Fruit fly

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by kevy0206, Sep 9, 2010.

1. kevy0206

kevy0206 Junior Member

Hi there, its probably been talked about on numerous occasions, but what is the best way of protecting my fruit trees from the dreaded fruit fly. Cheers.

2. kevy0206

kevy0206 Junior Member

Fruit Fly

Bump

3. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Have a search back through the forum - there was a long discussion on it this time last year. From memory you need lures to see if you have fruit flies first and then traps to deal with them. Good "hygiene" ie cleaning up fallen fruit so that you reduce their food source / breeding ground will help a bit (so long as your neighbour isn't letting his mangoes rot on the other side of the fence).
    Growing stuff that isn't fruit fly prone is one approach.
    You can also bag the fruit but you need to get in really early to ensure that they haven't been bitten first.

4. Grahame

Grahame Senior Member

Type 'fruitfly' without a space in the search field and you will get a dozen threads. If what you are looking for isn't there you might like to give a full wrap of what fruit you are growing and what your particular aim is.

5. kevy0206

kevy0206 Junior Member

Thanks guys, plenty of info here. Kevin.

6. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

we use mossy net or curtain material of similar ilk. also use male fly wick bait stations that helps a bit no effective female traps as yet that we are aware of, have some recipes for same on our site you are welcome to try.

len

7. TheKebun

TheKebun New Member

I have been using weaver ants on my fruit tree's for 2 years now and the problem with insect pest has since been controlled. I introduced them by getting a nest and tying to one of the tree's. Once they established themself's i used fishing string to tied them to each and every tree using tiny bits of raw meat as 'lures' on the string to encourage them to migrate. Now it looks like they are making use of the drip irrigation hoses as their 'highway'.

They do not have such a painful bite as one may be lead to believe from some television programs. Yes, one or two might bite you if they reach your meaty bits but it's just a prick.

8. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

LOL gardenlen

finally converted you to curtains :)

they are excellent at home and on trees you can get to

amazing how many people have ghosts intheir garden around my part of the world LOL

[​IMG]

Thats on our nectarine tree, the only other we have to worry about so far is the feijoa - the curtains will go on that just before christmas