Fruit Fly - I guess it won't before they are active again

Discussion in 'Planting, growing, nurturing Plants' started by Veggie Boy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thought I'd start this thread since our discussion about fruit fly and different baits etc is not really under the best topic heading and may be missed by some that are interested. The discussion started over at https://forums.permaculture.org.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9162. I'll copy my latest post to this thread.

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Re: Fruit Fly - I guess it won't before they are active again

Yesterday evening I placed the following fruitfly traps and baits:

1. Hanging from my mulberry tree, a trap with wild may (a male fruit fly attractant)
    2. Nailed to my mulberry tree, an icecream container (on its side) with a strong solution of naturalure smeared all over it
    3. Hanging from a tree near my veggie patch, a trap with a solution of naturalure in it (probably one part naturalure to about 7 parts water.

Tonight I have gone out with a torch to see if anything has been trapped.

In the wild may trap I have 10 male fruit fly (a bit concerning this early in the season - given that nights are getting down to temps not much greater than 0 here).

No sign of anything on the icecream container (other than a moth stuck to it). This is not unexpected as this is not a trap as such.

Unfortunately also no sign of anything in the trap which I placed naturalure in. Naturalure is not meant to be a lure for a trap, but I'd thought that if it attracts the female enough for them to consume it and die when sprayed on objects, them perhaps the female would also enter the trap. I'll persist with this experiment - who knows, maybe no females around yet, or maybe they are no yet ready for mating (they are meant to be attracted at mating time).

Will keep updated.

3. gardenlen

gardenlen Group for banned users

g'day v.b,

where abouts are you about?

reckon it has been warm enough days for teh male to be about i need to refresh one trap with a new wick but the others from last season will still be working need to empty them today put up new wick and monitor, but i reckon on the males being active they usually come out earlier than the females. we run male traps all year long.

the thing is controlling those females in the past killing off lots of males helped but last year that did not hamper the females, we didn't get a single tomato or capsicum for that matter. so whatever you work out in female control i will be eagerly waiting.

got ox heart and roma in now already for a couple of weeks, not sure if roma maybe less susseptable to f/f or not, but i will be using mesh covers as much as i can.

len

4. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

If it was just the tomatoes that were hit, I think I would have given up on the fruit fly years ago and just grown the 3 types of cherries that come up around here self sown every year, but which if planted in a planned way I'd get great crops. These are not hit by the fly.

Problem here - and I imagine you have the same Len, is that the fly hit my toms, zuccs, chillis, capsicum, squash, some types of pumpkins and even my cucumbers. This is not to mention all the things that I have never even tried to grow, and my poor mulberry tree that produces many kilos of maggot infested fruit each year.

This year I will try and religously keep to a baiting program for both male and female and see what happens.

Len - did you ever get the naturalure that I left for you? Did you try it?

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm joining in the experiment here too. I placed a lure under the mango tree today. I used the recipe from Len's website for the attractant (the wee / vegemite / sugar / vanilla one). Will keep you updated with the results.
    It's my first spring at the new place so I have no idea what to expect. There are 2 mango trees growing in 2 different neighbors yards that hang over my boundary, and another within fly-flying distance down the road. My fruit trees were only planted in autumn so I have been feeling pretty smug that I would be immune.
    Until I read Veggie Boy's post.... That's almost my whole spring planting list you've got there!

So... assuming my lures tell me I'm in for trouble - give me some tips on bagging my growing babies to protect them, and anything else I can do to lessen the impact. I assume that I betta get to know these neighbors well enough to jump the fence and collect their fallen mangos and give them to my chooks.

I've been feeling very smug to date as the only "pest" to eat anything in the garden so far has been my chooks getting at my corn seedlings! Not even a cabbage moth in the cabbage (yet). Looks like I'm set for a dose of gardening reality.

6. gardenlen

g'day eco',

yes very handy if you can jump the fence and collect all fruit if possibe before it drops. i used to do that with a neighbour who had guava trees collect all the fruit in one hit problem gone. when feeding to chooks that is a very good way to control the f/f but the chooks may miss some also and the cycle begins, suggest maybe place fruit on some large tray so when chooks finished you can bag the remains and bin them.

len

7. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

the wee ghosties are back in my garden - the nectarine tree is wrapped in lace curtains. very very effective at stopping fruit fly

got some very cheap chux wipes in a roll -- using them to wrap the tomatoes in - should work fine

exclusion seems to be the best option - most effective anyway

8. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Exclusion is so resource intensive though. I tried it the first year we were here, putting bags over my tomatoes. Problem was that despite what is often written, when you have the fruit fly something shocking like we do, the bloody things bite the fruit as soon as it sets, meaning that even those that are bagged fairly rapidly will often have maggots :-(. A good option for a fruit tree - I agree.

9. dunc

dunc Junior Member

Here on the Northern Rivers of NSW I have been involved in trialing a new fruit fly bait that traps the females.

It is a hydrolysed protien style bait that has been very successfull in controlling the mediteranean fruit fly in commercial situations, in Europe.

It gave good control in mandarins, however their ripening time is not when fruit fly is at its most active.

It is currently being trialled in Stonefruit in an orchard near Byron Bay, so I will let you know how it goes.

Dunc

10. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Interesting Dunc. The product that I've been talking about is also uses a protein (as well as sugar) to attract the female fruit fly. I'm not sure it uses a protein hydrolysate, though I note that some of the newer baits now prefer a autolysed protein in preference (not that I have the faintest clue what this all means other than what I have read speaks about the former being salt based) What is the poison in the one you are trialling - do you know? Or is it just a lure which you add the insecticied to. The naturalure uses spinosad as the active ingredient.

11. gardenlen

yes dunc,

keep us informed, and if you like we are about to come into our f/f season and would do trialling here if that was possible.

vb, is naturelure usable as a trap ingredient? i thought it had to be sprayed around the place onto fences and into yellow buckets whatever? it the open application that is the concern as the spinosad is not bee friendly and we have so few here mainly natives i don't want to take the chance.

anyhow would like to be trying what dunc is talking about. the thought of getting enough covers for all the tom's and capsicums somewhat daunting , and then what happens with pollination under the covers? is the end result lots less fruit? my observations also indicate that in real bad f/f seasons the fruit is stung almost as soon as it sets. then there is the pawpaw fruit that we are going to use pantyhose sections to slide over the fruit, which means removing some fruit to make room. last year after the season started we never got to eat a tom, cap or pawpaw, so just pulled all fruit as it formed and dumped it.

len

12. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

Dunc is that the one from griffith university? Id love to get the recipe LOL

13. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Len - naturalure is not sold as a trap ingredient, which would tend to indicate that it does not work as such. I have set up a trap with a solution of naturalure in it and to date have caught nothing other than a couple of bush flies. When we were talking last year you were going to try some naturalure in some of your homemade traps to see what happened. I take it you didn't do that, or you wouldn't be asking the question. Give it a go at your place too and see what happens. Worth a try.

BTW - in my wild may traps (male fruit fly attractant), after getting 10 on the first day, I only got 1 on the second day. Yesterday (third day) I think I got about 6 more. Easy to count with these low numbers, but my prediction would be that before long I'll be catching them in the hundreds, so I won't be counting :lol:.

14. gardenlen

g'day vb,

yeh i opted out of naturelure, 2 reasons cost and the fact it is not a trap bait. for me i'd like to see fly numbers so spraying something around won't do that, as with netting the plants won't control the fly but should deliver fruit, the fly lies on the fly another day huh lol. we used yellow boards last year and only saw a couple of f/f on them wasn't worth the money for that job, caught lots of other bugs some of which may ahve been beneficial?

i buy the commercial wicks for the male fly traps but last year the strain of f/f seemed more virilant than other times or something like that as though we trapped thousands of males the females were still fertilesed.

len

15. paradisi

paradisi Junior Member

exclusionisn't too hard LOL

[​IMG]

Tomatoes protected by chux super wipes - got a roll very cheaply from somewhere and this is the best thing to use them for.

[​IMG]

Lace curtains and an old mosquito net. Just pegged.

16. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Baz must have forgotten to give your the naturalure I left for you Len. If my attempts to keep a strict baiting regime up this year works, I'll definitely buy naturalure again. If purchased in the larger containers (ie 4 litres), it is fairly economical in my view. If we decide it work well enough to be worth it, perhaps in future years a few people around here will be interested in sharing a 4 litre purchase - because at least that way it will be used while fresh. I notice the wild may has just about doubled at the place I got my last 5 litre bottle - so I'm going to have to be a bit sparing in using that also - but to give this trial a good go, will have to still make sure I'm using enough to be effective.

Must go and see how many fly I've caught today :lol:

17. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

After I sent my last post - I popped out and checked the traps. A few more flies in the wild may trap, but nothing in the naturalure trap. However, the most exciting thing I saw was that a female fruit fly had landed on the icegream container that I have put the thick solution of natrualure on and appeared to be consuming some :). I grabbed the wife's camera to take a pic. While the thing flew away before I was able to get in close enough to get a decent focussed picture - I did take a picture that has the fruit fly in shot. You will have to take my word that it is in fact a fruit fly and a female at that :lol:.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. gardenlen

yeh vb,

if it works i'd be inteested in a co-op.

yeh i wasn't sure what the eventual deal was back then i did see baz some time later but no mention of naturelure.

anyhow if you make it work we'll go from there.

i see you use blue container i thought yellow was better for f/f??? no expert here just i think i saw someone mention they attach yellow buckets to the fence and spray the naturelure in there.

just emptied all the f/fly traps and replaced 1 wick will do more wicks over the next month or less. soi can monitor the f/f rate from today.

len

19. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Used a blue container because it was all I had :lol:. Might source a yellow one later on - or paint something up. Shame about the naturalure. I put about 500mls in a bottle for you and left it with Baz. He put it down on the ground while we were talking, probably still sitting there :lol:. I think originally he'd planned to see you that day, but his tank hole digging probably delayed that and then the big November storm hit a few days later - so easilly forgotten.

Will keep you updated on the results ;-)

20. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Well either Len's home grown recipe doesn't work :shock: or I have no fruit flies. Nothing in my trap yet.... Still watching and waiting!