Free to a good home

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by earthbound, Dec 2, 2005.

1. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

I think I saturated the W.A. permaculture market with Yacon tubers a couple of months ago, and I still have some left......!!!!!!!

I've got 3 padded postpak bags left and just enough spare tubers, so anyone else in Aus who want some yacon, let me know and I'll mail it out...

First in best dressed, there's only the three packs left and chances are you may get an extra bag or two of some other veggie seeds in it as well... :D Sorry I don't think I can deliver to Tasmania, as you guys are a bit like us, in lockdown....

Post a message here in response so you can claim your spot in the top three, and then PM me your address. They'll all go out monday..

Joel
    :D

2. baldcat

baldcat Junior Member

I'm in ... You have my addy..

I'll introduce the suckers in to Jung and release the m onto the wimmera once grown BWAHAHAHAHAH

3. ~Tullymoor~

~Tullymoor~ Junior Member

Yes please Joel.
    Have PMd you :D

4. wwoofertobe

wwoofertobe Junior Member

me too!!

sending my details now...

5. Lolly

Lolly Junior Member

Um, what's a Yacon?? :oops:

6. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Hey turnstile, you never sent me your details.......? If you don't send em through soon I'll open it up to anyone else.... :D

Here's a link to some growing info.

And then info about the plant and it's uses below..

The Yacon (Polymnia sonchifolia)

The Peruvain Yacón (Llacon) grows at altitudes under 9,300 feet high, in climates that are warmer and more humid than those in which other tubers usually grow. Yacón usually grows in small farm orchards in mountains valleys. The area of the crop has not expanded much in recent decades. In some Andean valleys, yacón is sold at market fairs

Yacon — the root of a tall, leafy plant with tiny yellow sunflowers that Inca “chasquis,” or messengers, pulled from the pathside to slake their thirst — is thought to have originated in a Andean region of Peru.

Varieties. This root has little variability. It mainly has white or yellowish transparent flesh. Peru has the greatest number of varieties, and is the world’s biggest producer with an estimated 1,480 acres under cultivation.

Yacon is the ideal product for diabetics. The fructose in in the Yacon root consist of 35% free and 25% bonded fructose. Thus carbohydrates can be supplied even when the concentration of blood sugar is low. That prevents diabetics from hyperglycaemia (over-activity).

That means yacon is naturally low-calorie — a jar of yacon syrup contains half the calories as a same-sized jar of honey — and its sugar does not raise blood glucose levels.

In addition, oligofructose promotes beneficial bacteria in the colon. Certain modern health products, such as so-called bio-yogurts, have oligofructose added to achieve the same effect, but yacon already has that quality naturally.“It’s a diet food and a diabetic food,” said yacon expert Michael Hermann, Research Project leader of the Andean roots and tubers

The effects

The yacon’s oligofructose properties were discovered. by ancient peruviansbut the modern medicine found out that if the leaves are used in tea, it has the effect of avoiding the peaks that you have when eating sugary or starchy food, when your blood sugar level goes up violently, one of the biggest problems of a diabetics person. who have high blood sugar levels and whose bodies do not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone that would normally be released to process food.

It appears that the tea lessens the (sugary) peaks.

7. wwoofertobe

wwoofertobe Junior Member

i did i did! i'll send them again let me know if it goes through or not

8. gaywalsh

gaywalsh Guest

yacon

Hi Joel, If you ever have a surplus of yacon again, can I have a small amount please, as I have many allergies, and cannot eat anything with sugar. I have not heard of yacon before, but it would be interesting to see if I could eat this as a form of sweetener. Gay

9. Penny

Penny Junior Member

Late as usual Joel but I would love some (and I'm near so can pick up)

10. earthbound

earthbound Junior Member

Gay, if you PM me your postal address I'll send you some tubers..

Penny, well I'm definately not going to send them to you, you'll have to pick them up.... :D I'll be speaking with you shortly I'm sure anyway...

11. lorrie

lorrie Junior Member

HI Joel,
    I know its been some time since you posted the availability of Yacon, but I have just discovered this website. If you have any Yacon tubers available at some time would love to get some. I enjoy growing things to eat that are a little different.

Lorrie

12. lorrie

lorrie Junior Member

Hi Joel
    have just joined this site. If you have any Yacon tubers available in the future would be interested in obtaining some. I live in the Perth Hills.

Regards Lorrie

13. frosty

frosty Junior Member

Hi Lorrie

I am in WA and can help you with some yacon tubers if you send me a stamped addressed post pack :) PM me to discuss it further

frosty

14. CoVaH

CoVaH New Member

Reviving a 5 year old thread, anyone know where I can buy yacon tubers?

After watching a show on TV today, tried searching the net for availability, I am surprised these things arent more widely available by now.

I am in Morley WA.

15. JoeMerc

JoeMerc Junior Member

A pity you are in W.A otherwise I would have suggested Ebay