops such as carob, oak, olives, citrus, figs and nuts such as pistachio.

It would also depend on the quality of your soil and water availabilty, and to extend your range with uses of microclimates that is real permaculture design. The success of your farm will be finding the right methods that will work in your location

Have a look for permaculture groups in Spain, I know there is Permacultura Barelona, and Jesus Ruiz is probably the most connected guy in Spain as far as agroforestry and all things permaculture. He runs www.lineaclave.org

All the best with it, at least when Spain is going down the drain economically, you will be able to feed your community, which is a most noble act!

3. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    What he said. Local knowledge is vital and observation of what is doing well in an area can be most helpful in plant selecrion. Talking to locals too will help lots. It may serve you well when talking to successful locals to get some soil from around good trees and, after diluting in water, spread the soil in the ares to introduce good soil biota to the degraded land.

Dont be afraid to try some marginal plants too as microclimates around the food forrest will allow for success where they would not thrive in isolation.

4. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. The problem with the area is that it is a cow and grain area. There aren't many people planting anything. I'll keep looking to see where I can find some help with plants.
    There's water for the livestock and I think by putting in swales, dams, and ponds, I won't have difficulty with water. The soil isn't good at all. I need to build it up.
    It is hard in Spain to get things done, but with will and determination, I will prevail.
    Thanks for the tips.
    Here's the median climate info:
    Median temp: 11.9º
    Minimum temp: -6º
    Max temp: 29.0º
    Precipitations 550.0 mm
    Hottest month July
    Coldest month January
    Rainiest month May

5. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Thanks for the advice :). I like the soil from around good trees idea.

6. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

7. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Hello Michael,
    The thing is I dont exactly know if Villacastin is Mediteranean or not. When I think of Mediteranean, I think of places closer to the coast, with less fluctuations in temp. Villacastin, +40° 43' 23.38", -4° 25' 0.80" (40.723161, -4.416890), has an altitude of 1100m. Internet says it has a CSB/mediteranean climate, but I don't know if citrus will grow well because of the cold winters. I loved the links you put on the post, thanks :)
    Rob

8. purplepear

purplepear Junior Member

Farm manager/ educator
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    warm temperate - some frost - changing every year
    A little cold is great for citrus. We have found in the Hunter Valley that a cold snap will force sugars into the fruits of the citrus making sweeter and jucier fruit. It shocks them into storing for the next generation.

9. robbob

robbob Junior Member

Thanks pear, which I wonna grow :). I hope they work out because I love citrus. I'll look to see if it needs full sun, where on the finca to plant and so on. This is fun :))). I am going over a list of plants right now.

10. Frank Gonzalez

Frank Gonzalez Junior Member

Congratulations for your (brave) project! Hi, I am Frank and here I enclose a link about a project we are running in Mallorca with Moringa oleifera trees. Please check the info: moringa can be used as fodder for cattle but it can be kind of a challenge to grow them in Segovia... https://moringamediterranea.blogspot.com Let me know what you think!

11. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Hello Frank,

My name is Jacqueline, I'm Dutch and recently moved to Spain to the Altiplano de Granada. It's a bit of a challenge to adapt to a new culture, climate etc.. We own a cave-house with a plot of land, around a hectare, that has some fruit trees (almond, apple, pear, figs) and an olive orchard. We have a acequia (water channel build by the Moors) so water isn't a problem. We are going to transform the olive orchard into a food (fruit) forest so I did lot's of research what to plant. I LOVE Moringa, but until now I thought it was impossible to grow them. We live on an altitude of 850 meters, with winters that can be around -10C (like last year) and dry hot summers with +40C; still a Mediteranean Climate but with extremes; so no citrus here ;-)). Even the olives had a hard time but they are though. So thank's for the info about the Moringa!

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Is a cave house really a house in a cave?

13. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Yes it is ;-))
    Now people have build houses in front of the cave rooms to make it more convenient and with more light.
    They are very comfortable though; not humid, and in winter time they are warm and in summer it is cool in the rooms, so
    no need for airco. You can Google Galera, Andalusia Spain and find out if you like?
    Thank's for the interest.

14. Frank Gonzalez

Hi Jacqueline, thanks for your message! This is funny because my family come from Granada and I spent all my summers in the family's "cortijo" near Motril, so I know perfectly well how is your situation now! I am glad to know that you love moringas. Adapting the tree to that climate is kind of a challenge but we belive it can be done and our "experiments" growing them from seed have been a success so far... Keep in contact and do not hesitate to ask for advice about anything on andalusian agriculture... Doei!

15. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

That's amazing - it would really interesting to live in.

16. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

That's amazing - it would really interesting to live in.

Just in case, I send a link from a very good friend that is a real estate agent, lots of info about cave houses and their benefits, lots for sale for almost nothing.
    A bit of a chalenge to find a cave-house with a plot of land, but that can be done.
    You can also come over to spend a holliday in a cave, to experience how it is.
    And...you're more than welcome ;-))

https://www.spanish-inland-properties.com/index.php?call=home

17. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Thank's Frank for your reply, but I definitely keep in touch, because I sure can use some help here and there ;-))

18. Frank Gonzalez

For instance, you ca get moringa seeds and products with this guys in Almería. They are the only supliyers in Spain and quite near to you!

https://www.vitalmor.com/index.html

19. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

Very nice site and YES, I'm going to order some. Hope that my "green fingers" will do magic ;-))
    And Almeria is very nearby. Better than to order on Ebay, where they come from India or the US.

20. jacqueline

jacqueline Junior Member

By the way, if you have some growing tips, I love to hear them.