Freezing Zest & Juice

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by helenlee, Jul 7, 2010.

1. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

I have the usual glut of organic citrus fruit right now & have been googling for ideas for preserving it. Everything I read says to only keep frozen citrus juice & zest for about a month. Does anyone here have any ideas about freezing it longer, or any experience with drying zest?
    Any other ideas about non food uses for citrus would also be welcomed - it's such a shame to see it go to waste & at this time of the year friends begin to avoid me if they see a bag in my hand! :)

2. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I gather you are OVER making marmalade by the bucket load? What about candied peel? And salt preserved lemons? I haven't seen that same technique used for limes but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

3. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

The only reason I still have friends to avoid me when they see me with bags of fruit is because I stopped giving them bucket loads of marmalade when they begged ...

What's the go with the salt preservation?

I either have to figure out a way to have limes all year round or get off the vodka lime & tonic :) sigh ...

4. Michaelangelica

Michaelangelica Junior Member

Citrus zests make good Pot pourris, usually with added cinnamon and cloves. An excellent 'wet' pot porri can be made with them that you boil in winter over the fire to purify the air and make it smell good. Very popular in Canada but rarely seen in Oz.

Try also pomanders. You must have fresh fruit to do this. Might be a saleable item around Christmas and is certain meanwhile to deter the plague.

Personally i can't understand how anyone can have TOO much marmalade.;)

5. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I'm with you - it's really nice on top of icrecream....

Try this one - https://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2017945.htm

It's really easy. I haven't tried it with limes, but I'm thinking salt preserved limes and tequila would be a match made in alcoholic heaven!

6. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

This is the first year that I have embraced the abundance of lemons our tree is producing. Usually they are a nuisance. With people here to eat them we have had stephanie alexander's lemon pudding almost three times in one week. Its so delicious. Instead of a third time though, i made the lemon cake recipe directly above it. Its great that there is labouring going on here as I can make lemon drink for everyone. And for myself when I drink a gin and tonic, i now put at least half a lemon in it. None of this measly slice of lemon.

I know that's not what you wanted to know about. Having the same problem as you i put out a call for ideas and someone mentioned limoncello liquer. Do you know of it. You need vodka. I haven't gotten around to making it yet but it seems to be quite popular so I guess its also quite yummy.

If you've got oranges, make that chocolate coated orange peel that the french invented. Its delicious. Lovely at xmas time. Make sure you use good quality chocolate. You can probably find a recipe on the net.

Use your marmelade in fruit cakes. Charmaine Solomon has a fabulous fruit cake recipe that calls for marmelade. I've used other jams in it too but marmalade is the best.

If you've got cumquats, plant a whole cumquat in a pot and when it grows up a bit, give these as presents to your friends instead of hte jam or sell them at some market.

7. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

An update on the preserved lemons situation - I was at the Nambour Garden Expo today and joined one of the cooking demos and it just happened to include preserving lemons in salt.... The only major change to the above technique is to put the lemons (whole) in water for a few days prior to cutting and salting. And yes you can do it with limes as well. Given that a bottle of preserved lemons retails for about 15 bucks you might be able to foist some of those on your friends....

8. sun burn

sun burn Junior Member

But what do you do with them? Do they work as ordinary lemons when you haven't got any left? I think they'd be good for taking to sea or for an outback trip but otherwise I wouldn't want any in my pantry. No offense.

9. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

So what do you use salt preserved lemons for? (other than drinking tequila with)
    sun burn ... can you post the lemon pudding & lemon cake recipe please? They sound great.
    There's no problem with the oranges ... mine are so nice we just eat them all fresh :)
    No one here likes fruit cake so that's out ...
    I'll try some of the potpourri stuff ... it was all the go when I was a kid in the 60's & 70's & I had a couple of aunts who use to do all sorts of groovy things with potpourri & clove studded oranges etc. Good memories :)

10. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

You rinse them, discard the flesh and use the rind only. Finely chopped in cous cous, or to add a lemon flavour to a meat dish (the one at the show was Moroccan chicken), in a salad to add some zing.

11. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

Chicken with lemons and olives is a really nice Moroccan recipe

marinate chicken pieces in the following marinade for at least 4hrs

bunch of Coriander
    onions
    garlic
    all minced together

fry chicken in oil or ghee in a tagine or pan
    when browned, add a 1/2cup of lemonjuice and a 1/2cup of water
    pinch of saffron threads,
    a little turmeric pwdr and
    a little cummin seed toasted and ground,
    salt and pepper to taste... err a bit lighter on the salt though.
    cover and cook over low to moderate heat 1/2 to 3/4 hr.

when done add preserved lemons chop up the skin into regular small sized pieces
    and some black olives
    cook for a further 5-10min

serve with hot cous cous and/or fresh french style bread.
    Harrissa as a condiment for those whi desire a bit of heat. :p

Lemoncello/ Lemoncino : recipe

zest of about 10 lemons...just the very outside of the skin, and as little of the pith as possible.
    zest of 1 lime too if you like
    a couple of lemon leaves
    put into a large bottle or jar
    pour about 1 litre 80-90% alc by Volume (grape spirit) ;) .
    leave for about 7-10days. not too long or it makes the lemoncello cloudy
    Then strain (through a coffee filter paper if you want really clear)
    about litre of water = enough to cut it back to about 45% ABV .
    If you cant get the 80-90% alc. just use 2 litres vodka (40%)
    then add about 400gm sugar/litre and allow to dissolve.
    allow to rest for atleast a month for the flavours to come together.
    best served straight from the freezer.:nod:

You can use 300gm sugar and 100gm glucose syrup to give a smoother mouthfeel

variation:
    Not really traditional Lemoncello, but I like to add
    a vanilla pod,
    about 2tspns coriander seeds
    and a stick or about 2tspns chopped of dried liquorice root
    to macerate with the lemon peel
    and you have something approaching a Galliano style Liquer.

12. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Can I come and live (and drink) with you Speedy?! Now I wish I had a lemon glut too.

13. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

Oh God ... now I'm going to have to embarrass myself in another forum ... but I have to ask ... is grape spirit brandy? And where the hell do you get 90% proof brandy?
    What's the difference in taste if you use the vodka instead of grape spirit?
    And finally ... does anyone have any tips for getting JUST the zest of the citrus with no pith? I've just zested about a thousand limes & it's bl@@dy hard not to get the pith in there no matter what you do ... limes seem to be much thinnner skinned than lemons.

14. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

I think the trick is to drink about 250 ml of Speedy's Lemoncello first. Neat. Then your eyes glaze over and you can't tell and don't care where the pith is!

15. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

:)
    Sounds good to me :)

16. Don Hansford

Don Hansford Junior Member

You'd be "pithed" :D :D :D

17. helenlee

helenlee Junior Member

18. Speedy

Speedy Junior Member

Not a silly question.
    Grape spirit is basically distilled wine and is clear,
    same as what brandy starts out as before it is put into barrels
    where it takes on colour and other flavours from the oak etc.
    It has a characteristic flavour from the grapes,
    but vodka makes a very good substitute for making lemoncello and other liquers.

Brandy is good to use if you're using oranges and are making a Grand Marnier or Orange Brandy style liquer.
    Bourbon + oranges for a Southern Comfort sort of flavour.

As for the pith, dont be too worried about a bit getting in there.
    I just shave the outer zest off with a very sharp, thin bladed knife...one that will shave.
    You could use a vege peeler if it's sharp enough or one of those microplane zesters, they're razor sharp.

19. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Heres a great summer drink, easy and you can drive afterwards.

Just thinly slice up a couple of lemonsinto a jug, pour boiling water over them, cover with a teatowel and let sit.
    If making it in winter drink it hot, if in summer, put it in the frdge and chill it.
    Dont add anything to it.( well maybe a bit of mint).
    You get a lovely lemon drink that isnt sour and very refreshing.