Fruit Fly - I guess it won't before they are active again

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

Re: Fruit Fly - I guess it won't before they are active again

g'day vb,

mmm dunno? i would ahve certainly appreciated the n/l so i could try and and see how it might help with the female flies, that was certainly goodly amount you where giving me. yup try some yellow containers see what happens. have also heard the blue needs to be a cobalt type blue???

eco'

keep pluggin' hey maybe the females aren't around as yet it is only the male that gets frisky early same as with the cane toads, the girls don't come around untill the weather is right hey chuckle, wink.

edited in: hey eco', speaking of colours what if you were to tie some yellow tape around a trap near the entrance, even try blue if you can? insulation type tape maybe have to be bright yellow.

len

2. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Since your fruit fly problem is so intense, has anyone experimented with using Black Soldier Flies (BSF) as an area repellent against them? I'm sure you've read about them, but what about looking at them in a different way?

Dr. Paul Oliver has an article on using BSF to dispose of kitche/restaurant waste at https://www.esrla.com/pdf/biocycle.pdf.

"While actively feeding, the larvae secrete an info-chemical that permits them to communicate with other species of flies. This synomone allows them to tell other flies that it makes little sense to lay their eggs within an area full of actively feeding SF larvae. This interspecies communication is very effective. In the vicinity of the disposal unit, we note the near absence of houseflies and all other flies that are a pest to humans."

Then I read at the Black Soldier Fly Blog https://blacksoldierflyblog.com/ ...

"To attract the females, along with fresh food scraps, the liquid effluent or tea from an existing growing bin may be used attract fertilized females to your system. Simply 'paint' the liquid on the underside of the protective cap and lid, and nature will do the rest."

Somewhere else, I read that a woman reported that since raising BSF for her chickens, she has noticed an incredible drop in flies around her horse stable, for a greater distance they she had anticipated.

So, if the odor is what both attracts the females and discourages other varieties of flies, would it be effective to raise some BSF, and set a smallish vented container/bucket with kitchen refuse and BSF larvae in your fruit trees? Or what about collecting the BSF tea, mixing it with water, and spraying the tree trunk with it? Or growing a bucket of BSF at the base of some of your trees?

Sue

3. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Sue - interesting thoughts, must admit it hadn't occured to me eventhough I am quite familiar with BSF and have been seriously thinking of buying a biopod or at least knocking a harvester together myself. It would certainly be interesting to see if the scent works on fruit fly.

4. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I checked my traps this morning and I think I have fruit flies! I have around 10 brown critters about 4 mm long with translucent wings. Is this them?

Must be the yellow lid on the milk bottle doing the job at last...

5. gardenlen

can you show us a pic?

frut fly wings stick straight out, and yep maybe the yellow lid working as well.

think i'll do a trap or 2 with the urine one and try with blue and yellow tape around the bottle.

supposed to renew the liquid avery 10 days. it will still be dependent on when the females are out so you need to determine if the flies are female, and i'm sure we won't get many while it is dry they like the rainy periods and humidity.

len

6. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

https://images.google.com.au/images?hl=e ... e&resnum=4

google search for queensland fruit fly

I still reckon that in the home garden exclusion is hte best option

we have a neghbour who regularly lets the fruit from a very large guava rot and breed fruit fly -so traps have no affect

7. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Bloody neighbours hey. All your efforts can easilly be ruined by neighbours in all sorts of ways. The people who first lived next door to me thought it was a good idea to plan Eucalypts 4 or 5 meters apart all the way along the fence line - and I mean 20 centimetres from the fence. 15 years on, these things are bloody massive and have got to the point where I get no sun at all in a large part of my 1 acre block - especially during winter. The area where I have grown my vegetables for the last 6 years is now pretty much unusable in winter. Will have to see how it goes this summer before deciding whether I need to give up on that area altogether. Problem is I ddon't really have many viable other options.

8. gardenlen

paradisi,

you don't talk to teh neighbour at all? even if jsut to get the ok to pick all the guava fruit (that they obviously don't eat due to f/f) and then you can send that fruit to the tip? i used to do that with a neighbour wait for all fruit to set big enough and long before ripening would pick the lot realy helped with f/f management. maybe sling them a cabbage or some loverly tom's some time.

i feel our current explosion is because someone near by has a guava who or where we got no idea, there's no mango's near by and a couple pawpaws, but they where there when we first moved in.

g'day vb,

these euc's are they the forest type trees? if so just goes to show common sense plays no part in some gardeners minds, anyhwo their is a "duty of care" rule that will apply should one of their limbs or trees cause property or personnal damage to any around them, many in rural on large acreage now creating 40 meter buffer zones so their trees are less riks to others, does mean the loss of good habitat trees with hollows, but anything dead is viewed as being more dangerous.

len

9. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

Veggie Boy, here in the U.S., some places have laws that you have to be careful about what you plant, as you aren't allowed to block sunlight to other people's homes. I think it is mostly for solar (passive or active), but a vegetable garden might be included. Do you have any laws like that there?

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Sue - not that I know of. I am however aware of what Len is talking about and normally the best process is to advise the neighbour in writing of your concerns, so that if anything happens they have been duly warned. I think the best solution for me would be to get the neighbour to agree for me to cut down the trees - or at least every second one. I'd be happy enough to take responsibility for the job. Problem is that the last time I raised it it led to a fall out - we had previously been on pretty good terms. I'm confident that over time we will become friendly neighbours again and I may have a chance of getting agreement to their removal :? . I'm sure that any further mention of it by me right now - let alone correspondence - would result in an ireversible rift :( .

As I mentionned before, the current neighbours are not the ones who planted the trees in the first place - not that that changes the situation at all.

11. gardenlen

sadly vb,

tree plantings are just as a contentious issue as is fences, pretty much in the eyes of the law any plant you plant that causes your neighbour the threat of injury or structural damge to you buildings is open to littigation. other plants of contention are: ficus trees, and those exotic running bamboos(case some years agaon where neighbour didn't control their bamboo and got stroppy about ti when it was pointed ot the damage to foundations and paths etc next door littigation cost heaps in favour of the harmed person) as well as umbrella trees and even mango trees. sad that yor neighbour is so short sighted but in his case if the trees damage the fence he is responsible for the total repair bill, for me i'd be taking pics from now until then. if limbs drop the same take pics or video. adn teh roots too being that close to the fence maybe right now the neighbour would be obligated to install root barrier?? you might have to enlist the employ of an arborist or such?

one would wonder how much support like sue, suggests we might get in aus' if someones trees prevented you from installing solar devices?? be none for gardens sadly as they hold no imprtance.

used to sell plants at sunday markets and a neighbour mentioned to me that the watering o plants in our green house caused his yard to go boggy, yup i could see that and knew he had a case so then we decide oh well it was good while it lasted but! any extra expense was not worth it so we stopped selling plants, too easy hey we need to at least be good neighbours.

edited in: paying for their removal by you vb, that i see as ok but as for taking on any responsibility for anything that may go wrong that should be with the person employed to do the job and with yoru neighbour at the very least i would think?

len

12. gardenlen

ok back to the dreaded f/f,

catching heaps of males at present observations since recently cleaning out traps and replacing a wick.

so made up a mix using the urine method but this time added some syrup, next time might try mollassus? run some yellow and blue tape around the bottle near the entrance points did 2 layers of the blue to keep colour density. just a matter of wait and see now, but still don't expect females or many before rain appears.

len

13. dunc

dunc Junior Member

Yellow bucket style traps were used in the fruit fly trial I was involve`d in.

I was told by the exporter that the yellow colour traps were definately part of attracting female flies. Yellow tape could also be used above and below the entry point into P.E.T style drink container traps.

I do believe the Griffith Uni is conducting the controlled trials at Byron Bay.

I will inform you of progress as I learn more.

Dunc

14. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

I've read that females will not enter a trap. Dunc do you know if this is true?

15. gardenlen

maybe that's the lynch pin veggieboy?

which if so is going to be a major stumbling block. in the past in liquidtraps i never inspected the bug close enough to determine gender, just that they were fruit flies.

edited in: checked liquid fly trap, one fly type bug mostly yellow colour but very much like a small fly than a f/f and some other gnats and ants.

len

16. dunc

dunc Junior Member

I have certainly caught females in the trap we are trialing, and effective control of females was achieved with the mediteranean fruit fly in Europe.

Females will only enter traps that are designed for them, eg the protien baits formulated. I do not know much about the formulation, but should know more about the results of the trial next week.

Most traps only target males.

Dunc

17. gardenlen

righto yep fruitfly season is abck with a revenge, have killed huge amounts of mails until recent rains then the females appeared, now unless they are morfiesed as being already fertilised they are finding males to do the deed.

so now nearly all plants are meshed so yup great supply tomato's, but does nothing to get the female fly under control hey? still trialling those liquid bait recipes on our site the last one we used yeast instead of vegemite and trapped oodles of some little black beetle thingy, dunno what harm they do but they fall for the traps as do the odd other assortment of flies but nup no fruit flies.

hard to work the tomato's when they are covered.

still don't want to spray anything that could harm bees as the only bees i get to work for me is native bees.

forgot to ask are grapes afected by f/f? got a couple bunches of them happening this year only took 3.5 years.

guess it's time for 'dunc' to tell us about his trap?

len

18. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Don Burke in his mag. mentioned anew variety of Bacillus thurungerensis that controls fruit fly.
    Anyone heard anything about that?
    It would be a wonderful breakthrough, as the buggers are getting into oranges and even chillies these days.

19. gardenlen

g'day sue,

we don't have anything like that unless it's in the wind? our tree growing laws are to do with "duty of care" that is you can't plant a big tree in a position where if it dropped a limb or fell it could do damage to you neighbour, so guess they could easily draught a line in about blocking sun, but that to me is a whole 'nuther issue, there is little enough shade trees in back yards now in our hot climate with long summers, so to use the excuse about solar would not be at all fair, especially more so if the tree was there before someone purchased a place next door with the intention of installing solar, it should be let the buyer beware look around and try to determine what anything in the neighbourhood might impact on you. anyhow i would suggest if a tree is getting in the road then they may not totally have the best aspected house to suit solar, so lets not make the shoe fit. i mean currently people have to go through hell and high water to get a storm dangerous tree variety removed from their yards.

for me it is trees before solar too much nowadays we are treating trees like weeds.

len

20. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

This dosn't look too evil?
    https://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/fruit_fly_info.html