1. mutley

mutley Junior Member

Hi guys,
    we have a caravan on 5 acres at the moment which is our new home. Can anyone advise what people use for afridge when they have no power. I am looking at a small lpg fridge ? any ideas be helpful. Getting sick of the esky...

Regards
    Mutley

2. pebble

pebble Junior Member

Climate:
    Inland maritime/hot/dry/frosty
    Re: Fridge

there's some older threads on this, have a look using the search.

What climate do you live in?

3. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Kerosene frig, Meat safes,
    Do you need one?

4. toolworx

toolworx Junior Member

12 volt fridge Battery's and solar panel.

5. newcroft

newcroft Junior Member

6. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Mutley

If you have access to water, shade, a breeze, time and materials, try knocking up your own version of the Coolgardie Safe (see: https://museumvictoria.com.au/discoveryc ... rdie-safe/). We used to use one 'up the river' during summer and my childhood. I can remember the butter never melted, our bottled 'spa' (mineral water from the Hepburn Springs (VIC) region) was always cold, and most importantly, I can never remember dad complaining that his beer was hot. All this on days of 40-plus degrees c.

Cheerio, Mark.

7. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

8. hardworkinghippy

hardworkinghippy Junior Member

9. permasculptor

permasculptor Junior Member

10. SueinWA

SueinWA Junior Member

11. Mechandy

Mechandy Junior Member

Hi Mutley,

We're new to the forum so a lot to catch up on. I'm currently experimenting with a Peltier Device (12 / 24 volt) commonly found in small car fridge / food warmer containers (mentioned in another reply). I'm installing it into an old 'ice box' refrigerator and incorporating both water cooling (which provides hot water) and under floor cooling.

Peltiers are essentially 'transistorized' Heat Pumps, so they cool and heat at the same time.

These devices have progressed a lot in recent years although they remain somewhat inefficient unless set up well, however, they can provide small area cooling and even freezing under the right circumstances. They provide primarily 'contact' cooling through an aluminum plate, but the cooling area can be largely expanded by using very thick foam insulation. I get this from disused packaging to create my own highly insulated box.

These devices can be found in second hand stores, in fact I just picked one up this morning for $15.00. It will require some modification for installation, but then again, that's what I do for a living!

Try 'Googling' Peltier Devices or if you prefer, I can provide some links.

Cheers

Mechandy

12. ecodharmamark

ecodharmamark Junior Member

G'day Andy

Thought you could sneak in here without being spotted, hey?

Seriously, it's great to see you here. I look forward to the day (not too far away, I hope) when I can get over your way for a chat, and some decent advice on the subject of retro-fitting my push bike.

BTW, your website is looking very smooth these days. Well done!

Take care, Mark.

13. Mechandy

Mechandy Junior Member

Hi Mark,

Cheers, thank you for the very warm welcome and your positive comments re my site. I still have a lot of content to add and too few hours in the day! Especially after being flooded out yesterday.

Love the quote at the bottom of your posts, I haven't read it before and it's going straight into my favorite quotes book.

I am really looking forward to sharing ideas with you and other permie members here, also to your pending visit. It will be great to catch up, chat, and have a look at the retro-fit. Just let us know when you have the time, we have self contained accommodation, https://www.theunconventionalcellist.com ... ation.html that you'd be most welcome to use. The photo's in the link are a bit old and things have progressed a lot, we'll be posting an update shortly.

Take care, Andy

14. matto

matto Junior Member

gday again,
    a tyre pond will keep you beer cold enough and its a good excuse to go out to the garden take a chair and observe your work.
    https://www.foodforest.com.au/permaculture.htm
    down on the left is a cross section, stick you beer down low, no more than your arms length i guess. theres a plastic liner in their. good luck cuttinh the tyre down the middle.
    matto