Fruit tree suggestions?

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by kev on maui, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kev on maui

kev on maui Guest

Aloha,
    I am on maui and was looking for some suggestions for fruit trees that will do well at around 2500ft. elevation. The property in mind is up Olinda rd a ways for anyone familar with maui's microclimates. The property already has plenty of citrus. I was thinking about trying some low chill temperate fruits, sapote, avocado, fig, lychee. Any multistory tree reccomendations? It is a landscape job that I'm trying to mix permaculture with fufu pretty plants so aesthetics is a factor. Any advice is greatly appreciated Aloha

2. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

Kev,

You are in luck, one of our regs here has just moved from maui. Give him a little time and I have no doubt Richard will answer.

Welcome,

floot

3. Jez

Jez Junior Member

Welcome Kev,

Yep, Richard's the man for this advice! 8)

4. richard in manoa

richard in manoa Junior Member

Well not really cause I lived at 500 feet or so above sea level! I think Kevin you asked me the same question one time in person didn't you?
    Unless you are a different Kev... If you are the same bloke, how's Kira? Still at the newspaper?
    I think you have a pretty good start there... You could probably try the subtropical apples at that elevation couldn't you? Heck, you could probably grow just about anything up there, save for the truly tropical stuff.
    One challenge from what I have heard about that area might be the relatively shallow soil. Isn't that where the Eucalyptus robusta trees fall over fairly often on account of how the soil a thin sheet over some pretty solid rock?

5. christopher

christopher Junior Member

I have spent time in the highlands of Guatemala, and in Venezuela in the foothills of the Andes around Merida, both of which are higher elevation tropics.

Avocados are open to higher elevation.

If you can get it, chacho-fruta erythrina edulis is a great nut, an edible seed from an erythrina, a legminous tree with gorgeous canopy when it flowers, lots of pollen for birds, etc. It is originally from Columbia, but is used in coffee groves in Venezuela. It, unfortunately, will not grow at lower elevation (we tried :( ).

Coffee is a great subcanopy crop you could try. Coffee arabica likes higher elevations.

What do your neighbors grow? That would be a good place to start.

6. kev on maui

kev on maui Guest

Thanks for the advice. Hey Richard, same bloke. I think I did ask you a similar question once. Hows Manoa treating you? Kiras well, the job at the paper just switched to "freelance" today. She said to say hi and she hopes your family is peachy. aloha